Car Hire in Brisbane - Advice on Insurance

Car Hire in Brisbane - Advice on Insurance

Old Feb 16th 2004, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

Location: From Oxfordshire, to the Out Laws in Bucks, to Cleveland in Brisbane
josiejo1974 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car Hire in Brisbane - Advice on Insurance

Hi

Wonder if anyone can help on this issue.

We're in the process of booking Car Hire for our Hol's in April and have been quoted $1,000 excess if we're to blame for the accident. The car hire company have said that our Travel Insurance policy should cover this. Does anyone know if this is normal?

I think it's the first I've heard of it, as have always opted to pay a one off fee of £20 or so to waive any excess, in the event of an accident.

Back to the small print on the Travel Insurance Documents, I guess.....

Any ideas would be welcome.

Tx Josie
Old Feb 16th 2004, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Hire in Brisbane - Advice on Insurance

Originally posted by josiejo1974
Hi

Wonder if anyone can help on this issue.

We're in the process of booking Car Hire for our Hol's in April and have been quoted $1,000 excess if we're to blame for the accident. The car hire company have said that our Travel Insurance policy should cover this. Does anyone know if this is normal?

I think it's the first I've heard of it, as have always opted to pay a one off fee of £20 or so to waive any excess, in the event of an accident.

Back to the small print on the Travel Insurance Documents, I guess.....

Any ideas would be welcome.

Tx Josie
Hi Josie
I recently bought a travel insurance policy that included $3k car insurance excess. However that was on an Aus domestic travel insurance policy. i rented a car with Budget for 2 weeks when I went to Qld and they quoted $2750 excess, or the option to reduce that to $275 if I paid $14 a day surcharge. (Over 2 weeks this would have been another $200.) The travel insurance only cost $120 in anyway - so I got travel insurance AND reduced car excess for 120 bucks.
Not sure if you could get the same on an international travel policy. My domestic policy was with www.travelsure.com.au
Good luck
Old Feb 16th 2004, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Car Hire in Brisbane - Advice on Insurance

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
Hi Josie
I recently bought a travel insurance policy that included $3k car insurance excess. However that was on an Aus domestic travel insurance policy. i rented a car with Budget for 2 weeks when I went to Qld and they quoted $2750 excess, or the option to reduce that to $275 if I paid $14 a day surcharge. (Over 2 weeks this would have been another $200.) The travel insurance only cost $120 in anyway - so I got travel insurance AND reduced car excess for 120 bucks.
Not sure if you could get the same on an international travel policy. My domestic policy was with www.travelsure.com.au
Good luck

Hi

Thanks a lot for this, so it does sound plausible then. Will have to do a good search on Travel Insurance tonight when I get home.

Thanks a lot

Jo
Old Feb 16th 2004, 5:10 pm
pan
Just Joined

pan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Does international travel insurance cover car rental excess?

Hey Josie

Just bumping this back up as I will be in the same boat come April too. Europcar want about $20 a day. There have got to be some previous car renters on the forum.
Old Feb 16th 2004, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

must be alot of us going for a scout aound at Easter.
Any car info would be good
donna
Old Feb 17th 2004, 1:42 am
Forum Regular

topcat is an unknown quantity at this point

I've rented with Hertz and the excess is payable REGARDLESS of fault... so basically unless you've got 2000 dollars spare you've got to pay for reduction of liability. It was 22 dollars a day with them.

HiddenPaw your policy sounds good. I'll look into it next time I travel.

TC
Old Feb 17th 2004, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by topcat
I've rented with Hertz and the excess is payable REGARDLESS of fault... so basically unless you've got 2000 dollars spare you've got to pay for reduction of liability. It was 22 dollars a day with them.

HiddenPaw your policy sounds good. I'll look into it next time I travel.

TC

Hi

I checked with some insurers last night on the phone and it appears that the policy Hidden Paw had, is only available in Aus, as every insurer said, that your driving insurance will cover this not your travel insurance.

So weighing up the gamble of paying a premium to avoid the excess or just throwing caution to the wind and taking the risk?

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions....

Josie
Old Feb 17th 2004, 9:49 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by josiejo1974

So weighing up the gamble of paying a premium to avoid the excess or just throwing caution to the wind and taking the risk?

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions....

Josie

Josie

I PMed you

Jayr
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 8:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

Hi all
Ive just found what i think to be a reasonable deal on auto europe excess is £420 if aged between 21 ,25 and something like £120 if older
hope this helps
donna
Car hire for airport pickup for 15 days is£365
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 12:38 am
Just Joined

Chris_Max is an unknown quantity at this point

A friend rented a car in the States a while ago and his credit card covered any excess if he used it to pay for the car hire in full, maybe worth a check if your's does.
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 2:47 am
I CU HACKN

keyurlavingia is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Chris_Max
A friend rented a car in the States a while ago and his credit card covered any excess if he used it to pay for the car hire in full, maybe worth a check if your's does.

I know Mastercard covers my rental car insurance for the car ...no liability all over the world except Australia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, and New Zealand.

Here's a link http://www.mastercard.com/cardholder...insurance.html incase you're from the US.

For now, unless I can manage to get another travel insurance policy, I will be paying for insurance when I rent a car in Oz.

American Express Credit Cards also pay for Car rental Insurance, but they do not have the info online. I will call them up and find out tonight and post more info when I get it.

Keyur.

Just checked with AmEx - same terms. Do not provide coverage for the same countries as above.

Last edited by keyurlavingia; Mar 3rd 2004 at 3:21 am.
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

Hi

Barclaycard said they wouldn't cover it.

But weighing it all up we've booked the car through a company called www.rexellent.com.au and it's costing us about £190 for 13 days hire on a middle of the road car. So I guess it all averages out in the end.

Jo
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

bananaman is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

I used insurance4carhire.com to cover the excess when I went to Oz over Xmas.

Think it was about £60, reduced the excess to nothing or very little and was valid for a year.

I found Thrifty via rentnewcars.com.au the best value for car hire.

Bananaman
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by bananaman
Hi All,

I used insurance4carhire.com to cover the excess when I went to Oz over Xmas.

Think it was about £60, reduced the excess to nothing or very little and was valid for a year.

I found Thrifty via rentnewcars.com.au the best value for car hire.

Bananaman
Cheers for that Bananman, will look into it.

Jo