Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Car servicing & warranty conditions here?

Car servicing & warranty conditions here?

Old Oct 26th 2015, 9:48 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute
Default Car servicing & warranty conditions here?

I'm currently driving a car that is under Aussie warranty and I'd like to make sure I don't invalidate it by messing up with servicing deadlines.

What's the leeway (if any) when you need to service, say at 10k miles. Do I need to go in before 10k, any time soon after? If after then how much after can I bring it in without invalidating the warranty?
Old Oct 26th 2015, 11:14 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car servicing & warranty conditions here?

There's usually a sticker in the top right hand corner of the windscreen (inside) stating when your next service is due.

A mileage and date whichever occurs first.
Old Oct 26th 2015, 11:31 am

astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

10k. Due I need to bring it in before or after (and if so, how much "after" is allowed)?
Old Oct 26th 2015, 12:21 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
10k. Due I need to bring it in before or after (and if so, how much "after" is allowed)?
I've had 4 different brands of new cars in Aus from different dealers and none of them have flinched at the timing of the service whether early, on time or late.

Just had one done 7 weeks "late" with no issue. They are more interested in getting your servicing business than the exact timing of it.

As a general rule though I do try to do the service as close as possible to the recommended time. When the warranty expires I'll suit myself.
Old Oct 27th 2015, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

stuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond repute

When I had a Holden I was advised against brining it in a little early.

E.g if it needed a service every 10,000km and I took it in when it had 9,500km on the clock they would recommend the next service occurred at 19,500km.
Old Oct 28th 2015, 4:51 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I have a Mitsubishi that has fixed-price servicing costs and I need to be aware of the correct intervals. There is a big leeway on time between services but if I go over then it invalidates the policy
Old Oct 28th 2015, 5:42 am

That's the thing, I'm just wondering how much I can go over the 10,000km threshold before a warranty could be invalidated on the grounds of not getting the service done when it should have been.
Old Oct 28th 2015, 7:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
That's the thing, I'm just wondering how much I can go over the 10,000km threshold before a warranty could be invalidated on the grounds of not getting the service done when it should have been.
I would say its down to the servicer. The person you have the contract with.

Mine is with Mazda. They are always ringing me to get it in for a service. I never to the km's before the time. Their priority is making money from the service. The more servicing they can do on your car the more money they make. If you were to take it to a cheaper mechanic they would be doing themselves out of service money.

These things are always negotiable.
Old Oct 31st 2015, 12:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
I would say its down to the servicer. The person you have the contract with. Mine is with Mazda. They are always ringing me to get it in for a service. I never to the km's before the time. Their priority is making money from the service. The more servicing they can do on your car the more money they make. If you were to take it to a cheaper mechanic they would be doing themselves out of service money. These things are always negotiable.
If it's down to the dealer getting the income, and maintaining their profit, then apply common sense and take it in as close as possible. A few hundred k probably won't matter, even 1000. But, surely if the dealer can prove that the delay caused an expensive issue then they have some comeback or a position. Once it's out of warranty, do what you like. If service intervals are too long, you might put off the next buyer who might wonder how well you treated the car in general. It's been said that Australian services are too short : in my books even with new modern oils, I'd like to do an oil change every 10k. I once changed my mind on a Volvo as it had 2 oil changes in 50k. Thought it wasn't care enough by the owner.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Oct 31st 2015 at 12:44 am.