car hire

Old Mar 12th 2002, 11:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

shaun/lor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default car hire

when would it become a better idea to buy a cheap car for a long holiday and get rellys to sell it on our return.
it seems car hire in aus is fairly expensive. or maybe im just looking in the wrong places. im flying into melbourne, staying near geelong and flying out of melbourne. on a 7 week holiday?
any ideas to keep costs down.
shaun and lor
Old Mar 13th 2002, 12:36 pm
Raffi Balmanouk

Default Re: car hire

in article [email protected], shaun/lor at
[email protected] wrote on 3/12/02 9:32 PM:

> when would it become a better idea to buy a cheap car for a long holiday and get
    > rellys to sell it on our return. it seems car hire in aus is fairly expensive. or
    > maybe im just looking in the wrong places. im flying into melbourne, staying near
    > geelong and flying out of melbourne. on a 7 week holiday? any ideas to keep costs
    > down. shaun and lor
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

If you have rellies to store it/market it etc. I'd go for a purchase. The downside to
buying a car is having to dump it at the end but if you're not FORCED to sell...

You should have no drama finding a car with at least two months' rego left on it so
that will be no expense. You will of course have to pay the stamp duty on purchase
which varies from state to state, but if it's a cheap car it won't add up to a
whole lot.

Of course, you always run the risk of something expensive going 'bang' which you
don't have with a rental but at least if you get a rock chip you won't get a $500
bill from Hertz a month after you get home!

Old Mar 15th 2002, 6:37 pm
Ben Scherer

Default Re: car hire

Have you thought about a camper van. I know they are more expensive but not only are
you getting your transport but you dont then have any accomodation to pay for. And
more inportantly no walking round looking for somewhere to stay at 10pm!

Visit my site http://1worldtravel.netfirms.com/auscamper.htm and email me at
[email protected] if you are interested.

I am UK based so if you are intested you can leave your number and I will call you.

Regards

shaun/lor wrote in message <[email protected]>...
    >when would it become a better idea to buy a cheap car for a long holiday and get
    >rellys to sell it on our return. it seems car hire in aus is fairly expensive. or
    >maybe im just looking in the wrong places. im flying into melbourne, staying near
    >geelong and flying out of melbourne. on a 7 week holiday? any ideas to keep costs
    >down. shaun and lor
    >
    >
    >
    >--
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com