Reload this Page >

Carpenter - Tools Question

Carpenter - Tools Question

Old May 24th 2007, 8:58 pm
Just Joined

King Family is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Carpenter - Tools Question

Hi,

M husband is a carpenter and as you can imagine has all of his tools for his trade that he has built up over the years. A number of them are 110 power output which we know he won't be able to use in Oz, however some are 240 -is it just a case of changing the plug to enable him to use them on site on Oz??

Anyone help with this one?

Thanks!!
Old May 25th 2007, 4:39 am
Just Joined

Tracker is just really niceTracker is just really niceTracker is just really niceTracker is just really niceTracker is just really niceTracker is just really niceTracker is just really niceTracker is just really nice
Default Re: Carpenter - Tools Question

Originally Posted by King Family
Hi,

M husband is a carpenter and as you can imagine has all of his tools for his trade that he has built up over the years. A number of them are 110 power output which we know he won't be able to use in Oz, however some are 240 -is it just a case of changing the plug to enable him to use them on site on Oz??

Anyone help with this one?

Thanks!!

Yes just change the plugs he could also do the same on his transformer
if he wanted.
Old May 25th 2007, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

Neil51 is just really niceNeil51 is just really niceNeil51 is just really niceNeil51 is just really niceNeil51 is just really niceNeil51 is just really niceNeil51 is just really niceNeil51 is just really nice

Hi,
I'm not an expert but I would say that "just changing the plugs" on a device that operates on 110v will not allow it to work with 240v. A plug does not transform voltages. All a plug does is allow the electric current connection into the grid, which by the way is also 240v in the UK. I would phone up an electrician and get their advice, or find an e-mail contact for the power tool manufacturer and get their product technical specifications.
Old May 25th 2007, 3:20 pm
BBQ-KING

BBQ-KING is a jewel in the roughBBQ-KING is a jewel in the roughBBQ-KING is a jewel in the roughBBQ-KING is a jewel in the roughBBQ-KING is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Neil51
Hi,
I'm not an expert but I would say that "just changing the plugs" on a device that operates on 110v will not allow it to work with 240v. A plug does not transform voltages. All a plug does is allow the electric current connection into the grid, which by the way is also 240v in the UK. I would phone up an electrician and get their advice, or find an e-mail contact for the power tool manufacturer and get their product technical specifications.
I think what Tracker means is that the 240v step down transformer (usually a yellow plastic box with handle) he uses in the UK for his 110v tools, would need the plug changing on it.
Good luck
BBQ-KING
Old May 25th 2007, 5:16 pm
Just Joined

qphreak is an unknown quantity at this point

Be aware, a simple "dumb" step-down transformer is meant to be used only on electric devices such as curling irons, toasters, etc. Electronic devices such as meters, scopes, i.e. anything with circuitry in it will not work with these transformers. Electronics and even most electric motors (like drills) expect a pure sinusoidal waveform coming from the electric outlet, not a sawtooth or square waveform.

Of course, if the tool specifically mentions something like 100V-240V 50/60Hz, you would be safe to just change the plug on the cord.

Last edited by qphreak; May 25th 2007 at 5:23 pm.
Old May 27th 2007, 7:34 am
Just Joined

Tracker is just really niceTracker is just really niceTracker is just really niceTracker is just really niceTracker is just really niceTracker is just really niceTracker is just really niceTracker is just really nice

Originally Posted by Neil51
Hi,

Thats right your not an expert the uk is 240 power and so is australia
so he can put new plugs on his 240 tools and if he wants to use his 110 tools here ( Australia) he can change the plug on his transformer which also runs of 240 power and takes it down to 110.
Old May 28th 2007, 8:50 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Tracker
Thats right your not an expert the uk is 240 power and so is australia
so he can put new plugs on his 240 tools and if he wants to use his 110 tools here ( Australia) he can change the plug on his transformer which also runs of 240 power and takes it down to 110.

Well considering I am a female and 30+ I know exactly what you are going on about, silly yellow heavy transformer used specifically for the building trade in the uk, plugs into a 240v socket and chucks out 110v, change the plug how hard is that.
Jenny