Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Car seats - help with visitors!

Car seats - help with visitors!

Old Jan 4th 2006, 3:01 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Car seats - help with visitors!

We've got some visitors next week from the UK and they're bringing their one yr old son. From some vague memory I think there's a law about car seats in Australia - the way they're fitted and installed. Does anyone know?

Thanks,

Paul.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 3:10 am

gedge has disabled reputation
Default Re: Car seats - help with visitors!

Originally Posted by diddy
We've got some visitors next week from the UK and they're bringing their one yr old son. From some vague memory I think there's a law about car seats in Australia - the way they're fitted and installed. Does anyone know?

Thanks,

Paul.
We had the same problem with family visiting.
Went to a local place that hires baby equipment (strollers, high chairs, travel cots, the lot) and they hired us a child seat. Worth a thought to see if you've a place locally.
Try The Bub Hub for more info and hire services in your area...
http://www.bubhub.com.au/infocarseats.shtml
http://www.bubhub.com.au/serviceshireqld.shtml
Old Jan 4th 2006, 3:12 am

Forgot to add, I've fitted a few seats since being in Oz.
The shops and hire places tell you that anyone can fit them, or that they can do it for a small fee.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 3:16 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedge
Forgot to add, I've fitted a few seats since being in Oz.
The shops and hire places tell you that anyone can fit them, or that they can do it for a small fee.
Thanks. That's the bit I wasn't sure about. For some reason I thought there was a law here saying someone qualified has to fit it.

Paul.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 3:23 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Paul, AFAIK the UK ones arent approved to use here in Oz.

If you want to borrow one I have one here that we let our Destination Brisbane tenants use which isn't needed until the beginning of Feb. You would just need to come & pick it up.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 3:24 am

Thanks. That's the bit I wasn't sure about. For some reason I thought there was a law here saying someone qualified has to fit it.

Paul.
No worries Paul.
Never gave it much thought before now, just believed the sales folk, so thought I'd check the rta (note this is NSW, but I'd think same would apply where you are).
Choosing a restraint
Old Jan 4th 2006, 3:29 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Hi Paul, AFAIK the UK ones arent approved to use here in Oz.

If you want to borrow one I have one here that we let our Destination Brisbane tenants use which isn't needed until the beginning of Feb. You would just need to come & pick it up.

Thanks alot Mrs D, but I should be OK to borrow them from work.

The offer is really appreciated though.

The worrying thing is I've just realised from reading about this that my kids should still be in car seats, so I may just buy them.

Paul.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 3:32 am
ABCDiamond

Paul.
I think the confusion may be caused by the regulations relating to the fitting of the anchorage points, rather than the actual seat itself.

"Fitters currently need to obtain a certificate from the Vehicle Modification Branch before being approved as fitters for the Department of Transport. However most of this work is in the fitting and installing of anchorage points rather than overall fitting and checking." Kidsafe

Old Jan 4th 2006, 3:35 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I think the confusion may be caused by the regulations relating to the fitting of the anchorage points, rather than the actual seat itself.

"Fitters currently need to obtain a certificate from the Vehicle Modification Branch before being approved as fitters for the Department of Transport. However most of this work is in the fitting and installing of anchorage points rather than overall fitting and checking." Kidsafe
Jeepers! I thought you could just hook them to any point you could find, bumper, spare wheel, tool box, dog's collar
Old Jan 4th 2006, 3:46 am
ABCDiamond

Jeepers! I thought you could just hook them to any point you could find, bumper, spare wheel, tool box, dog's collar
When we got here, it actually came as quite a surprise that they had to be fixed to anything.
We were used to it just being held in place by the seat belt.

Also, in QLD, a child over 14kg is allowed to sit in the front seat, even with an air bag fitted. I've been telling my daughter that she wasn't allowed to, by law, for ages

Old Jan 4th 2006, 3:52 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

Ta ABC. Looks like I can't use the roof rack anymore.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 3:55 am

lol - get yerself a ute, plenty of room for the whole family!
Old Jan 4th 2006, 3:56 am
ABCDiamond

I've not seen anything that specifically says you can't

Old Jan 4th 2006, 4:05 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

lol - get yerself a ute, plenty of room for the whole family!
But, where would I put the beer.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 4:08 am

But, where would I put the beer.
in the front with you and the air conditioning - sheesh do I have to explain everything???