Cars

Old Jul 10th 2005, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

Glenn210277 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cars

i have been doing research on car insurance and i know you have to have 3rd party before you can drive.if i come over from England do i need a new license and do i have to do a test.And been told not to buy a new car unless your loaded especailly if it is a european model.
Old Jul 10th 2005, 10:38 am
A New Day at Mid-Night...

pandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: Cars

Originally Posted by Glenn210277
i have been doing research on car insurance and i know you have to have 3rd party before you can drive.if i come over from England do i need a new license and do i have to do a test.And been told not to buy a new car unless your loaded especailly if it is a european model.
To ans you second question ans is NO, Unless you are from India . Did you search previous checks on threads. There are loads of ans to your question.
Old Jul 10th 2005, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

Glenn210277 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cars

Originally Posted by pandya_m
To ans you second question ans is NO, Unless you are from India . Did you search previous checks on threads. There are loads of ans to your question.
no didn't check as new to system and there are loads of threads and some aren't helpful and seems to be arguements about stuff all i'm to do is see if i would be making the right decision.i curse my partner buying that book gave my more ?s than answers.
Old Jul 10th 2005, 10:47 am
A New Day at Mid-Night...

pandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nice

no didn't check as new to system and there are loads of threads and some aren't helpful and seems to be arguements about stuff all i'm to do is see if i would be making the right decision.i curse my partner buying that book gave my more ?s than answers.
try the search on the thread with your term "licence" "driving" "car purchase" etc. Surely you will get loads of experience advice.
Good Luck.
Old Jul 10th 2005, 11:24 am
ABCDiamond

i have been doing research on car insurance and i know you have to have 3rd party before you can drive.if i come over from England do i need a new license and do i have to do a test.
It depends what State you are going to, you may need to do a Theory Test, or you may not.

Look at this link

Old Jul 10th 2005, 11:51 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, If your comming to NSW and you have a full UK licence then you can drive as soon as you get here. You will need to take your theory test withing 3 months which you do at any RTA office. Its easy, they give you a booklet to read and so long as you read it once over you should get them all right, We found it well easy. Its multiple choice and the correct answer is usually not 'honk your horn' and the most wordy answer is usually the correct one. But as I say easy. As for buying a new car its a myth about it being expensive, new cars either American, Australia or Japaneese are probably on average cheaper than UK. European are more expensive though so If you want a Merc or Audi forget it unless you bring your own.

To buy a new car in NSW the 1st time you need an RTA number before the showroom will let you take it away. 3rd party insurance is automatically provided by the 'Green slip' which once again you cant drive the car without. The dealer will sort all this out for you except your trip to the RTA office to get your unique customer RTA number. Hope this helps.
Old Jul 11th 2005, 12:04 am
ABCDiamond

If you are going to either NSW, ACT, WA or VIC, as a PR, you do NOT need to take a Theory test, if you hold an acceptable car licence from the UK or one of the other recognised countries.

NSW & ACT - http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/...l_drivers.html

WA - http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/m.../overseas.html

VIC - http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/

All other States do require you to take a Theory test within three months.

Old Jul 11th 2005, 12:58 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
If you are going to either NSW, ACT, WA or VIC, as a PR, you do NOT need to take a Theory test, if you hold an acceptable car licence from the UK or one of the other recognised countries.

NSW & ACT - http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/...l_drivers.html

WA - http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/m.../overseas.html

VIC - http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/

All other States do require you to take a Theory test within three months.
Oh! Blinking hell, your right about the theory test. We landed in november and less than 2 months later and after we were made to do the theory test they changed the regulations and have added this in:-

As from 17 January 2005 customers are exempt the car driver knowledge test if they hold an acceptable car licence from one of the recognised countries. It is recommended that these applicants read the Road Users' Handbook to familiarise themselves with the current road rules in NSW.

Sorry for the wrong info, it was correct 7 months ago.
Old Jul 11th 2005, 1:09 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

This is for Victoria, but I assume it's the same elsewhere. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Compulsory Third Party Person (CTP - I'll explain in a moment) is included as part of your rego (like UK tax disk), and this is all you need to be legal to drive. This means that you don't personally need to have insurance to drive a car that has up-to-date rego.

CTP only insures against damage to people; so if you run into another car and the driver is injured, the driver's injury is covered but not the damage to the car. You can be sued for the damage to the car which is why you should probably get 3rd party or comprehensive insurance.

The upshot of all that is that you'll find the rego is more expensive than the UK tax disk but the insurance is cheaper in Aus.

Regards
Alistair