Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Car Seats on Aeroplanes??

Car Seats on Aeroplanes??

Old Sep 4th 2005, 11:15 am
An Official Visa Holder

toon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Car Seats on Aeroplanes??

Someone said to me that some airlines let you use your car seat on the aeroplane seat for little ones for short and long haul flights, just wondering if anyone knows if you are allowed to do this with airlines going to Australia??

I have a little devil just who has just turned 2 and we are going over to Adellaide in a few months for rekkie trip and I know that he would sleep in his car seat for hours quite happily but having just come back from the family holiday in Menorca him sitting on a "normal" seat is to put it nicely a bloody nightmare!!

Someone also said to me that doctors will provide a sedative for kids on a long haul flight, does anyone know about that at all??
Old Sep 4th 2005, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Ialibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Seats on Aeroplanes??

Originally Posted by toon williams
Someone said to me that some airlines let you use your car seat on the aeroplane seat for little ones for short and long haul flights, just wondering if anyone knows if you are allowed to do this with airlines going to Australia??

I have a little devil just who has just turned 2 and we are going over to Adellaide in a few months for rekkie trip and I know that he would sleep in his car seat for hours quite happily but having just come back from the family holiday in Menorca him sitting on a "normal" seat is to put it nicely a bloody nightmare!!

Someone also said to me that doctors will provide a sedative for kids on a long haul flight, does anyone know about that at all??
A favourite in years gone by has been a tablespoon of Tia Maria in a bottle of milk. It sure as hell hasn't affected those little monsters who were dosed up.

Don't be like my former Sister in Law though, she was told that a tablespoon of brandy did the same so she tried to feed it to her toddler - straight!

But then she was also the one who did Teacher Training and declared that there was absolutely no difference between baby girls and baby boys. Until her second child arrived, only this one was a girl. Man, did reality set in fast :-)
Old Sep 4th 2005, 11:41 am

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

Most of the airlines will have basinets at the bulkhead seats, kind of a fold down collapsable cot but may be a bit small for a 2 year old and some will have varying age limits and weight limits for them. Check when you book with the airline and ask them for bulkhead rows anyway, at least let them know you have children and see what they will do for you.

Loads of info on the worldwidewait: Google Search
Old Sep 4th 2005, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

galba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud of

Yes - you can use car seats on an aeroplane. Phone up the airline to check that your type of car seat will fit. It's a bit if a hassle carrying it around at the airports but worth it for the flight. Good luck.

Galba
Old Sep 4th 2005, 11:53 am
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

We used our car seat to Oz. Singapore Airlines gave us maximum measurements for width and depth and our seat just fitted. Although it was a bit of a marathon carrying it into and out of the airport, it was worth it for the peace during the flight. Our daughter was well used to sleeping in it and just sitting in it, so made far less fuss than I'm sure she would have if she'd just been in a normal seat.

It was a nightmare tho' carrying into the airports, although trolleys came in handy. When you're already carrying maximum luggage - it is a pain. We left it in left luggage in Singapore where we stopped for a few days, so that eased the burden somewhat.

Good luck!
Old Sep 4th 2005, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

Take your car seat though obviously you have to pay for an extra seat. As far as medicine goes, Phenergan and Medised are the most popular. Our little boy was 17 months when we came over and he slept 10 of the 11 1/5 hour flight to Singapore.

Good luck you'll be fine.
Old Sep 4th 2005, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

ginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I was a flight attendant and up until I worked a few years ago the very strict rules were that the car seat can in no way overlap the airline seat as it would be classed as an obstruction, even by centimietre. When we took our car seat out to N.Z it was too big and is was taken away and put in the hold but it is always worth a try.

Hope that helps
Old Sep 4th 2005, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ginaf
Hi, I was a flight attendant and up until I worked a few years ago the very strict rules were that the car seat can in no way overlap the airline seat as it would be classed as an obstruction, even by centimietre. When we took our car seat out to N.Z it was too big and is was taken away and put in the hold but it is always worth a try.

Hope that helps
Now you have to comply with British Safety Standards (ex-UK) and they are strict about the size. However, if you have a new-ish car seat you should be fine.
Old Sep 4th 2005, 6:16 pm
An Official Visa Holder

toon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone that is a great help, will speak to airline when we book tickets about it in more detail.

And the medicine is already in my cupboard ha ha so will stock up on that I think!!!

Thanks again
Old Sep 4th 2005, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was Kent, UK...now Pacific Pines Gold Coast and loving it
sonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud of

Thanks everyone that is a great help, will speak to airline when we book tickets about it in more detail.

And the medicine is already in my cupboard ha ha so will stock up on that I think!!!

Thanks again
Can you buy the medised over the counter....we are only going as far as LA on Friday but that's still 11 hours with a 13 month old....dreading it.

Cheers

Judith
Old Sep 4th 2005, 7:52 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
Take your car seat though obviously you have to pay for an extra seat. As far as medicine goes, Phenergan and Medised are the most popular. Our little boy was 17 months when we came over and he slept 10 of the 11 1/5 hour flight to Singapore.

Good luck you'll be fine.
Hi,

Just wanted to let anyone thinking of using the above 'medications' know that there is a small chance that they will not work as planned (1-2%) and therefore either have the opposite effect of keeping the child very alert (as they are basically allergic to the drug and therefore their body keeps them awake to fight it) or in a drowsy wingey/moaning state.

I know this since my eldest daughter, aged 5, falls into the first category (eventually found out via the 'nighttime' cough medicines containing phenergan which kept her awake for hours) and my now adult sister who fell into the second category as a child (my mother had a very stressful flight once with a 7 & a 2 year old by herself!)

Needless to say, we will be opting for the lots of new toys/activities and edible goodies for our 29 1/2 hour trip to NZ this Xmas with our 2 little ones.

So the reason for letting you know this is I strongly recommend you test these medicines on your children before the flight if there is even a small chance that you may use them.
Old Sep 4th 2005, 10:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

nurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant future

Have to say medised does nothing for my two, but phenergan works wonders for all the family!

Lindsey