Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

carpentry work before christmas...

carpentry work before christmas...

Old May 17th 2012, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

shackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to all
Default carpentry work before christmas...

Hi all. We're trying to work out when to book flights for. Ideally we want to arrive in Perth mid November and start work a couple of weeks later. Do building sites close for 2 weeks at christmas like in the uk? Is there much building work being done? Is december a bad time to be looking for building work right before christmas or am I likely to find work ok? Any advice would be great.

Cheers

Kev
Old May 17th 2012, 8:38 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: carpentry work before christmas...

The buidling trade almost completely closes from December 20th or so until January 27th (after Australia day).

It's the main summer holidays.

BB
Old May 17th 2012, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

shackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to all

Oh really? Surely the tradesmen don't have 6 weeks off though?
Old May 17th 2012, 9:57 am

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shackybracky
more like 8 by the time the powers that be get their arse into gear.Nature of the beast.
Old May 17th 2012, 10:01 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Yep. The only tradies working through that time are the ones on penalty payments.

BB
Old May 17th 2012, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Yep. The only tradies working through that time are the ones on penalty payments.

BB
i I only had about5 days off over christmas. Luckily I had loads of private jobs.It can be a problem if you are subcontract to major builders which I have been in the past and then it doesn't start picking up till mid Feb or so.
Old May 17th 2012, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

What advice would you give to an english carpenter looking for work in oz? I currently subcontract to a large builder in the uk but on an hourly rate so not done loads of price work.
Old May 17th 2012, 10:51 am

What advice would you give to an english carpenter looking for work in oz? I currently subcontract to a large builder in the uk but on an hourly rate so not done loads of price work.
As your're heading for Perth I can't help you.Best of luck
Old May 17th 2012, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

Ok thanks for your help.