Reload this Page >

Car Insurance Question: Queensland

Car Insurance Question: Queensland

Old Feb 6th 2012, 7:13 pm
Just Joined

Dean25800 is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Car Insurance Question: Queensland

Hi,

I'm emigrating to Queensland soon and had a question regarding Car Insurance.

How does it work exactly? Is it the same as it is here in the UK? Or, is it, from what I heard, that you simply insure the car itself and anyone can drive it with the owner's permission - instead of having 3 separate insurance policies for 3 drivers.

Thanks
Old Feb 6th 2012, 7:51 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Insurance Question: Queensland

Originally Posted by Dean25800
Hi,

I'm emigrating to Queensland soon and had a question regarding Car Insurance.

How does it work exactly? Is it the same as it is here in the UK? Or, is it, from what I heard, that you simply insure the car itself and anyone can drive it with the owner's permission - instead of having 3 separate insurance policies for 3 drivers.

Thanks

That depends on the terms of your policy....no different to anywhere else
Old Feb 6th 2012, 7:56 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

When a car is registered it is automatically insured for 3rd party INJURY cover which DOES NOT cover any damage to vehicles or property. You have to purchase insurance to cover the car separately exactly as in the UK. So while it is legal for anyone to drive the vehicle they are only covered for injury to someone injured in a crash.
Old Feb 6th 2012, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

Dean25800 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chris955
When a car is registered it is automatically insured for 3rd party INJURY cover which DOES NOT cover any damage to vehicles or property. You have to purchase insurance to cover the car separately exactly as in the UK. So while it is legal for anyone to drive the vehicle they are only covered for injury to someone injured in a crash.
So I basically just insure the vehicle then anyone can drive it and be covered by the insurance?
Old Feb 6th 2012, 8:29 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dean25800
So I basically just insure the vehicle then anyone can drive it and be covered by the insurance?
Who can drive depends on the terms of your policy.

It is no different to any policy anywhere.

If you specify and pay for any driver then it will be any driver.
Old Feb 6th 2012, 8:43 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I think we are talking about 2 different things, Grayling once registration and CTP is paid then anyone can drive the car legally and be insured for INJURY only. To cover the car for damage then separate insurance needs to be taken out exactly as in the UK. Some people do just rely on the CTP without having property damage insurance which is a huge risk if you hit a Ferrari for instance. It is legal but definitely not advised. You have to specify who you want to drive the car on your normal property insurance.

Last edited by chris955; Feb 6th 2012 at 8:45 pm.
Old Feb 6th 2012, 8:49 pm
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by chris955
I think we are talking about 2 different things, Grayling once registration and CTP is paid then anyone can drive the car legally and be insured for INJURY only. To cover the car for damage then separate insurance needs to be taken out exactly as in the UK. Some people do just rely on the CTP without having property damage insurance which is a huge risk if you hit a Ferrari for instance. It is legal but definitely not advised. You have to specify who you want to drive the car on your normal property insurance.
I know...but he is asking about insurance....any policy will have conditions.

Yes...anyone can drive on the third party injury cover but that would not be very wise.
Old Feb 6th 2012, 8:54 pm
Banned

I think the confusion comes about because he was told that with the insurance we have combined with our registration anyone can drive the car but yes it is unwise to say the least. Apparently quite a high % assume the CTP component actually covers property damage which is a worry.