Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

car in container

car in container

Old Jul 27th 2005, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

ambermax is a jewel in the roughambermax is a jewel in the roughambermax is a jewel in the roughambermax is a jewel in the rough
Default car in container

hi does anyone know if you can put a car in a container with furniture and ship the lot or is that the expensive way
thanks
Old Jul 27th 2005, 6:18 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: car in container

Originally Posted by ambermax
hi does anyone know if you can put a car in a container with furniture and ship the lot or is that the expensive way
thanks

I think it works out cheaper to ship your car seperately as we did look in to taking my Passat with us, but much as I love her, she just isnt worth the $$$$ we'd have to fork out! There is a company West Country Way whose name escapes me ( It was in the back of Australian News) who quoted £895 plus VAT to ship to Adelaide.

HTH!
Lucy
Old Jul 27th 2005, 7:48 pm
nik
Forum Regular

nik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nice

thanks
When we came back from NZ 4 yrs ago I brought my car back along with all our household goods. I thought they were all shipped in the same container and the company we used were fairly cheap and cheerful (and not too careful!) Unfortunately they neglected to tell us that they were leaving the car in Tilbury docks and as we lived in York at the time and it was 2 days before Christmas - it was a long way to go and get it!!!

I am not sure I would take a car from the UK down under, I only brought mine back as the exchange rate was so bad at the time I couldn't bear the thought of selling my car for peanuts and then exchanging said peanuts for very few £s!!
Old Jul 27th 2005, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

scotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the rough

thanks
We decided to bring our car at the last moment (shipped with White's) for us it simply meant up grading from a 20ft to a 40ft to include the car. Cost wise this worked out by far the cheapest alternative (and you can put stuff in the car).
Our car arrived in as good a condition as we sent it, oh and I will add, after our fears about import tax's etc, having done calculations using Oz import calculations, the final bill was no where near what we expected. (I should mention our car was a three year old Focus). We must have done a pretty good clean up prior to shipping, fully expecting to get a bill for steam cleaning - it didn't come!

Regards Scot
Old Jul 28th 2005, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

ambermax is a jewel in the roughambermax is a jewel in the roughambermax is a jewel in the roughambermax is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by scotvness
We decided to bring our car at the last moment (shipped with White's) for us it simply meant up grading from a 20ft to a 40ft to include the car. Cost wise this worked out by far the cheapest alternative (and you can put stuff in the car).
Our car arrived in as good a condition as we sent it, oh and I will add, after our fears about import tax's etc, having done calculations using Oz import calculations, the final bill was no where near what we expected. (I should mention our car was a three year old Focus). We must have done a pretty good clean up prior to shipping, fully expecting to get a bill for steam cleaning - it didn't come!

Regards Scot
thanks for your replay i brought my wife an mgf in silver for a weeding anniversary present (she has always wanted one)and she can't bear to leave it but after reading this it should cheer her up.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

marie197500 has much to be proud ofmarie197500 has much to be proud ofmarie197500 has much to be proud ofmarie197500 has much to be proud ofmarie197500 has much to be proud ofmarie197500 has much to be proud ofmarie197500 has much to be proud ofmarie197500 has much to be proud ofmarie197500 has much to be proud ofmarie197500 has much to be proud ofmarie197500 has much to be proud of
Question Re: car in container

whats this all about cleaning the car i saw another thread about this????

marie
Old Jul 28th 2005, 9:04 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marie197500
whats this all about cleaning the car i saw another thread about this????

marie
Here something that might help http://www.australiatrade.com.au/Shi...es/Customs.htm ............. mm