Cars in Oz?

Old Apr 21st 2004, 2:04 am
Forum Regular

The Hun is on a distinguished road
Question Cars in Oz?

What's the script with the cars in Oz? Are there any decent ones or what? I've had a look at a few cars on autotrader and they all seem to be weird cars I've never heard of. No VW's or stuff like that. What's the general census of opinion on the type of vehicles that are the best to have, maybe a 4x4? Help..........
Old Apr 21st 2004, 2:09 am
Forum Regular

trehere is on a distinguished road

Hi, there are laods of different cars here but also basically the same as the UK!!
I am driving a new Ford Fiesta which they have just started selling here - there are also the usual VW Golfs / Polos, Vauxhall Corsas etc - all Vauxhalls are Holdens though and some just have different names, Corsa is a Berina for example.
Basically, in Melbourne anyway, loads of people drive 4x4's, Holden Utes are popular and Subarus. Big engines are essential - my 1.6 Fiesta just doesn't do it although fuel consumption is fantastic!
Old Apr 21st 2004, 2:28 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

There are veedubs etc, but they just arn't as common as in the uk. The euro cars don't hog the market, obviously! The more common cars here are Nissan, toyota, mitsubishi, suburu etc (cos they're made closer i guess.)
The other thing to note in the case of ford there are some eurpean models overhere, but they are not common, the Aussies tend to go for much bigger models such as falcons for example.
Its just a case of getting used to it all........
Old Apr 21st 2004, 2:45 am
BE Enthusiast

wombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to all

dont buy a hyundai - they are sh*t.

if u get a 2nd hander - go on revs site. put in chassis no and rego and u can find out whether cars been in a major accident . I just missed out on buying a repariable rightoff this way
Old Apr 21st 2004, 3:34 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by wombatboy

if u get a 2nd hander - go on revs site. put in chassis no and rego and u can find out whether cars been in a major accident . I just missed out on buying a repariable rightoff this way
So far my Hyundai Accent has gone OK but I am not a petrol head. It doesn't shift but neither does the traffic down the Parra road. Did you have a bad experience? What do you drive?
Old Apr 21st 2004, 3:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by wombatboy

What's revs site please?
Old Apr 21st 2004, 3:45 am

http://www.revs.nsw.gov.au/

As wombat boy says essential when buying a second hand car in NSW. Shows up stolen cars and those with outstanding finance.
Old Apr 21st 2004, 3:49 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Anyone got any views on:[list=1][*]Subaru Forester[*]Honda CR-V[*]Toyota RAV4[/list=1]

Looking at buying 2nd hand. Must be 4 dr manual with low clicks for ~20k
Old Apr 21st 2004, 4:11 am
Badge

RAV4's a bit girly.

BM

Get a ute, man.

Mine has been worth its weight in gold.

Old Apr 21st 2004, 4:21 am

Originally posted by badgersmount
RAV4's a bit girly.
Yeah, they are all a bit like that. The other comment is that they are all family man cars.
I'm thinking to when the family come and visit.

Originally posted by badgersmount
Get a ute, man.
Yep I'm sure I can see the in laws hanging on in the back as we speed down a dirt track. Won't do that relationship any good at all.
I could stick some makeshift benches in the back and then we could fit the entire clan in!
Old Apr 21st 2004, 4:21 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by JulesandChris
Anyone got any views on:[list=1][*]Subaru Forester[*]Honda CR-V[*]Toyota RAV4[/list=1]

Looking at buying 2nd hand. Must be 4 dr manual with low clicks for ~20k
Had a lift in friends CRV the otherday and its not a patch on our X trail inside It felt thin and plasticy in comparison. You wouldn't pick one up for $20k though
Old Apr 21st 2004, 4:26 am

Originally posted by hevs
Had a lift in friends CRV the otherday and its not a patch on our X trail inside It felt thin and plasticy in comparison. You wouldn't pick one up for $20k though

Ok so any alternatives to carry 4 adults in comfort, not too big, not too small. Good to drive like the scubie, yet not over $25k. Something that can taken off road, but not bothered full on 4wd. And not a ute. Although I like the idea, Jules would never buy it.
Old Apr 21st 2004, 4:28 am

Some colleagues were talking about the Suburu Outback but I don't think they come cheap. The bloke was a surfer who goes down remote rough roads. He also said it drove well on normal roads.
Old Apr 21st 2004, 4:29 am
High in the Dandenongs

I'm petty sure you'd be able to get a CRV for that money cos they are older than the Xtrail. They look pretty much the same on the outside.
Happy hunting
Old Apr 21st 2004, 5:05 am
Forum Regular

Is a 4x4 worth thinking about?

I'm just thinking about when you get out of the cities, what are the roads like?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.