Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cars and motorbikes... tinkering.

Cars and motorbikes... tinkering.

Old Nov 7th 2009, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

rowland75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cars and motorbikes... tinkering.

Im really into my cars and bikes in the UK, and obviously have a readily available supply of parts etc at reasonable costs through the internet.

Fingers crossed we should be in Oz next year and once settled I plan to carry on tinkering....

Doing some research cars and bikes seem really expensive and obviously parts off the 'net would be all over Oz so less available, and due to importing probably more expensive again.

Are any guys on here already in Oz and contuing a petrol head lifestyle....and how do you find it?
Old Nov 7th 2009, 10:15 pm
Lancs to central coast

simnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Re: Cars and motorbikes... tinkering.

I've bought & sold a lot of bike bits thru eBay no problem, also some
4x4 parts from US at good prices. Bought some straight forks for my gsxr1000 for $500 & sold my bent ones for $600 so bargains about.
Cars & bikes are more expensive than uk but hold their money better & you can get V8 conversion kits for lots of things
Old Nov 8th 2009, 12:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cars and motorbikes... tinkering.

Are Suzukis (bandit) the same as the UK for spares?
Old Nov 8th 2009, 4:54 pm
Lancs to central coast

simnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Are Suzukis (bandit) the same as the UK for spares?
Only seen the 1250 over here no 1200s, they look identical apart from extra reflectors.
Old Nov 8th 2009, 5:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simnmax
Only seen the 1250 over here no 1200s, they look identical apart from extra reflectors.
Cheers. I assume filters, brake pads and plugs etc...will be the same or easy to get if they're standard.

Thanks.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 8:20 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rowland75
Im really into my cars and bikes in the UK, and obviously have a readily available supply of parts etc at reasonable costs through the internet.

Fingers crossed we should be in Oz next year and once settled I plan to carry on tinkering....

Doing some research cars and bikes seem really expensive and obviously parts off the 'net would be all over Oz so less available, and due to importing probably more expensive again.

Are any guys on here already in Oz and contuing a petrol head lifestyle....and how do you find it?
Cars & bikes are dearer to buy (as are the parts) but resale value is higher as well, so it all balances out.

I buy all my bike spares online if I'm not in a hurry, and the US is by far the cheapest. I tend to watch the exchange and buy when its good.

Dont really know too much about car spares, but there are spare shops everywhere super cheap auto, autobarn etc etc) online hundreds more, and the Aussies are mad petrol heads. If you like v8's you'll be in heaven.

btw my stable includes :
3 cars, 1 road bike, 1 cross bike & 2 more dirt bikes for the kids. I used to only have 2 cars & 1 road bike, so I think i've improved

Last edited by furkew; Nov 9th 2009 at 8:25 am.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 10:26 am
Account Closed

Catch is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by furkew
Cars & bikes are dearer to buy (as are the parts) but resale value is higher as well, so it all balances out.

I buy all my bike spares online if I'm not in a hurry, and the US is by far the cheapest. I tend to watch the exchange and buy when its good.

Dont really know too much about car spares, but there are spare shops everywhere super cheap auto, autobarn etc etc) online hundreds more, and the Aussies are mad petrol heads. If you like v8's you'll be in heaven.

btw my stable includes :
3 cars, 1 road bike, 1 cross bike & 2 more dirt bikes for the kids. I used to only have 2 cars & 1 road bike, so I think i've improved
what site do you use in the US,could do with a front pipe for a yz
Old Nov 9th 2009, 10:34 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Catch
what site do you use in the US,could do with a front pipe for a yz
i've just bought a WR with a few Yz mods & spares. I can see if there is a front pipe that fits the YZ if you want.

Last edited by furkew; Nov 9th 2009 at 10:36 am.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rowland75
Yes! And most of what you need should be available from eBay. And there are loads and loads of car clubs in Oz. May I ask what you drive and if you intend to bring it with you?
Old Nov 9th 2009, 11:08 am
Account Closed

Catch is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by furkew
i've just bought a WR with a few Yz mods & spares. I can see if there is a front pipe that fits the YZ if you want.
could use a standard yz 250 black front pipe 08 model,put a dent in it on saturday when i had an off.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Catch
could use a standard yz 250 black front pipe 08 model,put a dent in it on saturday when i had an off.
There are all sorts of bits & bobs in here:

http://cars.shop.ebay.com.au/Motorcy...=p3286.c0.m282