cars to Oz

Old Mar 8th 2003, 10:14 am
Just Joined

jimozbound is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool cars to Oz

Do people take their cars with them? Or is it better financially to sell it and buy when you get there?

:beer
Old Mar 8th 2003, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

Davenshell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: cars to Oz

Originally posted by jimozbound
Do people take their cars with them? Or is it better financially to sell it and buy when you get there?

If all goes well I will be taking our Ford Falcon XR6 its an australian car so complies with all the criteria they require when it arrives.A company called Karman shipping Ltd have a very good website were you can gauge costs and taxes etc.
David

:beer
Old Mar 8th 2003, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

andie is an unknown quantity at this point

weve looked into it, and decided to sell and buy over there, its just more hassle. i supose it depends what car youve got, they need air con over there and mine hasnt got it anyway. my mate took 2 motorbikes and wished he hadnt, what with the taxes etc, it cost more than what they were worth.
Old Mar 8th 2003, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

anzen12 is an unknown quantity at this point

I always regret selling my MGB before coming over (I sold it for 700 pounds in 1983 - a similar model here can cost $8 - 10,000).

If you post the make and model of your car and what it is worth in the UK, I am sure someone living in Australia on this board will let you know what the cost is here. It may help you decide.

The point about air conditioning is also true. Very handy here.
Old Mar 8th 2003, 8:00 pm
Just Joined

ianwood is an unknown quantity at this point

I was told 2 years ago by Pickfords it costs £2800 to take a car in unless its in pieces.

Ian
Old Mar 9th 2003, 6:16 am
Forum Regular

pommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant future

Originally posted by ianwood
I was told 2 years ago by Pickfords it costs £2800 to take a car in unless its in pieces.

Ian
My husband shipped his vintage Daimler over here for around £1,800 (much against my wishes `cos he`s not driven the thing for around 3 years) but I suppose it depends how attached you are to it...
Old Mar 11th 2003, 12:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold
Default What about Duty / Taxes

When I looked at bringing my car from NZ to Oz, the shipping costs were trivial compared to the import duty I would have had to pay.

The import duty I seem to remember was 40% the origional value of the car, decreaseing slightly for each year that you have owned it.

They wanted $6,00 for a car I sold for NZ$10,500 in Auckland before I left. I did my research through the AA in NZ, and confirmed it with the application documents to import the car, needless to say I didn't bother.