Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Be Careful What you wish for.

Be Careful What you wish for.

Old Aug 26th 2005, 3:29 pm
Professional Princess

Thumbs up Be Careful What you wish for.

Isn't it funny, there are people that spend time, vast amounts of money and suffer tons of stress to begin what they think will be a new life in Australia.

There are people that are financially secure, will be mortgage free in Australia and things will 'go their way'. They may however, feel despite what they have, they miss what they don't have - Great Britain, family and friends.

There are the people that migrate with little money, no house to sell and people that may or may not miss them in England. They will have to work twice as hard to succeed financially and again, although still feel homesick, also feel trapped because they feel they have nothing to go back to.

Some people might find that now they have caught the 'tiger by the tail' so to speak, its not as they imaginged it and the homesickness is so painful, they return to the UK.

And don't forget the people that have found everything has fallen into place. Money or no money, it feels right, they are where they want to be and its everything they have wished for and more.

I find on this site that you cant win either way. If you say your life is going swimmingly, then someone will say you have 'rose tinted specs syndrome'.

If someone says they miss the UK and the pain of that is bad is almost physical, they get called a moaning POM for merely airing their opinion.

I think it takes incredible courage to move to another country, my sister has done it (Cyprus), my husband has done it. And we are trying to do it again.

It takes guts and determination to make it work and just because someone has shed loads of money, well that wont buy determination either will it?

And if someone is less well off, well that makes them just as determined.

It also takes courage for someone to decide it wasn't for them. To face family, friends and start again back in the UK. The paradise wasn't what they imagined, their feelings didn't match up.

Just because people have found out Australia wasn't 'home' and have come back, it may well make the people dreaming of that chance angry.

Thats just it, dreams are personal, they belong to each and every one of us and we cant impose ours on others.

Its the right of all of us to do what we think is best for ourselves and it would be nice to be supported in that.

My dream as you all know is for Abdel and I to pass the skills assessment, Abdel pass his English test and for us to move to Australia. Any part will do and we will give it a 'fair go'.

Nope, we are not rich, and we have no house, but if you can put a price on ambition and determination, then yes, we have it all.

And while we are waiting, I want to wish everyone who is making the move, the best of luck.

If its your own slice of heaven, fantastic and enjoy it.

If its not for you, bloody well done for putting yourself through this stressful process, and I hope you find where you want to be.

I know with Abdel and me, there is a piece of our life missing, which felt complete when we were in Australia and we didnt need to search for anything anymore as we had found it.

So good luck to people making their own way in the world of migration.

And remember it takes two sides to make a balanced point of view.

Yours patiently waiting for her turn - Samantha

Old Aug 26th 2005, 3:37 pm
Account Closed

suzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Be Careful What you wish for.

I know with Abdel and me, there is a piece of our life missing, which felt complete when we were in Australia and we didnt need to search for anything anymore as we had found it.

We felt exactly the same Sam

wonderful post

Suzy
Old Aug 26th 2005, 3:45 pm
Professional Princess

Originally Posted by suzy

We felt exactly the same Sam

wonderful post

Suzy

Only way I can describe it.

Old Aug 26th 2005, 3:47 pm
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

Well said Sam,people should be allowed to follow their dreams and ambitions without fear of being slagged off for it not working, or indeed for it working too well.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

cybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant future

Better to have tried and failed than to live a life of "what if"

Old Aug 26th 2005, 3:52 pm
Just Joined

fishcalgem is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by gobbyjock
Well said Sam,people should be allowed to follow their dreams and ambitions without fear of being slagged off for it not working, or indeed for it working too well.
What a lovely post!!

My Grandma used to say " money won't buy you happiness, your love will"
Old Aug 26th 2005, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

coxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Isn't it funny, there are people that spend time, vast amounts of money and suffer tons of stress to begin what they think will be a new life in Australia.

There are people that are financially secure, will be mortgage free in Australia and things will 'go their way'. They may however, feel despite what they have, they miss what they don't have - Great Britain, family and friends.

There are the people that migrate with little money, no house to sell and people that may or may not miss them in England. They will have to work twice as hard to succeed financially and again, although still feel homesick, also feel trapped because they feel they have nothing to go back to.

Some people might find that now they have caught the 'tiger by the tail' so to speak, its not as they imaginged it and the homesickness is so painful, they return to the UK.

And don't forget the people that have found everything has fallen into place. Money or no money, it feels right, they are where they want to be and its everything they have wished for and more.

I find on this site that you cant win either way. If you say your life is going swimmingly, then someone will say you have 'rose tinted specs syndrome'.

If someone says they miss the UK and the pain of that is bad is almost physical, they get called a moaning POM for merely airing their opinion.

I think it takes incredible courage to move to another country, my sister has done it (Cyprus), my husband has done it. And we are trying to do it again.

It takes guts and determination to make it work and just because someone has shed loads of money, well that wont buy determination either will it?

It also takes courage for someone to decide it wasn't for them. To face family, friends and start again back in the UK. The paradise wasn't what they imagined, their feelings didn't match up.

Just because people have found out Australia wasn't 'home' and have come back, it may well make the people dreaming of that chance angry.

Thats just it, dreams are personal, they belong to each and every one of us and we cant impose ours on others.

Its the right of all of us to do what we think is best for ourselves and it would be nice to be supported in that.

My dream as you all know is for Abdel and I to pass the skills assessment, Abdel pass his English test and for us to move to Australia. Any part will do and we will give it a 'fair go'.

Nope, we are not rich, and we have no house, but if you can put a price on ambition and determination, then yes, we have it all.

And while we are waiting, I want to wish everyone who is making the move, the best of luck.

If its not for you, bloody well done for putting yourself through this stressful process, and I hope you find where you want to be.

Wow, this just blew me away and also humbled me. I have been bleating for a couple of weeks now (you will have learned patience isn't my thing!) about how things haven't gone my way and I feel ashamed of myself now (but in a good way). Thanks for this, it is enlightened and inspiring. Some K for you!

Sarah
Old Aug 26th 2005, 3:56 pm
Happy Member

kris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond repute

Well said Sam

God your bloody good at writing!

Cheers

Kris xx
Old Aug 26th 2005, 4:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

BettyBoop has a spectacular aura aboutBettyBoop has a spectacular aura aboutBettyBoop has a spectacular aura about
Wink Re: Be Careful What you wish for.

Originally Posted by Professional Princess

Eloquently said!!
Lets hope its absorbed and digested by all........
Old Aug 26th 2005, 4:05 pm
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

This whole process takes over lives - you eat sleep and breathe it - you bore everyone you meet by talking about it yet we still can`t help ignoring the glasy looks in their eyes. You are literally putting all your eggs in one basket - hurting friends and family who don`t want you to go because they`ll miss you and yet we still put ourselves through this torture. It takes either a lot of guts or sheer stupidity, but once you`ve got the bug you have to try your hardest to see it through to the end - whatever that may be for each individual. Psychiatrists would have a field analsying us lot and give the rest of the population a damned good laugh into the bargain.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 4:07 pm
Professional Princess

Originally Posted by gobbyjock
This whole process takes over lives - you eat sleep and breathe it - you bore everyone you meet by talking about it yet we still can`t help ignoring the glasy looks in their eyes. You are literally putting all your eggs in one basket - hurting friends and family who don`t want you to go because they`ll miss you and yet we still put ourselves through this torture. It takes either a lot of guts or sheer stupidity, but once you`ve got the bug you have to try your hardest to see it through to the end - whatever that may be for each individual. Psychiatrists would have a field analsying us lot and give the rest of the population a damned good laugh into the bargain.

Taken over everything with me.

I have invented pretend TRA characters and I now believe that Barry the Camp TRA man is real.

(rocks back and forth talking to Barry)

Old Aug 26th 2005, 4:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Flutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud of

Great post good observations.

Since joining here, i have thought a lot about what makes a person/family successful candidates for emigrating.

Please dont get angry or cross with me as they are merely my opinions and i am not saying these things to upset or offend.

I feel these points below will NOT make good candidates. Of course it doesnt mean EVERY person in these situations or have these personality traits will fail, but it makes life harder.

* Those not in a rock steady marriage or relationship. You need to be in very good shape emotionally with your partner to ride out the extreme pressures and lifestyle re adjustments. I would imagine that even solid marriages could slide down a slippery slope on occasions

* Families with one or more member not so keen to make the move.

* People who have an inflexible personality and find change difficult. If you are the type who likes everything in its place, have a low tolerance threshold, or want life and everything around you to be "just so" you could well be in for a very big shock!! You need to develop a strong sense of adaptability.

* Fashion victims, label wearers, and social climbers could find it a struggle too.

Just my observations.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 4:12 pm
Happy Member

kris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond repute

I have invented pretend TRA characters and I now believe that Barry the Camp TRA man is real.

Oh my god you mean his not!!

Kris xx
Old Aug 26th 2005, 4:25 pm
& Sharon, Mike & Luke

andyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really nice

You keep writing your bloody good stories, get them published and you'll have money to add to that ambition and determination I'm sure!!
What a very well put post, agree with every word and I'd give you Karma if I didn't have to put some about a bit first
Wishing you and Abdel all the success and here's to achieving that dream
Cheers Sharon x
p.s Is it past the yard arm yet?? I feel the need to have a toast of everyone's health for some reason !!!!
Old Aug 26th 2005, 4:26 pm
BLC

Well said Sam

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.