Cars in OZ

Old Jan 12th 2004, 5:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cars in OZ

Hi all,

I am about to buy a new Mazda in the UK and I hoped that in 1 or 2 years I could take it with me to Oz as I would think Japanese cars are all over Oz.

Is that so........would parts be more or less straight forward to get as opposed to a european car ?

thanks
Old Jan 12th 2004, 7:56 pm
Semper Vigilante

ButtonMoon is an unknown quantity at this point

I bought a Toyota camry here and yes their is plenty of acess to spare parts.Mazda are a big seller here.The other top two makes are fords and holdens ( vauxhalls) although the models are different to the UK.
Old Jan 12th 2004, 8:00 pm
Monaco here we!!! oh no

ADELAIDE BOUND is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cars in OZ

Originally posted by Olibeneli
Hi all,

I am about to buy a new Mazda in the UK and I hoped that in 1 or 2 years I could take it with me to Oz as I would think Japanese cars are all over Oz.

Is that so........would parts be more or less straight forward to get as opposed to a european car ?

thanks
You may want to look at the import taxes you may need to pay on the car as well as the import costs of getting the car to oz before making a final decision.

Cheers.
Old Jan 12th 2004, 8:04 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

thanks
For a standard car it is hardly worth it. I would buy a nearly new car so you do not lose the initial drive off car yard depreciation and sell it privately before you emigrate. Either that or keep your existing car.

Toyota is the most common Japanese car and they are now Australia's biggest seller.
Old Jan 13th 2004, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bondipom
For a standard car it is hardly worth it. I would buy a nearly new car so you do not lose the initial drive off car yard depreciation and sell it privately before you emigrate. Either that or keep your existing car.

Toyota is the most common Japanese car and they are now Australia's biggest seller.
Hi

I don't want to keep my existing car as I am bored with it after 3 years (bought 2nd hand).....and being a Peugeot will probably start going wrong........already the rear lights will not turn off !

I am going for a new mazda RX8 which is my last gasp at having a nice sports car.........and can still fit the kids in.

they seem to be well sought after here and due to import quotas they should not be that common to get hold of in a year or two.

Any idea how I find out about importing a car to Oz and associated costs ?.......

thanks for advice
Old Jan 13th 2004, 10:23 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

try this site http://www.dotars.gov.au/transreg/str_imp-cert.htm
Old Jan 13th 2004, 10:42 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

bear in mind you also need to do things like convert the speedo to k's......(has to be ks only, not ks and mph).

Also insurance can be more on imports.

I would say do as bondi says. Leave it there and buy again when you get here.
Old Jan 13th 2004, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by PeteY
bear in mind you also need to do things like convert the speedo to k's......(has to be ks only, not ks and mph).

Also insurance can be more on imports.

I would say do as bondi says. Leave it there and buy again when you get here.
Cripes.......I believe you, but that is unbelievable.

Almost all cars I have ever been in (and my new car) have dual speedos so I can see MPH or KMH..............and Oz won't accept that ?

are they backward or what ?

Few weeks ago on the life down under prog a bloke imported his vintage jaguar...........bet that didn't have kmh ?
Old Jan 13th 2004, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

Cripes.......I believe you, but that is unbelievable.

Almost all cars I have ever been in (and my new car) have dual speedos so I can see MPH or KMH..............and Oz won't accept that ?

are they backward or what ?

Few weeks ago on the life down under prog a bloke imported his vintage jaguar...........bet that didn't have kmh ?
There are quite a few minor-but-irritating things they can charge you for before giving you the OK to have your car ... external mirrors must be flat glass, child-seat points need to comply etc. Older cars do have some immunity IIRC.