Card readers

Old Feb 21st 2011, 8:40 am
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold
Default Card readers

Anyone else having issues transfering there own funds across the void to here? We are using NAB to transfer our money from our Natwest account back in the UK, we was told that end that it will work fine via online banking, but today we tried and it has asked us for a card reader, we know what one is but was not made aware of one while setting this up in the UK.
Any advice help please?
Old Feb 21st 2011, 8:59 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Card readers

I wouldn't use online banking to transfer funds between UK/Aus banks.

I'm sure it will cost you much less to use the services of a currency exchange service like OzForex (better rate & lower fees).

I have no idea what a card reader is???
Old Feb 21st 2011, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

All Natwest (and Barclays and Nationwide) customers need a card reader to do pretty much anything online. You should get one if your going to want to do anything online in the future.

Transferring bank to bank isn't a good way of moving your money, as you'll get a rubbish rate, and pay charges. You should use a third party like ozforex, and you will get a MUCH better exchange rate.

You won't be able to transfer any money from your Natwest account online until you've got a card reader though, unless you can phone Natwest and arrange for them to remove the need (not sure if they can though).
Old Feb 21st 2011, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for that we are using a third party, we use money corp. But natwest never actually bothered to tell us that we needed a card reader abroad
So we have had to go the pigeon way and wait two weeks longer for the transaction
Should have stuffed it all up my jumper and said i was expecting when i went through customs
Old Apr 6th 2011, 11:13 pm
Just Joined

byteme is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone here have a barclays card reader?

I'm in Sydney and left mine in the UK
Old Apr 7th 2011, 1:09 am
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by byteme
Does anyone here have a barclays card reader?

I'm in Sydney and left mine in the UK
You should be able to use any card reader. They're all much of a muchness.

Cheers

LG
Old Apr 7th 2011, 9:44 am
Just Joined

mikeholden is an unknown quantity at this point

Slightly O/T from the original question, but we bank with Smile (part of the co-op), and they introduced card readers a couple of years ago. They now seem to have stopped asking for that extra authentication, so I haven't used it in a while. Don't know if this is just Smile, or whether other banks may decide the experiment is over and dump them as well?