Reload this Page >

carpenters licence ????

carpenters licence ????

Old Aug 19th 2003, 8:05 pm
Just Joined

mark 1966 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default carpenters licence ????

hi all

after reading baldbutts fantastic post on how to get your electrical licence in wa i was wondering if i would have to do a similiar thing in brisbane to work as a chippy if anyone has been through this process the info would be greatfully accepted by myself and the numerous other chips waiting to head aus way.

cheers

mark
Old Aug 19th 2003, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road
Default Re: carpenters licence ????

Originally posted by mark 1966
hi all

after reading baldbutts fantastic post on how to get your electrical licence in wa i was wondering if i would have to do a similiar thing in brisbane to work as a chippy if anyone has been through this process the info would be greatfully accepted by myself and the numerous other chips waiting to head aus way.

cheers

mark
Be interesting to know if its all tradesmen who have to have a licence as hubby is a plasterer
regards
rach
Old Aug 19th 2003, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by nosuchluck
Be interesting to know if its all tradesmen who have to have a licence as hubby is a plasterer
regards
rach
All trades need qualifications and a license, we had a guy fit a roller door for a garage even he had one, plus all the ABN/ insurance stuff too.

Accountability and liability for your work here is big. People really follow up on shoddy work, they can and do get it rectified.

Probably looking up the Building Services Authority in the State you are going to would be a start.
Old Aug 20th 2003, 5:24 am
Forum Regular

Daffy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by mark 1966
hi all

cheers

mark
Hi Mark

We aren't in Queensland but South Australia. We have been in Adelaide just over 2 months and my husband is a carpenter. He had his own building business in England and did everything, carpentry, brickwork, plastering etc etc, though he has done carpentry for the past 25 years.

After we arrived here we went to the Office of Consumer Affairs to sort out a Builders Licence of some sort. When you apply you can list a number of skills on your application. My husband listed carpentry and brickwork. Though he is more than qualified as a carpenter The Consumer Affairs have only given him a licence for bricklaying. They have told him that to get the carpenters' licence he must go to college and study a carpentry course including all the South Australian Rules and Regulations.

My husband is working at present as a carpenter but it is for someone else. Without a carpentry licence he cannot operate as 'self-employed'. He cannot work alone but must have his work supervised. This is a bit of a bum as we would liked to have bought land and built initially and then moved onto building for other people. The only way around this is to employ an independent Supervisor to supervise my husbands work.

Given some time working for someone else (and earning money to keep us!) he will learn the Aussie regulations and he plans to do some weekend courses and then go back and try and get his Builders' Licence.

On speaking to locals they believe Queensland operates under slightly different rules. I will try and find out.

Daffy
Old Aug 20th 2003, 6:12 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

I am on the case regarding the need for registration/licensing for those with trade skills, and will post back here once I have something concrete to report.

Best regards.
Old Aug 20th 2003, 6:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Try www.bsa.qld.gov.au for good information on License Info.

For other states just do a search on Building Services Authority and add your State. Think rules are along similar lines tho.

Try to remember here Building, Plumbing etc is looked at as a profession, not just a bloke whos a a bit handy with a few tools as is often OK in England. Qualifications seem to be required like an apprenteship or Study.
Old Aug 20th 2003, 6:36 am
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

that is odd that builders req lic's etc

but i seem to remember people saying that the buildings are rubbish and the std of work poor?

is this right?

cheers

richard

Last edited by r.bartlett; Aug 20th 2003 at 6:44 am.
Old Aug 20th 2003, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by r.bartlett
that is ood that builders req lic's etc

but i seem to remember people saying that the buildings are rubbish and the std of work poor?

is this right?

cheers

richard
There seemed to be a lot of trouble here a couple of years back with builders folding and leaving hundreds of houses in the lurch. Perhaps that started this strict license system?

Dont really think its odd myself, why should anyone be allowed to knock up a house, (most expensive thing most people ever buy without being accountable? or qualified to do so) Or people performing electrical work with no qualifications is madness.

I think by quality of homes being rubbish relates to the "cheap' mass produced stuff that is churned out here, houses before the boom were going up in 6 weeks and its only slowed down to lack of tradesmen.
Old Aug 20th 2003, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

I should say here in case I am accused of trying to put people off instead of just giving information. That most plumbers, electricians etc who have the qualifications and paperwork seem to do very nicely indeed. We know Doctors and Carpenters and Plumbers, all will tell you the Doctor earns less! You dont see many trades men in Utes nowdays, its BMW's once the the days work is done. Thought plumbers chippies etc in the UK did pretty nicely too tho?
Old Aug 20th 2003, 1:14 pm
Just Joined

mark 1966 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks all for your help in this matter , look forward to seeing what alan turns up

mark
Old Aug 20th 2003, 3:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Alan Collett
I am on the case regarding the need for registration/licensing for those with trade skills, and will post back here once I have something concrete to report.

Best regards.
Hi Alan
i would be very interested in anything you could find out re: plasterers licences.
with regards
rach
Old Aug 20th 2003, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

http://www.ocba.sa.gov.au/licensing/...ers/index.html

this is the s.a site

email them and ask what you need..

cheers

richard