Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Carpenter/joiner's tools

Carpenter/joiner's tools

Old Jun 3rd 2004, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

Handyandy180 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Carpenter/joiner's tools

Hi fellow chippies, can any of you tell me how you got your tools over? assuming that i am lucky enough to find employment straight away i will need my tools (so hard using others equipment and hate not having the right gear to do the job!!). have you all taken your own tackle and if so how? How many bought new and at what cost? Dread the thought of awaiting 6 weeks for our personal effect to arrive. Thinking of the weight of my tools is it possible to air- freight them and again at what costs.
Good luck to all that are trying.
Regards Chris and Andrea.
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 9:54 pm
Just Joined

badger63 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Carpenter/joiner's tools

Originally posted by Handyandy180
Hi fellow chippies, can any of you tell me how you got your tools over? assuming that i am lucky enough to find employment straight away i will need my tools (so hard using others equipment and hate not having the right gear to do the job!!). have you all taken your own tackle and if so how? How many bought new and at what cost? Dread the thought of awaiting 6 weeks for our personal effect to arrive. Thinking of the weight of my tools is it possible to air- freight them and again at what costs.
Sending mine before we leave thought it best to live in the uk with bare essentials rather than in Oz have begged stole and borrowed all we need for our last six weeks here.
Being a chippy as well understand about using others tools plus once you start cleaning them up and packing them away its amazing how many items you have.
Thought it best to ship the lot hopefully they will all become handy out in Oz
Think you wont be able to work straight away anyway, not until you have had your skills assessed in the state you planning to settle and then there is the trade licence as well.
Old Jun 6th 2004, 8:26 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Chris,

Andrew is also a chippie. Flying them out would be very expensive. He recently went to Portugal to do some work and had to fly some tools over. Two small tool boxes of hand tools, none of his big stuff (I'm sure you know what I mean, I'm still a novice when it comes to know which saw is which, lol) and it cost us £147 each way. Luckily the firm he went with picked up the tab about a month later. Doesn't bare thinking about how much it would cost to fly all Andrew's tools to Oz. Clean them up and ship them. Best wishes.
Old Jun 6th 2004, 9:58 pm
NZ or Bust!

Sazzle is an unknown quantity at this point

Fly tools to OZ...
why not use a boat.. it is sooo much cheaper.....

Also Im not sure, but I dont think they use 110 volt on site there like we do here.... pay to check that out.

Maybe take a couple of 240/110 trannies over with you?

and I also beleive the kit should be clean..
Dirt and wood are main problems...
Old Jun 6th 2004, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

Handyandy180 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all for the info. Think they will be Cleaned oiled and put into a part container.
Lets hope all that sea air keeps em dry lol. Once again thanks.
Good luck to all that are trying,
Old Jun 7th 2004, 3:06 am
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Thanks all for the info. Think they will be Cleaned oiled and put into a part container.
Lets hope all that sea air keeps em dry lol. Once again thanks.
Good luck to all that are trying,

Brought over cleaned and in some cases painted the handles of all carpentry, plumbing, tiling, electric tools that we could fit in the container and wished we had brought more. There is no problem with the electric tools at this end if you used 110 volt on site you would have the transformer anyway or get one here. Bring everythging you can (if you can sneak in some paint without the packers noticing brigng some aluminium wood primer - no such item known here and lots of the paint in houses is old dark varnish/stain which needs the aluminium primer to seal it. otherwise it is scraping, sanding and burning for ages before you can paint.
Old Jun 7th 2004, 6:57 am
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all
Default Re: Carpenter/joiner's tools

Don't bother bringing any 110v power tools....it's all 240v here.