Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cars - Buy new or secondhand?

Cars - Buy new or secondhand?

Old May 27th 2007, 6:53 am
Big Skies and Wide Eyes!

The_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud of
Question Cars - Buy new or secondhand?

Hi all,

Just starting thinking about this really, in Aus, is it better to buy a brand new car or a 1 year or older secondhand car? I have never bought new here in the UK because as soon as it's off the forecourt it's depreciated by about £3000

I have heard cars don't rust like they do here in UK & therefore last longer, so do they keep their value better than UK? Do they not depreciated as soon as they are off the forecourt like here?

So what's best new or secondhand?

Chris

Old May 27th 2007, 7:32 am
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Cars - Buy new or secondhand?

Originally Posted by The_Effys
Hi all,

Just starting thinking about this really, in Aus, is it better to buy a brand new car or a 1 year or older secondhand car? I have never bought new here in the UK because as soon as it's off the forecourt it's depreciated by about £3000

I have heard cars don't rust like they do here in UK & therefore last longer, so do they keep their value better than UK? Do they not depreciated as soon as they are off the forecourt like here?

So what's best new or secondhand?

Chris

It depends on the deal. We bought a 2006 model terriotory that we got at a good price. (ford give money to dealerships to get last years stock off the forecourt) If you tell the dealership you are looking for 2 cars they might try hard to get your custom - you don't need to buy the second car from them! Do shop around and call around.

When we looked at new v's old we couldn't see a huge difference once you started to haggle. The salesman told us that sometimes the used car salesman bank on people assuming they get more for there money used. There are a number of factors. All cars depreciate but I don't think its to the same extent as the UK.

Do make sure that you get quotes for the drive away price. There can be lots of little extras and you do pay a stamp duty on second hand cars (registration on new cars). Also note that prices in news papers aren't drive away uless stated.

We will probably get another car soon. The falcon LPG. We have worked out that it costs twice as much to run the Territory. Territory will be the family car (has 7 seats for when we have guests) and the LPG the car to drive to and from Perth (120km round trip from Secret Harbour)

Not sure if this helps but just where we were with it.
Old May 27th 2007, 8:10 am
Big Skies and Wide Eyes!

The_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud of
Default Re: Cars - Buy new or secondhand?

Originally Posted by PoppetUK
It depends on the deal. We bought a 2006 model terriotory that we got at a good price. (ford give money to dealerships to get last years stock off the forecourt) If you tell the dealership you are looking for 2 cars they might try hard to get your custom - you don't need to buy the second car from them! Do shop around and call around.

Originally Posted by PoppetUK
When we looked at new v's old we couldn't see a huge difference once you started to haggle. The salesman told us that sometimes the used car salesman bank on people assuming they get more for there money used. There are a number of factors. All cars depreciate but I don't think its to the same extent as the UK.

Do make sure that you get quotes for the drive away price. There can be lots of little extras and you do pay a stamp duty on second hand cars (registration on new cars). Also note that prices in news papers aren't drive away uless stated.

We will probably get another car soon. The falcon LPG. We have worked out that it costs twice as much to run the Territory. Territory will be the family car (has 7 seats for when we have guests) and the LPG the car to drive to and from Perth (120km round trip from Secret Harbour)

Not sure if this helps but just where we were with it.
Thanks Poppet, yeah course it helps, every little bit helps

I suppose it's like all things... there are hidden costs that only come to light when they are mentioned!

Chris