Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

cash or travellers cheques?

cash or travellers cheques?

Old Sep 22nd 2011, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

Lois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really nice
Default cash or travellers cheques?

hi we are coming to Perth (port kennedy) in 2 weeks, wondering whether to bring all cash, or if we get travellers cheques, how easy it to cash them? Also anyone know if they charge a fee for cashing them??

Thanks in advance guys
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 7:27 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: cash or travellers cheques?

Originally Posted by Lois1
hi we are coming to Perth (port kennedy) in 2 weeks, wondering whether to bring all cash, or if we get travellers cheques, how easy it to cash them? Also anyone know if they charge a fee for cashing them??

Thanks in advance guys
Neither, just use your ATM card.
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

Lois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by renth
Neither, just use your ATM card.
did think of that, but the UK bank charges really high fees and poor exchange rates. Well, our bank does anyway!
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 7:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

did think of that, but the UK bank charges really high fees and poor exchange rates. Well, our bank does anyway!

Fees and poor exchange rates are par for the course. Have you really done a study to compare the different options, I'd be surprised if there we're that much in it. Save yourself some hassle and stick with ATM and visa. I found last year that the exchange rate my visa company applied was perfectly acceptable.
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 7:59 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance guys
A pre-paid card is also an option, I used one for the last trip to the UK. What you don't use can be refunded.

http://www.cashpassport.com/
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

Little Lisa 1971 will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: cash or travellers cheques?

Thanks in advance guys
Hi Lois,

Wow I can't believe your holiday has come around so fast! How are you all doing? Still two and half months till we validate, it's my 40th Birthday next week and my holiday diet starts straight after that!

I think we're going to take cash and a pre-paid card, you can buy them at most Travel Agents.

PM me when you get back with an update on your holiday, I hope you have a fabulous time.

Take care

Little Lisa xxx
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 1:47 am
Forum Regular

Icecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud of

Thanks in advance guys
Cash....always a risk if you carry a lot of this. You also need a bank or forex office to change and the rates may not be so flash.

Travellers cheques you need to find some where to cash them and that may be hard.

ATM, pre paid cash card or Credit card is the (least bad) way to go.
Old Sep 26th 2011, 1:10 am
New To Perth!

ScotsSal is an unknown quantity at this point

I used the cash passport when I moved here to avoid using my ATM or carrying loads of cash around with me. As I had lower than the $10k customs level, it didn't make sense for me to use an international transfer service - got a great exchange rate from Travelex, so just got the cash passport card from them.
Old Sep 26th 2011, 4:29 am

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance guys
Four or five years ago ( ) I used checks, and found that exchange rate was marginally better than for the cash. I have been with Amex forever, and bought them commission- free, so overall not a bad deal at all.