Car Project

Old Feb 15th 2013, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Car Project

Anybody thrown a modern v12 in a classic jag before?

Not even sure if the bay could support it but thinking a twin turbo V12 BMW engine in a XJ8, with complete new running gear.
Old Feb 15th 2013, 10:14 am
Banned

pomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Car Project

Originally Posted by RedDragon2008

Not even sure if the bay could support it but thinking a twin turbo V12 BMW engine in a XJ8, with complete new running gear.
Sounds feasible, you would need a structural engineer to pass it for australian rego but I'm sure any decent custom shop or motor engineering workshop could advise.

As you said running gear would have to be up to the task too, or the dif and drive shaft could explode in protest

If you do go through with it keep us updated and post pics.
Old Feb 15th 2013, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pomikev
Sounds feasible, you would need a structural engineer to pass it for australian rego but I'm sure any decent custom shop or motor engineering workshop could advise.

As you said running gear would have to be up to the task too, or the dif and drive shaft could explode in protest

If you do go through with it keep us updated and post pics.
I dont drink (much), dont smoke, dont womanise and so need something to do outside work.

So yes would keep posting pics if I get through a feasbility stage.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 4:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Bibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud of

Most clasic jags would ahve had at least a I6 in them, and a v12 isn't much longer.

XJS's would have both engines (I6 and V12) for starters.

Just be wary of the width as the top of the V can get close to the suspension mounts, and the exhaust manifold hitting things like the steering column.

I've had a mate stick a Lexus V8 in a mk2 Toyota Supra (I6 to V8), and another mate is adding a Lexus V8 to a Hilux Surf (I4 to V8).

I looked at V8 in an S2000, when i blew mine up. But the extras were too costly (would have needed the entire drive train swapping).
Old Feb 18th 2013, 9:37 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedDragon2008

I wouldnt waste my money on a project to customise in this way, the end result would be worthless financially, better off buying something already done, much cheaper. Or restore a classic to former glory.