Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Car has gone "kaput"

Car has gone "kaput"

Old Sep 14th 2005, 7:01 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down Car has gone "kaput"

Gutted, driving home from collecting some work, just coming up to the roundabout ready to turn onto the M20 when there was a massive bang and screech, car stopped dead, all the warning lights came on and a horrible burning smell!

To cut a long story short the RAC man reckons the cam belt tensioners have gone and it's probably terminal!

Not only am I gutted because I loved my Tigra, such a great fun car to drive, but if it could only have held on for a couple more weeks I would have sold it...

...ah well, got to look on the bright side, if I'd been actually on the motorway I might not have been here to tell the tale!
Old Sep 14th 2005, 7:12 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car has gone "kaput"

Originally Posted by bridiej
Gutted, driving home from collecting some work, just coming up to the roundabout ready to turn onto the M20 when there was a massive bang and screech, car stopped dead, all the warning lights came on and a horrible burning smell!

To cut a long story short the RAC man reckons the cam belt tensioners have gone and it's probably terminal!

Not only am I gutted because I loved my Tigra, such a great fun car to drive, but if it could only have held on for a couple more weeks I would have sold it...

...ah well, got to look on the bright side, if I'd been actually on the motorway I might not have been here to tell the tale!
Sorry to hear your news. On the bright side its one less thing you have to worry about and sell!!
Old Sep 14th 2005, 7:26 pm
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute

Thank goodness for small mercies eh? Like you say, if it had been 10 mins later who knows? Glad you are ok, but what will you do, do you have a second car? or a good friend with one?

I live in a very small village and I would hate to think what would happen if I were suddenly without a car. The bus service to and from here is well, sposmadic to say the least.
Old Sep 14th 2005, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

pako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nice

bridiej that's awful sending you some car healing karma
Old Sep 14th 2005, 7:48 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

you do realise that everything will now go, or break, just before you are ready to leave
Old Sep 14th 2005, 7:49 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Cambelts going are normally major but not terminal. as you could replace the cylinder headf for a couple of hundred nicker, if you know a man who can
Old Sep 14th 2005, 8:01 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

it's the cars way of asking you not to go - it is say 'how can I cope without you? you get RAC man to make diagnostic, and you will get another person to make me better'

hope it is not going to make too big a dent in the wallet
Old Sep 15th 2005, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by walaj
it's the cars way of asking you not to go - it is say 'how can I cope without you? you get RAC man to make diagnostic, and you will get another person to make me better'

hope it is not going to make too big a dent in the wallet
I think you're right, and that everything probably will break down now!

Depending on how much it is depends whether it'll be fixed - only worth about £1500 anyway, and at least it saves me cleaning and polishing it!!! LOL!!!

Malc is going to ask a guy at work whose brother has a car sales garage whether he's got a banger we could borrow for a couple of weeks. We could get away with one more week with a car, so may end up hiring one for a coulpe of days. We are in the sticks with no bus route, so bit of a pain.....

Ah well, knew good luck would be too good to last for long, there's always something ready to bite you on the arse and bring you back to reality, and at least I'm here to tell the tale!
Old Sep 15th 2005, 7:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: To the world you are one person...to one person you may be the world
logan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nice

Sorry to hear that m'dear. My timing belt went whilst I was doing 70mph on the city by-pass in Edinburgh, everything just stopped and I 'cruised' to a halt on the hard shoulder!! Cost a bit, but not terminal. Course, I went into work, and when I told people what had happened, they all pulled a face like a duck's bum, sucking air in through their lips, and said "oh you should've had that checked at 60 000 miles or so".........cheers guys I KNOW THAT NOW!!!
Old Sep 15th 2005, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by logan
Sorry to hear that m'dear. My timing belt went whilst I was doing 70mph on the city by-pass in Edinburgh, everything just stopped and I 'cruised' to a halt on the hard shoulder!! Cost a bit, but not terminal. Course, I went into work, and when I told people what had happened, they all pulled a face like a duck's bum, sucking air in through their lips, and said "oh you should've had that checked at 60 000 miles or so".........cheers guys I KNOW THAT NOW!!!
But that's the annoying thing, I had the cam belt changed Jan 04 at just over 65000 miles...
Old Sep 15th 2005, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

But that's the annoying thing, I had the cam belt changed Jan 04 at just over 65000 miles...
There's Tigra's for ya

No seriously though - check to see if the service schedule specifies that the tensioners are replaced when the cam belt is changed - and if yours were done.

Garages can be b******s. I got my front brake discs replaced at a Peugeot dealer some years ago (back in the days when my car was still new!)....only to be told they needed replacing at the next service 6000 miles later!

The manager of that particular garage moved on to pastures new not long afterwards.
Old Sep 15th 2005, 7:54 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=bridiej]Not only am I gutted because I loved my Tigra, such a great fun car to driveQUOTE]

Are you sure you're not a hairdresser in a former life ?

Three Legs
Old Sep 15th 2005, 8:18 am

[QUOTE=Three Legs]
Not only am I gutted because I loved my Tigra, such a great fun car to driveQUOTE]

Are you sure you're not a hairdresser in a former life ?

Three Legs
Are you sure you're not my husband logging on under a pseudonymn, he is always saying that
Old Sep 15th 2005, 8:38 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

Rumbled ...

Make sure you don't burn my steak tonight ...

[QUOTE=bridiej]
Originally Posted by Three Legs

Are you sure you're not my husband logging on under a pseudonymn, he is always saying that
Old Sep 15th 2005, 11:55 am

It's official, I will never drive my beloved car again...

basically the cam belt melted due to something else breaking and the belt touching something hot. Needs a whole new engine, even second hand you're looking at £1000!!!

So, garage is going to accept the car as payment for the time spent looking at it today as in all honesty I really cant be arsed to sell it spare or repair for a few hundred and have it sitting around.

On the bright side malc's mate may have a Polo I can buy for £200, drive for a couple of weeks then sell to mate's brother for £100, so not all doom and gloom - at least I will be mobile again

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.