Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Car brand and resale value...?

Car brand and resale value...?

Old Feb 13th 2012, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

MAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to all
Default Car brand and resale value...?

Hi All,

I finally have ensured a contract after 4 months searching. I ensured a full cash package instead of a salary sacrifice arrangement for a car, which give me the flexibility to manage my money.

The job is not near home so we are thinking to buy a small car to start. We want a new one so we a re thinking to buy the new Toyota Yaris in a 5 years credit deal.

The question is. Does the brand of the car is an important factor to help in the sale value in the future? or the brand is not that relevant in the australian market?

Any other useful advise / other aspects to consider in acquiring a new car in Australia (Sydney)?

Thanks!!
Old Feb 13th 2012, 7:34 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car brand and resale value...?

Originally Posted by MAR001
Hi All,

I finally have ensured a contract after 4 months searching. I ensured a full cash package instead of a salary sacrifice arrangement for a car, which give me the flexibility to manage my money.

The job is not near home so we are thinking to buy a small car to start. We want a new one so we a re thinking to buy the new Toyota Yaris in a 5 years credit deal.

The question is. Does the brand of the car is an important factor to help in the sale value in the future? or the brand is not that relevant in the australian market?

Any other useful advise / other aspects to consider in acquiring a new car in Australia (Sydney)?

Thanks!!
VW generally have good residuals and they are well priced in Australia. Small car I would go for is the Polo diesel.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a good starting point

http://www.redbook.com.au/
Old Feb 13th 2012, 10:42 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Toyota have an enviable reputation for reliability and have decent resale compared to say Ford or Holden.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 11:14 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

Thanks!!
If you have a long drive, I would seriously consider something second hand and diesel.
You will save the large initial devaluation of news cars, save in fuel and IMO be more comfortable than in a small car, small engined.

Originally Posted by chris955
Toyota have an enviable reputation for reliability and have decent resale compared to say Ford or Holden.
Of late their rep has taken a hammering with safety recalls. Also I wouldn't describe their residuals as great.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

MAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to all

Thanks all,

Few things to point out:

- The ride is from eastern suburbs to north ride (is that too long?).

- My system was scammed few years ago with a pimped VW Golf in the UK, and I am really scared of taking bad decisions with used cars here in Australia.

- The Golf has been in the market since 2009 and It may be a new model in two years which will pull the price down.

- I had the two previous models of Yaris back to my home country and I have nothing to say apart of nice complements about those great little cars.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 11:33 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all,

Few things to point out:

- My system was scammed few years ago with a pimped VW Golf in the UK, and I am really scared of taking bad decisions with used cars here in Australia.

- The Golf has been in the market since 2009 and It may be a new model in two years which will pull the price down.

- I had the two previous models of Yaris back to my home country and I have nothing to say apart of nice complements about those great little cars.
Golf has one of the best residual values in Australia.

Each to their own but I don't like the Yaris. If you want a good low cost small car go for an i30 - preferably diesel.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute

We have an i30 CW diesel. Very happy with it. Drives really well, doesn't use much fuel, and it's that crucial bit bigger than the really small cars when it comes to fitting in flat-pack furniture and kids' crap.

No idea about resale values as it's only a year old and I intend to keep it until it falls apart - hopefully a long way off!
Old Feb 13th 2012, 4:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all,

Few things to point out:

If you like it the car then get one. Don't be scared of second hand though, just buy from a reputable dealer if you are worried. If I had to take 5 year finance to pay off my car, I would be looking for a cheaper car. A one or two year old model might make sense.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 8:43 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

A small car like a Yaris or an i30 is fine if all you want to do is drive around the city - but bear in mind that Australia is a huge country and sooner or later you will (hopefully) want to see other parts of it, in which case a Yaris will seem far to small for trips of 500km-1000km. My wife has a diesel Astra and I wouldn't fancy anything smaller for the long trips we make, which we usually do in my Jeep Cherokee anyway.

My sister-in-law and niece drove a Yaris from the Gold Coast to Darwin and found it most uncomfortable!
Old Feb 13th 2012, 8:47 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I disagree with the idea you need a big car to drive long distances. I am 6'5" and find our Getz very comfortable, I don't hit the roof and I have plenty of legroom. The i30 would be even better. I can't see the point in having a big car for the odd long trip. The i30 would be on my list for sure, great warranty, great reliability and very well made.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 9:28 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Drove a diesel i30 all over the UK this xmas. It was agreat in terms of fuel economy and perfectly comfortable - but the road noise on the motorway was AWFUL. We ended up just turning the stero off, 'cos it couldnt compete with the roar coming from the tires (NOTE - not a noisey engine at all despite being diesel - just not enough acoustic dampening around the cabin.)
Old Feb 13th 2012, 9:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

How about a Honda Jazz? Much bigger than a Yaris, five doors standard (rather than three), bigger boot than a Yaris, almost as economical as a small diesel (I can get it down to 6.5l/100km in city and 5.5 on the freeway), very reliable (we've had two, one in UK one here, no issues at all).
Old Feb 13th 2012, 9:55 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain
Drove a diesel i30 all over the UK this xmas. It was great in terms of fuel economy and perfectly comfortable
I would respectfully suggest that driving around the UK, where it is virtually impossible to drive more than 30 miles (50km) without coming to some form of civilisation, is very different to a long trip in Australia where you can go for hundreds of kilometres and never see another soul.

Take it from me, there is a large difference in comfort level between doing a long trip in a car which is doing 2000rpm (or less) @ 100kph and one which is doing 3000-3500rpm at the same speed. A diesel will be more comfortable than a petrol because it revs slower.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 10:13 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
I would respectfully suggest that driving around the UK, where it is virtually impossible to drive more than 30 miles (50km) without coming to some form of civilisation, is very different to a long trip in Australia where you can go for hundreds of kilometres and never see another soul.

Take it from me, there is a large difference in comfort level between doing a long trip in a car which is doing 2000rpm (or less) @ 100kph and one which is doing 3000-3500rpm at the same speed. A diesel will be more comfortable than a petrol because it revs slower.
We bought a new hybrid camry a few months back... very comfortable on long drives. Hardly any noise in the cabin at all. Pretty good fuel economy, between 6 and 7 litres per 100km.

As per earlier posts, redbook is your source of info for residual values.

The yaris is a good small car, but at least test drive some mid-sized cars or 4wd's before you purchase...because there's a big difference when it comes to comfort. Also, as per amazulu's comment, definitely test drive an i30.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.