Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Careful what you wish for.....

Wikiposts

Careful what you wish for.....

Old Jun 11th 2005, 1:31 am
Paul, Louise, Laura & Amy

gajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Careful what you wish for.....

Originally Posted by Pollyana
....ever since I moved here I've been wishing for a friont-loading washing machine, (yes, that old chestnut again!) .

So today, what happens - top loading heap of junk is full of steaming hot water, and some of my clothes, and its just stopped! Just like that. Mid cycle, full of water, clothes unreachable under the surface cos the water is too d*mn hot.
And its just turned itself off. And is sitting there grinning at me without an ounce of life in itself. Mounstains of washing, no car to get to a lauderette so its downto good old handwashing for everything. And tomake matters wosre hes just signed his life away on a car loan, so we now can't afford to get a new washing machine! Washer-woman's hands, here I come.

Incidentally, when he went to get the car loan, they refused him until he had got the limit on his two credit cards reduced to $50 instead of $3000 - thats the LIMIT, not the balance owing.I knew they were like this when getting a mortgage, but it seems they are funny like it with loans as well.

Anyone got a front loader going cheap..........
We paid $599 for a Samsung 7kg front loader from Retravision, then we got a $150 rebate from the government too. So not that expensive at all.
Old Jun 11th 2005, 3:02 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by gajjitt
We paid $599 for a Samsung 7kg front loader from Retravision, then we got a $150 rebate from the government too. So not that expensive at all.

AGH polly I know just how you feel
I got my 2nd hand front loader (fully recon) for $400 7kg whirlpool.

I was told by 2 washing machine repair men to avoid LG as the parts are harder to get in Australia.
Old Jun 11th 2005, 3:56 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Unfirtunately Qld doesn't get the rebate However The Bloke is threatening to take the thing apart tomorrow, so it looks like I could end up with a garden full of washing machine parts, and a new front-loader!
Old Jun 11th 2005, 3:59 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Unfirtunately Qld doesn't get the rebate However The Bloke is threatening to take the thing apart tomorrow, so it looks like I could end up with a garden full of washing machine parts, and a new front-loader!
Well that'll keep him quiet for a few hours

Good luck with getting a new front loader.
Old Jun 11th 2005, 4:29 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Should teach the neighbours some new language too
Old Jun 11th 2005, 9:56 am
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

that would be great - might even have a car by then, which would make things easier!
I'll pm you my mobile number, then you can get in touch,
Looking forward to it Met up with Tinaj last time we were up - perhaps we can make it a multi-meet???
Old Jun 12th 2005, 4:51 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Dont worry hun, the country folk round here love to plant shitty little plants in there shitty little top loader washing machine parts, they use the "drum" as a big plant pot.

Bless em.
Kala
Old Jun 12th 2005, 5:10 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JayDeee
Dont worry hun, the country folk round here love to plant shitty little plants in there shitty little top loader washing machine parts, they use the "drum" as a big plant pot.

Bless em.
Kala
Ummmm nice area Jaydeee Do they use old sinks and toilet bowls as planters as well?
Old Jun 12th 2005, 5:27 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

Originally Posted by glittababe
Ummmm nice area Jaydeee Do they use old sinks and toilet bowls as planters as well?

ERMMMMMMMMMMMMMM yes thay do, Height of fassion I hear

Ya gotta love this country livving

Kala
Old Jun 12th 2005, 10:32 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

If this is an older type top loader there aint too much to it. Probably water in the motor and getting a recon motor or new for under 100 and easily installed will get that good old top loader working like new again.
Old Jun 12th 2005, 2:28 pm
Home and Happy

Ithink its reasonably new (well, 5 or 6 years old ish) its one of those Fisher & Watsit ones that makes stupid musical noises when you turn it on. Got stuck at the spin cycle, and you could hear the motor trying to spin but not managing it.
Good excuse for a day off work getting someone out to look at it anyway - any Expats in the north Brissie area got their Qld "Looking at Krap Washing Machine" Licence??
Old Jun 13th 2005, 10:00 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

, they use the "drum" as a big plant pot.

Bless em.
Kala
I've seen em in camp sites put on 3 of those star spike things as legs, they make great fires Was tempted to nab one, but it wouldn't fit in the boot
Old Jun 13th 2005, 10:24 pm
Chelmsford>Leeds>NSW!

lel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nice

Originally Posted by gajjitt

That's what we got too. In fact It was my one stipulation to the stuff Gav was buying before I arrived here. NO top-loading machine!

Now all I need to do is find half decent washing powder and conditioner as the smell is funny and towels have been coming out of the machine all scratchy!
Old Jun 13th 2005, 11:22 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Ithink its reasonably new (well, 5 or 6 years old ish) its one of those Fisher & Watsit ones that makes stupid musical noises when you turn it on. Got stuck at the spin cycle, and you could hear the motor trying to spin but not managing it.
Good excuse for a day off work getting someone out to look at it anyway - any Expats in the north Brissie area got their Qld "Looking at Krap Washing Machine" Licence??
Sounds like the phase shift capacitor has gone.

A.
Old Jun 14th 2005, 12:27 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

ERMMMMMMMMMMMMMM yes thay do, Height of fassion I hear

Ya gotta love this country livving

Kala
I don't see the problem with that. There are plenty of cottages in the nice parts of Surrey and Hampshire where you will find an old Belfast sink in the garden as a planter.

I wanted to use our old toilet as a planter, or maybe as the base for a fountain - in fact I wanted to have two - one each side of the gate. I thought they would look no worse than the tasteless and tacky faux stone lions on the gateposts of a house up the road.

MrsDagBoy wouldn't let me

Cheers,

BogBoy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.