Car hire Perth

Old Oct 30th 2003, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

ArthurMoore is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car hire Perth

We are coming to Perth for a fortnight to sus out the place in November and needed a car hire.
Rates seem OK until you ask about excess. Then you find most cars have a $2500 excess if you have an accident and want up to $25 per day to reduce this to around $300. (This is AFTER you have taken out a CDW!).
If you're mad enough to read the small print Holiday Autos charges a CDW plus an Excess charge and then says that this EXCLUDES damage to wheels, tyres, windows, roof, underside, interior, towing charges...
Backpackers were dead cheap if you only wanted to drive up to 100km per day, but they do not do airport pick or drop and are shut at weekends.
We have now gone with Perthrentacar at $565 for 15 days including airport pick up and drop. They have $300 excess unless it is a single car accident (absolutely no one to blame but yourself) when it goes up to $1000. That is a special offer for November - normal rate is another $75 on top of this.
Hope that saves someone else hours of trawling the web, travel agents and reading small print.
Just wanted to say I enjoy everyone's postings.
Art
Old Oct 30th 2003, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

pockygoes will become famous soon enough

Cheers for the info - timing was just right - have just sent them an enquiry so fingers crossed. We are landing on 31/12 and want to hire the car until 14/1 so will wait to see the quote. If everything goes OK will book asap.

Thanks
Old Oct 30th 2003, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nice

Try Ken at City Cars, I have used them the last twice on my visits.

www.citycar.com.au

They do airport pickups and returns, reasonable rates - $300 per week for a Mitsubishi Magna with no extras - not sure about excess - think it was within reason

Peter
Old Oct 30th 2003, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Try and get a travel insurance package that includes car hire excess - this is what I did. Budget care rental wanted $2750 excess or $14/day to bring the excess down to £275 (that was $200 over 2 weeks). I bought a travel insurance policy for Oz instead that cost $140 for 2 people AND included $3000 car excess.

watch out for airport surcharges as weel - most rental companies will slap on 10% airport surcharge - just because you are picking up or dropping off at an airport. Sometimes it might be cheaper just to get a taxi to the nearest non-airport outlet and pick up a car there.
Old Oct 31st 2003, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

ArthurMoore is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
Try and get a travel insurance package that includes car hire excess - this is what I did. Budget care rental wanted $2750 excess or $14/day to bring the excess down to £275 (that was $200 over 2 weeks). I bought a travel insurance policy for Oz instead that cost $140 for 2 people AND included $3000 car excess.

watch out for airport surcharges as weel - most rental companies will slap on 10% airport surcharge - just because you are picking up or dropping off at an airport. Sometimes it might be cheaper just to get a taxi to the nearest non-airport outlet and pick up a car there.
Hi - thanks for the mailing. Who did you go to for travel insurance? Mine is up for renewal at the end of November, so I could possibly change to someone who offers this
Best wishes
Art
Old Oct 31st 2003, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

Hi

I just got a quote from bayswater, toyota corolla, manual with aircon, pick up 01 dec for 15 days $298 fully inclusive with a limited km of 50 per day, or unlimited milage at $508, includes gst and insurance xs is $200.

Only problem being they dont do airport service or open on a sunday, but i can live with that.

Lynn
Old Oct 31st 2003, 8:47 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Arthur
My travel policy was with SureSave (thinks it's www.suresave.com.au) - but it was only a domestic Oz policy, not international. I got it when I went on holiday from Vic to Qld. Not sure if the international travel policies include car excess cover.
HP
Old Oct 31st 2003, 8:55 am
owieb

Originally posted by lynnj

Only problem being they dont do airport service or open on a sunday, but i can live with that.

Lynn
If you pick up from Bayswater Road it will take 15 mins in a taxi and shouldn't cost anymore then $20.

Old Oct 31st 2003, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

Thanks Owieb

but in true jamieson style of never doing anything the easy way we are arriving on a sunday afternoon and they are shut, so we could get a taxi to the house we are staying at then be stuck with no way of getting out for food etc, or we could just cough up the extra for a car from the airport, then of course we have the question of what to do longer term, do we buy something cheap(ish) to tide us over or keep on renting untill we find what we want.

This time next month

Lynn
Old Oct 31st 2003, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

Zebra4 is on a distinguished road

Just beware of Bayswater, they are fine if there are no complications. You usually get what you pay for, and I would be prepared to pay the extra for full coverage and the sake of a professional approach.
Old Oct 31st 2003, 2:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Zebra

What do you mean by full coverage?

Lynn
Old Oct 31st 2003, 3:06 pm
owieb

Originally posted by Zebra4
Just beware of Bayswater, they are fine if there are no complications. You usually get what you pay for, and I would be prepared to pay the extra for full coverage and the sake of a professional approach.
Have you had a bad experience with Bayswater?

I've used them numerous times and hired from them for over 3 months when I first arrived. I've never had any problems and they've always been really professional and helpful.

Old Oct 31st 2003, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

Zebra4 is on a distinguished road

No problems with the Bayswater cars themselves. It is cheap hire. If it's a straightforward hire with one named driver then I'm sure there won't be any problem.

Used them a couple of weeks ago, and there wasn't any paper work involved apart from the credit card. No proof of driving license required and when we had a complication it was dealt with in a totally bizarre manner! Translated loosely into anyone could drive the car but hey, nobody was really insured.