Reload this Page >

Car hire.....Perth

Car hire.....Perth

Old Jul 21st 2011, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

HayleyDamerell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car hire.....Perth

Hi all.

We are going to hire a car to meet us from Perth airport in november. However we have 2 children, one will be 4 and the other 2.

What are the regulations in Perth for car seats?
Do the hire companies also hire car seats?
Can the 4 year old go on a booster seat?
What are the cheapest car hire company to use for 3 weeks?

Any advice/help greatly appreciated. Thanks girls and guys
Old Jul 21st 2011, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car hire.....Perth

Not personally sure of the current recommendations however here's some WEstern Australian info on regulation non car seats for children/kids http://www.kidsafewa.com.au/childcarrestraints.html or http://www.roadwise.asn.au/ccr

Yes car companies hire baby/child seats. You need to pre-book and most of them I presume charge extra.

We always use Sunset Rent A Car (contact Carl) (who we have also booked for this December) who are based in Scarborough. They will drive the car to the airport free of charge.

I am not affiliated with them in any way, and this is my own opinion. The three times we've hired with them have gone without a hitch. We always take the extra insurance to lower it to $0 damage waiver. Had to swap cars once as someone backed into us at the shopping centre and drove off (nice) and left a huge dent. No dramas to take the car back, and as we had taken out the excess waiver didn't cost us a cent.

Also this is purely my own opinion, however, I wouldn't ever personally use Bayswater Car rental - in any of their rental places. Do a google search on reviews for this company - we also had one very bad experience with them. I personally would stay away.

Have a great trip!
Jill

Last edited by Still Game; Jul 21st 2011 at 8:47 pm.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 5:51 am
Forum Regular

Hi there.
Lovely thanks for the info. Will def keep that in mind regarding both companies! Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Originally Posted by OneSmallVoice
Not personally sure of the current recommendations however here's some WEstern Australian info on regulation non car seats for children/kids http://www.kidsafewa.com.au/childcarrestraints.html or http://www.roadwise.asn.au/ccr

Yes car companies hire baby/child seats. You need to pre-book and most of them I presume charge extra.

We always use Sunset Rent A Car (contact Carl) (who we have also booked for this December) who are based in Scarborough. They will drive the car to the airport free of charge.

I am not affiliated with them in any way, and this is my own opinion. The three times we've hired with them have gone without a hitch. We always take the extra insurance to lower it to $0 damage waiver. Had to swap cars once as someone backed into us at the shopping centre and drove off (nice) and left a huge dent. No dramas to take the car back, and as we had taken out the excess waiver didn't cost us a cent.

Also this is purely my own opinion, however, I wouldn't ever personally use Bayswater Car rental - in any of their rental places. Do a google search on reviews for this company - we also had one very bad experience with them. I personally would stay away.

Have a great trip!
Jill
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 8:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Must admit I used Bayswater car hire a couple of years ago in Perth. Hired it for 2 weeks unlimited mileage and I found it great value no problems.

This was the only time I have used them so cannot claim vast experience, but would happily use them again.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

Thought I should back it up with my experience, but obviously choose who you want to - there are many big names also Budget, Avis etc..

Baywater take $300 as deposit off your card when you hire from them at the start, which is different to other companies who take card details and then only charge you when or if there is an accident/bump/scratch etc..

When we hired we spent a wee bit of time with the rep going around the car and everything was fine. When we returned it a different rep looked at the car for 30 seconds and said there was a small piece of plastic missing from just above the wheel - as in underside from the car. I couldn't see where, my friend couldn't see where however, the rep became very abusive and angry and shouted he didn't have all day to argue with us... we weren't arguing! He then said I have to go deal wtih the other great unwashed now and stormed off.. guess what, we never got that $300 back... we sent a few emails to the manager and rang from the UK a few times but no-one would help us.

Just my experience with them, not a great one.

http://www.productreview.com.au/p/ba...&sort_type=asc

Sunset we've used quite a few times and as mentioned I can only give positive reviews of them, again from experience.

Haven't hired wtih anyone else so can't review anything else either.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 3:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

al150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to behold

We used Mindarie Car Hire when we arrived & couldn't fault them. Extremely helpful & prompt in replying to emails & calls when we were still in the UK & helpful once we arrived.

They delivered the hire car to where we were staying & then collected us & all our luggage from the airport in a people carrier with a trailer on the back & they provided car seats for the kids at no extra charge.

Alison x
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 9:51 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Car hire.....Perth

Originally Posted by HayleyDamerell
Hi all.

We are going to hire a car to meet us from Perth airport in november.
What made me think you were emigrating to Melbourne?

BB
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

It's not really a good idea to pick up the hire car at the airport after a long flight, especially with children. Get a taxi to your hotel and have the car delivered there the following day after you've had a good sleep. You pay for the taxi but you save a day's hire charges.

We wrote off a hire car picked up at an airport once. We rolled the car and ended up a few metres from a cliff edge, unhurt and wiser. It's just not worth the risk and getting a taxi is the fastest way to get out of the airport.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

babysinead is just really nicebabysinead is just really nicebabysinead is just really nicebabysinead is just really nicebabysinead is just really nicebabysinead is just really nicebabysinead is just really nicebabysinead is just really nicebabysinead is just really nice

Originally Posted by lesleys
It's not really a good idea to pick up the hire car at the airport after a long flight, especially with children. Get a taxi to your hotel and have the car delivered there the following day after you've had a good sleep. You pay for the taxi but you save a day's hire charges.

We wrote off a hire car picked up at an airport once. We rolled the car and ended up a few metres from a cliff edge, unhurt and wiser. It's just not worth the risk and getting a taxi is the fastest way to get out of the airport.
I second that. We flew from Heathrow to singapore and had an overnight their because of our 4 year daughter. We then flew from singapore to perth the next day, i can tell you now it would have been dangerous for us to hire a car at the airport especially with 2 little ones in the back, never worth the risk takes a good few days to get over the jet lag.

Are you coming over to visit or emigrate?? could somebody pick you up from the airport.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
What made me think you were emigrating to Melbourne?

BB
Hi there. Yeah we are migrating to Melbourne, we had holiday booked to Perth before we got visa. So going to still go to Perth for a few weeks and the. Onto Melbourne for reccie
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by babysinead
I second that. We flew from Heathrow to singapore and had an overnight their because of our 4 year daughter. We then flew from singapore to perth the next day, i can tell you now it would have been dangerous for us to hire a car at the airport especially with 2 little ones in the back, never worth the risk takes a good few days to get over the jet lag.

Are you coming over to visit or emigrate?? could somebody pick you up from the airport.
I think that is what we are going to do now especially after the flight. We land at 00:30 so going to get taxi to our rental place. Lots of people have said to do so, so think we'd be silly not to go on peoples experiences. Thanks for reply
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lesleys

A few people have given this advice so def going to get a taxi to rental then pick up car next day. We land at stupid o'clock 00:30 so not gonna rake any chances. Thanks for reply
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for your reply. We have heard several bad reports on bayswater so def going to avoid them!!

Can't be doing with all the hassle of a at company......got enough things to worry about so want a rated car company to make life a little easier when we arrive

Originally Posted by OneSmallVoice
Thought I should back it up with my experience, but obviously choose who you want to - there are many big names also Budget, Avis etc..

Baywater take $300 as deposit off your card when you hire from them at the start, which is different to other companies who take card details and then only charge you when or if there is an accident/bump/scratch etc..

When we hired we spent a wee bit of time with the rep going around the car and everything was fine. When we returned it a different rep looked at the car for 30 seconds and said there was a small piece of plastic missing from just above the wheel - as in underside from the car. I couldn't see where, my friend couldn't see where however, the rep became very abusive and angry and shouted he didn't have all day to argue with us... we weren't arguing! He then said I have to go deal wtih the other great unwashed now and stormed off.. guess what, we never got that $300 back... we sent a few emails to the manager and rang from the UK a few times but no-one would help us.

Just my experience with them, not a great one.

http://www.productreview.com.au/p/ba...&sort_type=asc

Sunset we've used quite a few times and as mentioned I can only give positive reviews of them, again from experience.

Haven't hired wtih anyone else so can't review anything else either.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by al150n
We used Mindarie Car Hire when we arrived & couldn't fault them. Extremely helpful & prompt in replying to emails & calls when we were still in the UK & helpful once we arrived.

They delivered the hire car to where we were staying & then collected us & all our luggage from the airport in a people carrier with a trailer on the back & they provided car seats for the kids at no extra charge.

Alison x
Thanks for reply. Will add mindariecarhire to our List of possibilities.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

babysinead is just really nicebabysinead is just really nicebabysinead is just really nicebabysinead is just really nicebabysinead is just really nicebabysinead is just really nicebabysinead is just really nicebabysinead is just really nicebabysinead is just really nice

Originally Posted by HayleyDamerell
A few people have given this advice so def going to get a taxi to rental then pick up car next day. We land at stupid o'clock 00:30 so not gonna rake any chances. Thanks for reply
Sensible move hayley, we only got here 8 weeks ago, we too have a 4 year old that didnt sleep that much on the plane either. We paid around $80.00 for a taxi from the airport up to the northern surburbs and was well worth every penny.
Once you get here Mindarie car hire will deliver a car to your front door for no extra, this is what we did.

Let me know hayley if i can help in anyway PM me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.