Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Car Seats for the flight? Confused?

Car Seats for the flight? Confused?

Old Jul 23rd 2008, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Seats for the flight? Confused?

ta for the info

where did you get it from as all the places appear to be in the US?
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 3:17 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bridie
ta for the info

where did you get it from as all the places appear to be in the US?
My mother in law has ordered it for me. So I actually won't have it on our way to Canada, but I'll be able to use it on the way back. If she had ordered it a few months ago she could have mailed it to me but we just discovered.

I checked out the FAQ section and it appears you can order it from them but you have to do it with an operator for overseas orders.

http://www.kidsflysafe.com/faq.aspx

Or there's Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/CARES-Airplane...6782964&sr=8-1
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 3:41 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Also found this, but basically it says you can't order directly from the UK.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599...57-421,00.html
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 4:50 am
Forum Regular

tyne is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cazw1405
Hi there,

Can anyone advise me on whether we have to take our car seat for the flight? My youngest will be 22 months old when we travel and as its such a long way we have paid for him to have his own seat even though age wise he is classed as an infant. The Cathay Pacific website is unclear it says:

Car Seat

Personal infant car seat is accepted on board if it complies with the following requirements:

Forward facing
Designed for carrying an infant inclusively between the age of 6 months and 3 years, and weighs 18kgs or less
Must be in operational condition

And then on the baggage allowance page it says the following\:

For passengers who are NOT departing from or transferring through London Heathrow Airport, in addition to the above allowance, you may carry onboard the following items free:
An overcoat or shawl
A small handbag
A briefcase (no more than 4kg or 9lbs in weight)
A notebook or laptop computer (no more than 4kg or 9lbs in weight, including case and accessories)
A small camera or a pair of binoculars
An umbrella / walking stick / crutches

A "forward facing" infant car safety seat for ticketed child (aged between 6 months and 3 years) or infant bassinet or cot (that can fit on fold down shelves and can be properly secured)

]Infant food and nappies (for consumption in flight)
An infant collapsible pushchair (if cabin stowage is available)

We are flying from Heathrow?? So does this mean we can't take it? and if so where does the baby sit just in a seat? Just really confused?

Can anyone who has travelled with a similar age baby please let me know what they did?

Thanks in advance!

Caz x
We flew with Emirates in April to Oz with our boy, who was 22 months old.

After a lot of research i found that most airlines let you take a car seat on the flight, so long as it is designed to be used with a lap belt.

We bought this one http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...age+Child+Seat
especially for the flight. Our son is pretty active and i knew he would not sit on the aircraft seat with jusat a lap belt. It was well worth the outlay for us. He was great on the flight. Sat happily watching the tv screen infront of him or playing with his toys. He also slept at least half the flight. The only downside for us was having to carry the seat around with us.

Also, from a safety point of view, your child will be far safer strapped into a car seat if you hit some bad turbulance on the flight. I read a few articles about injuries and deaths of kids on flights caused by not being properly restrained. Simply was not prepared to take that risk.

We are moving to Oz for good in 6 months and will definately use it again!

Last edited by tyne; Jul 23rd 2008 at 4:58 am.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

Shanaghy is just really niceShanaghy is just really niceShanaghy is just really niceShanaghy is just really niceShanaghy is just really niceShanaghy is just really niceShanaghy is just really niceShanaghy is just really niceShanaghy is just really nice

Originally Posted by comet555
My mother in law has ordered it for me. So I actually won't have it on our way to Canada, but I'll be able to use it on the way back. If she had ordered it a few months ago she could have mailed it to me but we just discovered.

I checked out the FAQ section and it appears you can order it from them but you have to do it with an operator for overseas orders.

http://www.kidsflysafe.com/faq.aspx

Or there's Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/CARES-Airplane...6782964&sr=8-1
Hi Comet 555
Thanks for the info on the restraint,we just bought one on EBAY USA from a seller who seams to ship worldwide we paid in total inc shipping $88.00US
Cheers
Old Aug 5th 2008, 6:59 am
Jelly-Belly, tbh

FluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of light

I did the flight 4 weeks ago, on my own, straight through, with a 22 month old. There is no way I would have maintained my sanity if he hadn't been secure in that seat! Plus it was more comfortable for him as there was enough room between seats to slide him into the sleep position when he dozed off. I also invested in one of these http://www.gogobabyz.com/products/gogo_kids.html so that I didn't have to juggle a buggy as well - it also came in handy when my delayed flight only gave me 20 minutes to get from one end of Kuala Lumpar airport to the other before my connecting flight closed its boarding! With him strapped in I could leg it! I'd been really anxious about the flight before I went but I needn't have worried as really, he was as good as gold. That being said, I know that without the car seat and the travelmate it would have been a nightmare for me. As for the UK/Oz compliance thing, we just used the UK seat until we could get to a baby store to get an Oz seat. The main difference being that Oz seats have an additional strap to them which fixes to a bolt attached to the body of the vehicle. We've kept our UK seat incase we have to go back for any unforseen reason, short-term or otherwise, with this kid or the next. Good luck!
Old Aug 5th 2008, 7:14 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
I know this thread is a bit old, but I just discovered an alternative to a car seat. It's called the Cares Restraint. It's not a car seat, but it's a way to buckle them in similar to a car seat in the plane seat.

http://www.kidsflysafe.com/

I haven't used it yet, but we'll be using it on our trip to Canada next week. Our son will be 3 weeks shy of his second birthday and we aren't bringing a car seat because we've already got car seats lined up with relatives once we get to Canada. So bringing it on the plane is pointless for us aside from comfort.

My son is very busy and does not like to sit still for any length of time. So we're hoping the restrain will keep him in his seat better, and will allow him to sleep if he's not able to move around much. That's the theory anyway! Plus, we really don't want to be dragging the car seat around to and from the airport.

Something else to look into if you're not interested in bringing the car seat aboard.
Presumably you have to explain to the person sitting in the seat behind to leave the strap well alone and not let other little fingers play with it
Old Aug 5th 2008, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

moving2oz is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by FluffieFaerie
I did the flight 4 weeks ago, on my own, straight through, with a 22 month old. There is no way I would have maintained my sanity if he hadn't been secure in that seat! Plus it was more comfortable for him as there was enough room between seats to slide him into the sleep position when he dozed off. I also invested in one of these http://www.gogobabyz.com/products/gogo_kids.html so that I didn't have to juggle a buggy as well - it also came in handy when my delayed flight only gave me 20 minutes to get from one end of Kuala Lumpar airport to the other before my connecting flight closed its boarding! With him strapped in I could leg it! I'd been really anxious about the flight before I went but I needn't have worried as really, he was as good as gold. That being said, I know that without the car seat and the travelmate it would have been a nightmare for me. As for the UK/Oz compliance thing, we just used the UK seat until we could get to a baby store to get an Oz seat. The main difference being that Oz seats have an additional strap to them which fixes to a bolt attached to the body of the vehicle. We've kept our UK seat incase we have to go back for any unforseen reason, short-term or otherwise, with this kid or the next. Good luck!

Hi, I have a little boy just turned 2. I was happy to see this thread as I've been stressing myself out about how we will deal with him on a long flight as he is so active but when in a car seat is really calm. After a little research I found the Go Go Kidz TravelMate. It looks amazing but seems you can only buy it in US.
Does anyone know where in Uk can get it, or if any US companys send to UK. I did find it on ebay but potage was just as much as the item.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

Helen Randle is an unknown quantity at this point

Why can't you use UK car seats in Oz???
Old Aug 5th 2008, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

Shanaghy is just really niceShanaghy is just really niceShanaghy is just really niceShanaghy is just really niceShanaghy is just really niceShanaghy is just really niceShanaghy is just really niceShanaghy is just really niceShanaghy is just really nice

Originally Posted by Helen Randle
Why can't you use UK car seats in Oz???
Hi Helen
they don't meet aussie safety standards
Old Aug 5th 2008, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

so are they illegal, cos I know they are safe, they are fab cool Recaro ones with speakers for movies when travelling, my boys will be gutted to lose them!
Old Aug 5th 2008, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

They are illegal we have to get rid of ours also
Old Aug 5th 2008, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Helen Randle
so are they illegal, cos I know they are safe, they are fab cool Recaro ones with speakers for movies when travelling, my boys will be gutted to lose them!
Illegal I'm afraid. Should you be involved in an accident your insurance will be void.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

Bummer!! Ok thank you everyone, I was wondering about transporting them so I guess that's one thing less to organise!
Old Aug 6th 2008, 1:14 am
Jelly-Belly, tbh

FluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by moving2oz
Hi, I have a little boy just turned 2. I was happy to see this thread as I've been stressing myself out about how we will deal with him on a long flight as he is so active but when in a car seat is really calm. After a little research I found the Go Go Kidz TravelMate. It looks amazing but seems you can only buy it in US.
Does anyone know where in Uk can get it, or if any US companys send to UK. I did find it on ebay but potage was just as much as the item.
I was very lucky, I found one on ebay in the UK that someone had brought back with them from the States. If you've got the time to keep an eye out then do that or post up a Want It Now on ebay... you might be lucky.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.