Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Carpentry jobs in Brisbane

Carpentry jobs in Brisbane

Old Jun 29th 2004, 2:03 pm
Forum Regular

sunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant future
Question Carpentry jobs in Brisbane

Hello, my name is julie.

My partner is a carpenter and was wondering if there was any call for his type of work in queensland (mainly brisbane and surrounding areas)
Could you also tell me if the going rate is the same all over Australia as on a careers website it quoted 700Aus dollars a week as average.

Also can anyone tell me if there are any plans for the Queensland government to participate in the STNI.

I know they are going to participate in the new SIR, does that include all queensland or does it have exclusions?

Sorry for all questions

We originally planned on Brisbane to go to, but with the points rise we no longer qualify for skilled independant. So we looked toward Adelaide, but there doesn't seem to be a fraction of the jobs there.

I am also getting a lot of feed back from another forum, about whether it is cheaper in Adelaide to live or England, the majority are saying that it isn't any cheaper.

Can anyone in queensland agree with them or is it cheaper for anyone else.
I know property is more expensive, but what about day to day living?

Any replies welcome
Old Jun 29th 2004, 11:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

ScuntoBris will become famous soon enough

Bump
Old Jun 30th 2004, 12:01 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: Carpentry jobs in Brisbane

Originally posted by sunnyj

Can anyone in queensland agree with them or is it cheaper for anyone else.
I know property is more expensive, but what about day to day living?

Any replies welcome
Not a carpenter so can't answer you on rates and your other queries regarding that. But as with most of these trades you shouldn't have a prob finding a job here in Brisbane due to the amount of houses being built here . There always seems to be tons of work in the courier mail job section for anyone in the building and carpentry trade.

This is regarding "costs" . Brisbane is still one of the cheapest states to buy a house.The more expensive housing market is Sydney and Melbourne. If you're comparing SE of England house prices, you'll find Brisbane housing market cheap.. or reasonable, but not expensive.

Day to day living costs here in Brisbane - I'll think you will find in the long run it is about the same as the UK , it really is swings and roundabouts.
Food I'm paying more, rates I pay less, petrol is cheaper, but I probably spend about the same amount as I'm driving further distances. Tax I pay more, electricity I pay around $250 a quarter ( more since I've installed a aircon.. it was around $350 last summer.. haven't had my winter one in yet.. but I expect that to be the same as I'm using it to heat up the house in the nights).

cheers
Old Jun 30th 2004, 3:44 am
ABCDiamond

Have a look at this website for an idea on wages.

It actually shows Brisbane Trades wages as being the highest in the country.

It says that carpenter wages in Brisbane in Feb 2003 were an average of $37.74 ph. Maybe some local carpenters could confirm that ?

There have been plenty of threads on the cost of living comparisons, and I think the answer ends up as "it depends"

Where you shop, what you buy, etc.

Some say it is cheaper here in QLD, some say it is more expensive, and each person is right in their own circumstances.

House prices will vary a lot depending on what part of Brisbane you go for. West being generally cheaper than East for example.

Old Jun 30th 2004, 4:30 am

gedge has disabled reputation

We've got a friend who recently moved from Sydney to Brisbane and happens to be a carpenter. He had no problems finding work.
I recall he went there with a few contacts but hadn't actively looked for work before (sorry M if you read this, hope I'm right in what I say). Anyway he got work within a couple of weeks, cos he's really good
Old Jun 30th 2004, 5:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

Hubby is a carpenter the average wage is non form work $25.00 per hour.

However when you arrive he will need to get a blue cars a saftey card to even set foot on a work site and if he wants to be a sub contractor he must, get all his qualifications transferred to Ozzy ones and then sit a business management course etc.

Equates to time and over a $1000 dollars.

Cannot compare it to anywhere else but our outgoings are low.