Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

In Case of Emergency....

In Case of Emergency....

Old Jul 17th 2008, 10:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

camacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nice
Default Re: In Case of Emergency....

Originally Posted by herrchook
Def top of our list of to dos now.
sorry this is a bit confusing for me.
i was told by someone that if we died and children survive and we don't have a will that states that we want our family in uk to take care of our children they will be put into care in oz! is this right? (hope that makes sense)
also do you make this will in uk, oz or both?
Old Jul 18th 2008, 2:15 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by camacazi
sorry this is a bit confusing for me.
i was told by someone that if we died and children survive and we don't have a will that states that we want our family in uk to take care of our children they will be put into care in oz! is this right? (hope that makes sense)
First decide what you would like to happen to your children in this circumstance. Then go to see a good family law practitioner in your state/territory of residence and discuss what the possibilities are and what options you have.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 2:42 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I've been using ICE for a few years now, but I brought this up a couple of times on my forum and a lot of people were totally unaware of the convention. Hopefully it will become well-known. (Oh and learn from one who's a bit slow - if you get your ice for parties from a little man with a van, might be wise to put his name rather than just "Ice".)

I also have a contact "Husband" on my phone - did this after having a bad fall, being unable to use my phone (smashed up my wrist) and being in a lot of pain/shock, not really making sense to the lovely people trying to help me. A "Doctor" entry is also useful.

When we were in Asia my husband travelled a lot, so I also had a network of girls I could rely on. A lot of them are single or in a similar situation so, after one ended up all alone and scared in hospital in the middle of the night, we made plans to be each other's contacts. Also for those contacts to have details of family back in the home country, and vice versa. (I started this with one friend when she went backpacking - if I or her Mum didn't hear from her every couple of days, we would contact the other. What we'd do then, thankfully we didn't have to consider. )

Sounds unimportant in the great scheme of things, I know, but the Tsunami proved otherwise - make provision for your pets in case you both/all perish. Find somebody willing to take short-term responsibility for them and able to make long-term arrangements. That reminds me, my "person" is in Singapore, which is not much use to me now. One more thing for the list.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 8:36 am
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Originally Posted by camacazi
I think it is advisable to make a will for each country that you have interests in. Each country will have it's own rules & laws etc. UK has inheritance tax and OZ doesn't not sure about death duties.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

camacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nice

Originally Posted by ray2gill
I think it is advisable to make a will for each country that you have interests in. Each country will have it's own rules & laws etc. UK has inheritance tax and OZ doesn't not sure about death duties.
thanks for your replies
Old Jul 19th 2008, 12:48 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Never heard of ICE. Never really thought about all the rest either. Must get those boxes sorted and tell hubby where everything is.

Ginny
Old Jul 19th 2008, 4:00 am
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Not wishing to be doom & gloom but one other thought.

Most mortgages are in joint names now therefore both are covered by mortgage protection. If you are not then something to consider:

My brother had the mortgage protection in his name so that if he died it would be paid off. He never considered that something may happen to my sister-in-law.

My sister-in-law (his wife) was killed in a car accident leaving my brother to bring up two small children 4 & 6. This left him with the mortgage still to pay, childcare fees and numerous other things to fund on one income as he became a single parent.

So when looking at finances don't scrimp on insurance cover, may not happen but at least you are covered if it does.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 11:16 am
BE Enthusiast

charlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud of

Great thread OP. I had not even considered emergencies until I read comments.
Thankyou