Career Change

Old Jan 4th 2007, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

Wilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really nice
Default Career Change

Hello,

Was wondering if anyone had completely changed the career when they moved to Australia or is thinking about it.

I am currently a PA for an Insurance company and have for various other industries but I have a degree in PR but for one reason and another it didn't work out in that career.

I am now thinking about changing my career though to be honest not sure what I want to do - opening my own shop sounds a nice idea! but I really just wanted to hear from people who have done this and it's worked for them and how easy/hard people have found it!

Thanks in advance for any replies!
Old Jan 4th 2007, 4:00 pm
DWT
Just Joined

DWT has a brilliant futureDWT has a brilliant futureDWT has a brilliant futureDWT has a brilliant futureDWT has a brilliant futureDWT has a brilliant futureDWT has a brilliant futureDWT has a brilliant future
Default Re: Career Change

Originally Posted by Wilso16
Hello,

Was wondering if anyone had completely changed the career when they moved to Australia or is thinking about it.

I am currently a PA for an Insurance company and have for various other industries but I have a degree in PR but for one reason and another it didn't work out in that career.

I am now thinking about changing my career though to be honest not sure what I want to do - opening my own shop sounds a nice idea! but I really just wanted to hear from people who have done this and it's worked for them and how easy/hard people have found it!

Yep, I'm having a complete career change. Going back to college at the age of 40 on a full time 2 year course to be a builder. Fly out to Oz in 14 days time and start my course on 5th Feb.
Old Jan 4th 2007, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

Nikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud of

Hello,

Hi there

I'm definately going to be changing career as unfortunately I don't think there's much call for housing officers in Perth. Only problem is that I have no idea what exactly I'm going to do!!!! Can turn my hands to most things as started out as a clerical assistant/cashier, have done barmaid, bouncer, debt management, but I want to find something that is challenging and I really enjoy....any suggestions???? (no rude answers please LOL)

I kind of feel the same as you, that I would like to work for myself but not sure how easy this would be without a lot of capital and no experience (also no idea what kind of business either which could be a problem!!!!)

Where are you off to and when do you head off? We're off to Perth on 29th April (16 weeks on sunday - yeeehhaaaa) Ok, I'm a little excited.

Good luck with whatever career choice you make.

Nikki
Old Jan 4th 2007, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

Wilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really nice

Hi Nikki,

We are not heading to Oz until September time - planning early! We are planning to head to Brisbane for the first 6 months to spend time with OH's family and then move to Sydney.

I would love to have my own shop but same as you wouldn't know what to do and don't have the capital behind me. I just know that after about a year I start to get bored in office jobs and just don't feel satisfied.

Good luck with the move and the job hunting!
Old Jan 4th 2007, 8:53 pm
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep - I've done it. I was a solicitor in the UK. When we first came over here last February, I worked as a paralegal since I would need to re-qualify as a solicitor here in Queensland. Very quickly decided that law was just as boring here as in the UK!

I am now working as a Trainee Financial Planner. Should take me 2 years to obtain my Diploma of Financial Services and be qualified to advise clients. Will be a lot cheaper than re-qualifying as a solicitor!

Money is pretty crap at the moment but the potential is there to earn a lot. There is a shortage of planners. I do have days when I'm a bit bored but overall I'm enjoying it and I don't have that "Oh my God I've got work tomorrow" sinking feeling on a Sunday night any more!
Old Jan 5th 2007, 7:09 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nicstids
Yep - I've done it. I was a solicitor in the UK. When we first came over here last February, I worked as a paralegal since I would need to re-qualify as a solicitor here in Queensland. Very quickly decided that law was just as boring here as in the UK!

I am now working as a Trainee Financial Planner. Should take me 2 years to obtain my Diploma of Financial Services and be qualified to advise clients. Will be a lot cheaper than re-qualifying as a solicitor!

Money is pretty crap at the moment but the potential is there to earn a lot. There is a shortage of planners. I do have days when I'm a bit bored but overall I'm enjoying it and I don't have that "Oh my God I've got work tomorrow" sinking feeling on a Sunday night any more!
Yup. Worked for 19 years as an ophthalmic technician (I think you call it an orthoptist, or at least they do here) and now am the administrator for a registered training organisation. The company I work for also has a division that's a temp agency, so when I get bored of my job I go out on assignment. Right now I'm working at Women's & Children's Hospital for 2 weeks.
Old Jan 5th 2007, 7:13 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Yup. Worked for 19 years as an ophthalmic technician (I think you call it an orthoptist, or at least they do here) and now am the administrator for a registered training organisation. The company I work for also has a division that's a temp agency, so when I get bored of my job I go out on assignment. Right now I'm working at Women's & Children's Hospital for 2 weeks.
I am changing career, I have a stressful job which I worked hard to get, four years at Uni whilst working full time and with children in tow. I have now found that the pendulum has swung too far and the work has affected my personal life. It is hard to find the balance between earning enough to support your family and the stresses that go with earning more and having a happy home life. I am happy at home but feel I don't spend enough time at home. So when I go to Aus I am hoping to have less stress and less pay so I can fully enjoy the laidback lifestyle and really enjoy family life. I do hope it works out that way...
Old Jan 5th 2007, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Brisben
I am changing career, I have a stressful job which I worked hard to get, four years at Uni whilst working full time and with children in tow. I have now found that the pendulum has swung too far and the work has affected my personal life. It is hard to find the balance between earning enough to support your family and the stresses that go with earning more and having a happy home life. I am happy at home but feel I don't spend enough time at home. So when I go to Aus I am hoping to have less stress and less pay so I can fully enjoy the laidback lifestyle and really enjoy family life. I do hope it works out that way...
I am a programmer and at the moment work for a hospital. I've been doing it for nearly 7 years now and would like to do something different but again I don't know what. I'm getting into project management at work at the moment so that is one option but it is still very much IT based. I'm really thinking that I would like to do something completely different like become a dive instructor as I love diving. Not sure how viable that would be though.

We are applying under my husbands skills as his job is on the MODL list at the moment. He seems quite happy to do that job when we arrive but I'm not sure if its something he wants to do forever.
Old Jan 5th 2007, 9:53 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Was a company director and mainly a desk jockey. Now a remedial sports massage therapist. About as radical a change as I could possibly make and loving every minute of it. Will probably get me personal trainer cert next just to bolt on as it suits my gym head mentality.
Old Jan 5th 2007, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nicstids

What does a financial planner do? Do you get paid for being a trainee one?
I think I might like to do something like that once in Oz in April.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 11:12 pm
Living & Loving in Perth

hoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to behold

Hello,

hi

you can pretty much do anything over here you want, we came over sep last year i was a baker by trade, i got a job as a baker with bakers delight but after four weeks i had had enough, crap hours 1.30 am starts, crap pay, my wife now goes out to work as an executive p.a. much more money than i was getting, i am staying at home with the kids (one at school already, the second will start kindy this feb) and i am retraining to be a teachers asistant, which will fit in with the school hols the pays not great but you dont come here from the money, its the work/life balance. i was always working the weekends in the uk and in 6 years the wife and i only had weekends together when we had holiday, we have just had our 10th weekend together and its great

back to the point you`ll find that most things out here works on a franchise basis like bakers delight, for an initial fee (or you can just join them and they will put you through the basics) they will train you, help you with your own shop and the day to day running you`ll take a wage pay your staff, pay bakers delight a fee, and what ever is left is yours, however i wouldnt recomend it,

but gardeners and handy persons are in short supply and thats worked on a franchise basis aswell,

hope this helps

steve