Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Car Insurance, how does it work in Oz??

Wikiposts

Car Insurance, how does it work in Oz??

Old Jun 13th 2005, 12:10 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Car Insurance, how does it work in Oz??

My hubby found that the car insurance here is so much cheaper than in N.Ireland that he had no hesitation in going fully comp. He has a clear record with driving and insurance so far, so they have given him cheap cover for life, even if he does make a claim, which I thought was pretty good.

Katie
Old Jun 13th 2005, 7:32 pm
Welsh Member!!

GrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really nice

Car insurance does seems a little cheaper in Oz, but it seems to depend on the cars you're looking at! I've had a quote of $1500 on a WRX!!!

.....but then I suppose that was for business cover as well, so it's not really that bad!!??
Old Jun 13th 2005, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by GrantP
Car insurance does seems a little cheaper in Oz, but it seems to depend on the cars you're looking at! I've had a quote of $1500 on a WRX!!!

.....but then I suppose that was for business cover as well, so it's not really that bad!!??

You will have to forgive me I am not big into cars. I take it a WRX is a sporty number? My hubby paid $417 for his insurance, that is with Aami for a Ford Lazer.
Old Jun 13th 2005, 9:26 pm
Welsh Member!!

GrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really nice

Originally Posted by KatieStar
You will have to forgive me I am not big into cars. I take it a WRX is a sporty number? My hubby paid $417 for his insurance, that is with Aami for a Ford Lazer.
Yeah, a WRX is a subaru Impreza sports car, so I expected a big quote! I think I'm still looking at the figures and thinking they're big!! It'll take a while for me to adjust to Aussie $'s!! When I've worked it out, $1500 at 2.4 to the £ is around is £625, and I would expect to pay more than that for the same policy (including business cover) in the UK!!
I've also got some quotes for Jacqui on a Toyota corolla, and they've been coming out very reasonable in the region of $400!!
Old Jun 14th 2005, 10:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Rochdale, then Toronto, then Preston now Tampa, Florida.
wildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to all

Yeah, a WRX is a subaru Impreza sports car, so I expected a big quote! I think I'm still looking at the figures and thinking they're big!! It'll take a while for me to adjust to Aussie $'s!! When I've worked it out, $1500 at 2.4 to the £ is around is £625, and I would expect to pay more than that for the same policy (including business cover) in the UK!!
I've also got some quotes for Jacqui on a Toyota corolla, and they've been coming out very reasonable in the region of $400!!

You have just made my day, I have the aforementioned vehicle and was hoping to buy another over there, I'm 38 have a clean licence (honestly 331bhp and clean licence) full no claims bonus and my current insurance is £850 fully comp so that deal looks great.
Old Jun 14th 2005, 11:45 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by walla1
yes it does cover the third party car but not your own...
No it dont.

Unless you take out Third Party insurance if your car is a bomb and not worth insuring
Old Jun 14th 2005, 7:14 pm
Welsh Member!!

Originally Posted by wildmark
You have just made my day, I have the aforementioned vehicle and was hoping to buy another over there, I'm 38 have a clean licence (honestly 331bhp and clean licence) full no claims bonus and my current insurance is £850 fully comp so that deal looks great.
...and my quote included business cover, so it should be cheaper again if you don't need that!! ....although if yours is 331bhp it can't be standard?? My quote was for a 2003 factory standard 4dr WRX! ....oh, and by the way, I'm 28 with full no claims!

What do you think of your scooby?? ....I might have to do a fair bit of running about with my job in Oz, and I was wondering if it'll be comfortable enough?? I used to have a Civic Type R, and although I loved the car, the seats and the suspension were rock hard, so I'm not sure I'd choose one of those for the same job I'm going to in Oz!!?? ....you can't seem to get them over there anyway!!?? ...and most of the Honda's seem expensive, where as the Suabru's seem slightly cheaper than here!!??

Can anyone suggest the type of car I should be looking at???
Old Jun 14th 2005, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

wildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to all

...and my quote included business cover, so it should be cheaper again if you don't need that!! ....although if yours is 331bhp it can't be standard?? My quote was for a 2003 factory standard 4dr WRX! ....oh, and by the way, I'm 28 with full no claims!

What do you think of your scooby?? ....I might have to do a fair bit of running about with my job in Oz, and I was wondering if it'll be comfortable enough?? I used to have a Civic Type R, and although I loved the car, the seats and the suspension were rock hard, so I'm not sure I'd choose one of those for the same job I'm going to in Oz!!?? ....you can't seem to get them over there anyway!!?? ...and most of the Honda's seem expensive, where as the Suabru's seem slightly cheaper than here!!??

Can anyone suggest the type of car I should be looking at???
Your right it's far from std..MY03 WRX, plus my wifes pocket rocket, pic's below.

I was hoping to get a 12 month old Sti they seem very reasonable, but like the look of the Holden HSV 5.7ltr wow! :scared: might give that a go, we'll see how I feel when we get over there, I plan of renting a couple of cars for a couple of months.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails Car Insurance, how does it work in Oz??-lower.jpg   Car Insurance, how does it work in Oz??-picture-095.jpg   Car Insurance, how does it work in Oz??-picture-071.jpg  

Last edited by wildmark; Jun 14th 2005 at 10:04 pm.
Old Jun 14th 2005, 10:21 pm
Welsh Member!!

Nice cars! ....the WRX is exactly what I'm thinking of getting in Oz!

...I spoke to a dealer while I was there on holiday, and he put me off an Sti, as he pretty much said they're toys! Very fast, and loads of fun, but not easy to live with as an everyday car especially if you're doing a few miles in it! (or k's as he put it!)

I had a good look at some of the HSV's too! ...very nice, but I recon they'd cost me more to run that my milage allowance, so I might have to give them a miss!! If I was going to go for something like that then I'd seriously consider a Ford Falcon XR6 Turbo!!

What sort of miles to the gallon do you get out of your WRX?? ....and how hard do you drive it??
Old Jun 15th 2005, 3:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Nice cars! ....the WRX is exactly what I'm thinking of getting in Oz!

...I spoke to a dealer while I was there on holiday, and he put me off an Sti, as he pretty much said they're toys! Very fast, and loads of fun, but not easy to live with as an everyday car especially if you're doing a few miles in it! (or k's as he put it!)

I had a good look at some of the HSV's too! ...very nice, but I recon they'd cost me more to run that my milage allowance, so I might have to give them a miss!! If I was going to go for something like that then I'd seriously consider a Ford Falcon XR6 Turbo!!

What sort of miles to the gallon do you get out of your WRX?? ....and how hard do you drive it??
My Wrx is way past std STi spec, the suspension has been changed; poly bushes, uprated antilift kit, uprated roll bars, front and rear strut braces, fast road geometry settings, the Sti's rock hard suspension is soft compared to this but it handles like a race car, which is what I wanted.

I wont be doing millions of miles so the HSV's will be perfect.

By the way the std WRx give mid 20's with moderate stick, not great but if you want great Mpg you will have to buy a diesel.

What the price of a bog std new Wrx over there?

Mark
Old Jun 15th 2005, 4:04 am
Welsh Member!!

Originally Posted by wildmark
My Wrx is way past std STi spec, the suspension has been changed; poly bushes, uprated antilift kit, uprated roll bars, front and rear strut braces, fast road geometry settings, the Sti's rock hard suspension is soft compared to this but it handles like a race car, which is what I wanted.

I wont be doing millions of miles so the HSV's will be perfect.

By the way the std WRx give mid 20's with moderate stick, not great but if you want great Mpg you will have to buy a diesel.

What the price of a bog std new Wrx over there?

Mark
Sounds like you've spent a fortune on that!!!

I expected mid 20's! ...will have to do some sums to see if it's going to be too expensive to run on the mileage allowance!!?? ...I don't want to buy a diesel in Oz if I can help it!! ...I've had enough of the ones I've had in the past!!
The reason I fancy a WRX is that most of the cars in Oz have V6's, so they're probably running similar 20's mpg figures??? ....not sure what the HSV's do??

I've not really really looked into the price of a new Standard WRX, but I've been told you can get them for around $44,000 which works out around £18,400! That's a touch cheaper than here isn't it??
I've been looking at my03's same as yours, and they seem to range from $30,000 - $36,000 (£12,500 - £15,000) depending on mileage!! It's a little on the high side of our budget, so I have a feeling I may have to go for something a little cheaper once we're settled, but I don't like the Bug-eyed model so much!

How do the UK WRX prices compare??

I'm wondering which other cars I should consider???