Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Carianne, this one could be for you (but thoughts from all appreciated)

Carianne, this one could be for you (but thoughts from all appreciated)

Old Jul 20th 2003, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

Bella will become famous soon enough
Default Carianne, this one could be for you (but thoughts from all appreciated)

Hi Carianne,

as you're fab at putting lists together and thinking ahead, I wondered if you've given any thought to what luggage you're taking with you (Ann Summers items excepted!)?
Having read Jacqui's post yesterday I was wondering whether I was way off the mark in thinking hubby and myself will only need 2 bits of luggage each. Her family took 18 between them( 2 adults 2 kids)!

So waddya reckon for the first couple of months in Oz around Sep/Oct, Melbourne area?

Anyone already over there got any advice as to what we can't possibly do without before our shipment arrives??

Cheers,
Bella
Old Jul 20th 2003, 12:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Carianne, this one could be for you (but thoughts from all appreciated)

Me, hubby and two kids had two large suitcases, one small suite case, hand luggage was two laptop bags, two hold alls. We put all our improtant documents (birth certificates etc), wedding photo album, baby photo album, hubby's qualifications certificates etc in one of the suitcases amongst the clothes. We didn't bring an awful lot of clothes with us, mainly just our favourites, to be honest we are no fashion freaks anyway so didn't own a lot of clothes!! the kids favourite toys were in one of the suitcases as well. Don't forget tooth brushes etc.

I'm sure other people will offer advise too

Mandy

Originally posted by Bella
Hi Carianne,

as you're fab at putting lists together and thinking ahead, I wondered if you've given any thought to what luggage you're taking with you (Ann Summers items excepted!)?
Having read Jacqui's post yesterday I was wondering whether I was way off the mark in thinking hubby and myself will only need 2 bits of luggage each. Her family took 18 between them( 2 adults 2 kids)!

So waddya reckon for the first couple of months in Oz around Sep/Oct, Melbourne area?

Anyone already over there got any advice as to what we can't possibly do without before our shipment arrives??

Cheers,
Bella
Old Jul 20th 2003, 2:40 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Think in terms of going for a 2 month holiday. You can wash clothes of course but there are things that you may want before your shipment arrives like hair dryer and etc.
Also Take a rigid Coolbox (we always do when we go oz or USA) fill it with some empty plastic boxes - or use them to put things in) some cutlery a bottle operner, cork screw and some plastic plates bowls and cups (useful for picnics as well as making do before your stuff gets there.) Most motels will supply ice from machine or take some iceblocks to freeze in your frig in motel. (put these iceblocks in hand luggage or sometimes they explode in wrong pressure comartments.)

We wrap the icebox in bubble wrap and then a black sac with lots of gaffer tape. Never had a problem yet.
first aid kit and any special medic or ointments you prefer - get some nuskin before you go its quite difficult to find in oz.

Old Jul 20th 2003, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

We are planning to take our max allowance which will be about 160kg (flying via the states and 5 of us).Our big cases usually weigh about 30kg when full, so we reckon about 5 - 6 large cases.

We are going to take all of the kids clothes and a selection of ours. All our precious photos, some toys and a whole case of towels, bed sheets and other linen. I am pondering the idea of taking a few kitchen essentials, but I might just buy them when we get there.

My eldest will want to take his Nintendo etc so I am sure we will easily fill all of the cases!

It sounds like a lot , but we usually take 2 - 3 huge cases for a 2 week hol in Florida so I am sure we won't be able to take as much as we would like.

TIna
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

Sorry for the delay been decorating the house. we are packing everything away and only taking our luggage allowance with essentials. Even hubbies PS2 is going away, but we plan to have th furniture by the time we get a rented house, so timing is essential.

I have decided that we have 32kg going via America

essentials needed before clothes

References, hubbys trade paper's no claims discount paperwork, bank statements etc. Driving licence. Birth Certificates etc

One suit for me and one for hubby with suitable shoes and shirts (interviews)

mobile, camera, camcorder,

various clothes, small amount of toiletries.

We will be living out of this case from when we sell the flat so friends have already agreed to lend me winter clothes.

I hope this helps

Carrianne x
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 3:59 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Originally posted by Carrianne
Hi,

Sorry for the delay been decorating the house. we are packing everything away and only taking our luggage allowance with essentials. Even hubbies PS2 is going away, but we plan to have th furniture by the time we get a rented house, so timing is essential.

I have decided that we have 32kg going via America

essentials needed before clothes

References, hubbys trade paper's no claims discount paperwork, bank statements etc. Driving licence. Birth Certificates etc

One suit for me and one for hubby with suitable shoes and shirts (interviews)

mobile, camera, camcorder,

various clothes, small amount of toiletries.

We will be living out of this case from when we sell the flat so friends have already agreed to lend me winter clothes.

I hope this helps

Carrianne x

Carianne Did you realise that the USA luggage allowance is actually 64 k PER PERSON????
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

Bella will become famous soon enough

Thanks everyone. You've all been very helpful and I will breathe easy knowing I don't have to go and buy umpteen new suitcases!!
Bella
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point

Even going via Asia the immigrant baggage allowance is 40kg per person (double the usual 20kg).

Photo albums can be just as easily lost if your suitcases go astray - which is probably more likely than your container falling off the boat.

We're taking the negatives of all photos with us (lightweight) and shipping the albums with the container. Safest method and always recoverable. You could even get the photos scanned onto a photo CD if you don't have the negatives and take the CD.
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

james & bev is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by yafm
Carianne Did you realise that the USA luggage allowance is actually 64 k PER PERSON????
is this right 64kg per person via the states?? if so who with???

cheers

james
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 8:08 pm
too busy to work members

All teh american airlines and lots of the others doing that route alow 64k BUT it must be only in TWO suitcases no heavier than 32k each. If you use three cases you would pay for the lightest as extra baggage.
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

james & bev is an unknown quantity at this point

All teh american airlines and lots of the others doing that route alow 64k BUT it must be only in TWO suitcases no heavier than 32k each. If you use three cases you would pay for the lightest as extra baggage.
thanks for that. Ours cases will be coming in at 32kg a piece exactly then. Just need to get Bev and our 4 yr old in the gym now to cart these things around.

james
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 8:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point

Done this before. Any journey where the plane touches down or takes off in the USA (incl Hawaii) allows 2 bags max 32kg apiece = 64 kg.

BUT... if you have another leg of the journey that doesn't start or stop in USA eg Fiji to Sydney you're back to 20kg each again. So make sure you're flying direct to Oz from Hawaii.
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 5:32 am
too busy to work members

Originally posted by Jolyn
Done this before. Any journey where the plane touches down or takes off in the USA (incl Hawaii) allows 2 bags max 32kg apiece = 64 kg.

BUT... if you have another leg of the journey that doesn't start or stop in USA eg Fiji to Sydney you're back to 20kg each again. So make sure you're flying direct to Oz from Hawaii.

Not sure this is correct. We went around the world with the huge allocation and stopped Hawai Auckland Sydney Alice, Darwin, Melbourne, Brisbane, Bali Syngapore Thaoiland Beiging Shanghai Istanbul Austria no problems anywhere (not even internal China where they say a much lower allowance)
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 5:46 am
Forum Regular

madmancunian is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure this is correct. We went around the world with the huge allocation and stopped Hawai Auckland Sydney Alice, Darwin, Melbourne, Brisbane, Bali Syngapore Thaoiland Beiging Shanghai Istanbul Austria no problems anywhere (not even internal China where they say a much lower allowance)
Was the pilot lost? Doesn't seem to be a straight line to me.

MM