Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Casual Employee!

Casual Employee!

Old Aug 31st 2008, 2:31 pm
Living on the Gold Coast

Spellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Casual Employee!

Hi Sparticus

Yes, ambivalent is a very good word! Its not that I disliked Brisbane at all, in fact we liked quite a bit. I think we are getting older and have migrated before from the UK to NZ, so we are just nervous as we know how difficult the process can be, settling into a new area and feeling like you fit it - if that makes sense.

We want to do it and where theres a will theres a way!

Debbie
Old Aug 31st 2008, 2:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spellbound
Hi Sparticus

Yes, ambivalent is a very good word! Its not that I disliked Brisbane at all, in fact we liked quite a bit. I think we are getting older and have migrated before from the UK to NZ, so we are just nervous as we know how difficult the process can be, settling into a new area and feeling like you fit it - if that makes sense.

We want to do it and where theres a will theres a way!

Debbie
Know what you mean Debbie. Although ambivalent but realistic is not such a bad position to be in. Best of luck with the move.

Andy
Old Aug 31st 2008, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

At the risk of being really naive just what are the advantages of being permanent as opposed to casual?

It seems that with notice the employer can still let you go if they don't have the work (called redundancy isn't it?) If you're useless they may have a few more hoops to jump through but they can still sack you. So there is no more stability really.

The 4 weeks holiday and 2 weeks sick allowed you usually doesn't come near the extra loading casuals get in lieu and as a casual you can choose to take more than that if you want.

Am I missing something here?

Also the OP seems to be merging contractor and casual into one and it's my understanding they are different, at least in the uk and I thought here too. A contractor is independant in work choices, tax payments, VAT (GST) and such things as outlined in the OP - a casual pays tax PAYE style but just has a loading instead of holiday and sick pay. Often but not always because they aren't in place long enough to take annual leave.

Last edited by Safin; Aug 31st 2008 at 6:17 pm.