British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Car servicing & warranty conditions here? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/car-servicing-warranty-conditions-here-867093/)

astera Oct 26th 2015 9:48 am

Car servicing & warranty conditions here?

I'm currently driving a car that is under Aussie warranty and I'd like to make sure I don't invalidate it by messing up with servicing deadlines.

What's the leeway (if any) when you need to service, say at 10k miles. Do I need to go in before 10k, any time soon after? If after then how much after can I bring it in without invalidating the warranty?

Bix Oct 26th 2015 11:14 am

Re: Car servicing & warranty conditions here?

There's usually a sticker in the top right hand corner of the windscreen (inside) stating when your next service is due.

A mileage and date whichever occurs first.

astera Oct 26th 2015 11:31 am

10k. Due I need to bring it in before or after (and if so, how much "after" is allowed)?

Bix Oct 26th 2015 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by astera (Post 11779519)
10k. Due I need to bring it in before or after (and if so, how much "after" is allowed)?

I've had 4 different brands of new cars in Aus from different dealers and none of them have flinched at the timing of the service whether early, on time or late.

Just had one done 7 weeks "late" with no issue. They are more interested in getting your servicing business than the exact timing of it.

As a general rule though I do try to do the service as close as possible to the recommended time. When the warranty expires I'll suit myself.

stuie83 Oct 27th 2015 9:45 pm

When I had a Holden I was advised against brining it in a little early.

E.g if it needed a service every 10,000km and I took it in when it had 9,500km on the clock they would recommend the next service occurred at 19,500km.

Amazulu Oct 28th 2015 4:51 am

I have a Mitsubishi that has fixed-price servicing costs and I need to be aware of the correct intervals. There is a big leeway on time between services but if I go over then it invalidates the policy

astera Oct 28th 2015 5:42 am

That's the thing, I'm just wondering how much I can go over the 10,000km threshold before a warranty could be invalidated on the grounds of not getting the service done when it should have been.

Beoz Oct 28th 2015 7:25 am

Originally Posted by astera (Post 11781123)
That's the thing, I'm just wondering how much I can go over the 10,000km threshold before a warranty could be invalidated on the grounds of not getting the service done when it should have been.

I would say its down to the servicer. The person you have the contract with.

Mine is with Mazda. They are always ringing me to get it in for a service. I never to the km's before the time. Their priority is making money from the service. The more servicing they can do on your car the more money they make. If you were to take it to a cheaper mechanic they would be doing themselves out of service money.

These things are always negotiable.

BadgeIsBack Oct 31st 2015 12:40 am

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 11781161)
I would say its down to the servicer. The person you have the contract with. Mine is with Mazda. They are always ringing me to get it in for a service. I never to the km's before the time. Their priority is making money from the service. The more servicing they can do on your car the more money they make. If you were to take it to a cheaper mechanic they would be doing themselves out of service money. These things are always negotiable.

If it's down to the dealer getting the income, and maintaining their profit, then apply common sense and take it in as close as possible. A few hundred k probably won't matter, even 1000. But, surely if the dealer can prove that the delay caused an expensive issue then they have some comeback or a position. Once it's out of warranty, do what you like. If service intervals are too long, you might put off the next buyer who might wonder how well you treated the car in general. It's been said that Australian services are too short : in my books even with new modern oils, I'd like to do an oil change every 10k. I once changed my mind on a Volvo as it had 2 oil changes in 50k. Thought it wasn't care enough by the owner.