Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Carpentry jobs in Brisbane?

Carpentry jobs in Brisbane?

Old Jan 12th 2009, 8:34 pm
Account Closed

LeeLee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Carpentry jobs in Brisbane?

Hi all, i'm looking to make the big move fairly soon but am a bit worried bout the lack of jobs i've searched in the Brisbane and surrounding areas.

Is there anyone who has any idea what the situation in the construction is like out there?

Or does anyone know of any good ways of nailing a job from the UK?...excuse the pun.

Any info would be great.

Cheers

Lee
Old Jan 12th 2009, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

Amy and Barry is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Carpentry jobs in Brisbane?

Hi lee sorry cant help but i would like to keep an eye on this and see what advice is being giving
Old Jan 12th 2009, 9:33 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Amy and Barry
Hi lee sorry cant help but i would like to keep an eye on this and see what advice is being giving
Bit of a pickle aint it!

C'mon chippies...don't be shy!
Old Jan 12th 2009, 9:35 pm
Its all going south......

betsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of light

Hi, we have been on the sunshine coast for 5months, have been searching for jobs here down to brisbane and very little has come up it that time - OH is a plumber though, don't know about carpenters. I do know however that work is slowing down here, a friend of ours has been here for 2yr, he's a builder, never had a problem until b4 christmas when he was laid off. Also a sparky whos work is slowing down.
The jobs that we have applied for we haven't even had a lookin, i'm afraid that with some jobs they won't be interested as soon as they hear that you are English...well, that's what it seems, i know others that have come across the same.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 9:47 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by betsyboob
Hi, we have been on the sunshine coast for 5months, have been searching for jobs here down to brisbane and very little has come up it that time - OH is a plumber though, don't know about carpenters. I do know however that work is slowing down here, a friend of ours has been here for 2yr, he's a builder, never had a problem until b4 christmas when he was laid off. Also a sparky whos work is slowing down.
The jobs that we have applied for we haven't even had a lookin, i'm afraid that with some jobs they won't be interested as soon as they hear that you are English...well, that's what it seems, i know others that have come across the same.
This doesn't sound good at all!

Work is really bad in the UK at the mo and was hoping for something when i got to Brissy.

Any reason why you think being English matters?

I had a funny feeling this might have been the case.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 10:35 pm
Just Joined

chippy2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Carpentry jobs in Brisbane?

hello lee lee i am a carpenter and hav been here 4months now the job situation is quiet ive phoned loads sent loads of resumes out and is still waiting to hear from any,its just a matter of dropping lucky,at least its sunny here.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 12:14 am
Its all going south......

betsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by LeeLee
This doesn't sound good at all!

Work is really bad in the UK at the mo and was hoping for something when i got to Brissy.

Any reason why you think being English matters?

I had a funny feeling this might have been the case.
It seems that most employers want local experience, which is really hard because you need to get in with someone to get that and noone will give you a chance.
At the mo OH is working for a guy who we got his no. from the guy that sold us our car, it is not what you know...... so get out and meet as many people as possible. He only has 1 -3 days a wk and had to offer himself as cheap labour basically just to get in, so he working for half of what he should be earning, but the long term plan is that once he has that experience and a Oz ref he may be luckier in the job market. It is either do this or have no work at all, it is really tough
Old Jan 13th 2009, 9:30 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by chippy2
hello lee lee i am a carpenter and hav been here 4months now the job situation is quiet ive phoned loads sent loads of resumes out and is still waiting to hear from any,its just a matter of dropping lucky,at least its sunny here.

That is the plus side i guess. The only thing i'm worried about is running out of dough and having to go home. I wouldn't mind labouring just to get my foot in the door but can't really afford to not work for 4 months, did that last time on my working holiday visa and it cost me a fortune Where abouts in Brisbane are you situated?
Old Jan 13th 2009, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all, i'm looking to make the big move fairly soon but am a bit worried bout the lack of jobs i've searched in the Brisbane and surrounding areas.

Is there anyone who has any idea what the situation in the construction is like out there?

Or does anyone know of any good ways of nailing a job from the UK?...excuse the pun.

Any info would be great.

Cheers

Lee
32 on Seek.com.au...

http://www.seek.com.au/jobsearch/ind...archfrom=quick
Old Jan 13th 2009, 9:42 am
Just Joined

setteled in redcliffe nice place,could be the time of year coming just before xmas but hav applied for loads just havnt heard back but there is a few threads on here from chippys and eveyones in the same boat,from wot some hav said its not wot you know its who?thinking about trying a labouring job till it picks up but dont really want to.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 9:47 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Louiseh86
Fair play... i thought it might start picking up a little more after new years. Like it does over here...normally quiet here till late feb/march time. Let's see how it is in late April when i go.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 9:50 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by chippy2
setteled in redcliffe nice place,could be the time of year coming just before xmas but hav applied for loads just havnt heard back but there is a few threads on here from chippys and eveyones in the same boat,from wot some hav said its not wot you know its who?thinking about trying a labouring job till it picks up but dont really want to.
know the feeling, seems a shame to have to do something most people can do just to be able to maybe show your skill one day.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 9:51 am
Just Joined

Lightbulb Re: Carpentry jobs in Brisbane?

regarding job sites tried most of them,hays is one of the main agencys here for chippys have registered with them you will see they are advertiseing for carpenters all over but none of there jobs have started yet?
Old Jan 14th 2009, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

stu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to all

Any info would be great.

Cheers

Lee
gday lee

iam a carpenter from the uk been in oz 3 years now plenty of work in the commercial side especially formwork do you have much experience in this line of work?
stu
Old Jan 14th 2009, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

aussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud of

Hi There

My OH a chippy and works on the sunny coast, not had a real problem with work although did go quiet and all others laid off apart from OH and an ozzie. If your good at what you do you'll keep a job and get more offers than you can poke a stick at. Sometimes it also pays to show them what you can do.

Try ORB 07 54500377 working a large site in NOOSA about 2yrs work doing framing to fixout, paying $35 plus an hour dependant on experience and licensing, however very particular on what they want to see work wise and take no prisoners (your crap your gone). All nationalities on site Aussie, Kiwi, Brit, Scot and even poles.

Good Luck and let us know how you get on

Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.