British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   carpentry work before christmas... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/carpentry-work-before-christmas-758549/)

shackybracky May 17th 2012 8:10 am

carpentry work before christmas...

Hi all. We're trying to work out when to book flights for. Ideally we want to arrive in Perth mid November and start work a couple of weeks later. Do building sites close for 2 weeks at christmas like in the uk? Is there much building work being done? Is december a bad time to be looking for building work right before christmas or am I likely to find work ok? Any advice would be great.

Cheers

Kev

Buzzy--Bee May 17th 2012 8:38 am

Re: carpentry work before christmas...

The buidling trade almost completely closes from December 20th or so until January 27th (after Australia day).

It's the main summer holidays.

BB

shackybracky May 17th 2012 9:39 am

Oh really? Surely the tradesmen don't have 6 weeks off though?

ukecadet May 17th 2012 9:57 am

Originally Posted by shackybracky (Post 10066206)

more like 8 by the time the powers that be get their arse into gear.Nature of the beast.

Buzzy--Bee May 17th 2012 10:01 am

Originally Posted by shackybracky (Post 10066206)

Yep. The only tradies working through that time are the ones on penalty payments.

BB

ukecadet May 17th 2012 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee (Post 10066259)
Yep. The only tradies working through that time are the ones on penalty payments.

BB

i I only had about5 days off over christmas. Luckily I had loads of private jobs.It can be a problem if you are subcontract to major builders which I have been in the past and then it doesn't start picking up till mid Feb or so.

shackybracky May 17th 2012 10:27 am

What advice would you give to an english carpenter looking for work in oz? I currently subcontract to a large builder in the uk but on an hourly rate so not done loads of price work.

ukecadet May 17th 2012 10:51 am

Originally Posted by shackybracky (Post 10066313)
What advice would you give to an english carpenter looking for work in oz? I currently subcontract to a large builder in the uk but on an hourly rate so not done loads of price work.

As your're heading for Perth I can't help you.Best of luck :thumbup:

shackybracky May 17th 2012 10:55 am

Ok thanks for your help.