Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Car Boot Sales - in Perth?

Car Boot Sales - in Perth?

Old Sep 21st 2003, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

ayanem is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Car Boot Sales - in Perth?

Anyone know if they have car boot sales - or something similar - in Perth? Just thought my 2nd hand stuff might fetch more there.

Mary
Old Sep 21st 2003, 8:05 am
suz
Forum Regular

suz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Car Boot Sales - in Perth?

Originally posted by ayanem
Anyone know if they have car boot sales - or something similar - in Perth? Just thought my 2nd hand stuff might fetch more there.

Mary
Yes, so I am assured, but they call them something different.

Suz
Old Sep 21st 2003, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by suz
Yes, so I am assured, but they call them something different.

Suz
Garage sales here, human nature the same tho, it it says 10 bucks they offer you 2. Def not worth bringing junk to sell here.
Old Sep 21st 2003, 2:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

Car boot sales as we know them are called swap meets here & there are a few regular ones every week. There are also garage sales but the only ones we've stopped by at were full of absolute cr*p.

Loopy
Old Sep 22nd 2003, 8:58 am
IT nerd

MartinD is an unknown quantity at this point

There really is no 'car boot' comparisson here in Perth - swap meets are full of the worst rubbish you can imagine, and are only worth going to if you want to marvel at just why some people think such dreadful crap might actually be worth someone else's money.

Sell the stuff in the UK, and bring the Sterling with you - that's the sure way to win!
Old Sep 22nd 2003, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

suffolkdiva is an unknown quantity at this point

Mary,

We did a carboot sale last weekend, just down the A12 from you at Ardleigh.

We had a car load of absolute junk, most of which I was about to take to the tip, but a friend suggested we try and sell it. The long and short of it was we made £160. Amazed me what people will buy. Had the 'everything must go' attitude but it worked as we only bought home a shoebox size of stuff that didn't sell.

Do it here, and take the money and run!
Old Sep 22nd 2003, 2:28 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Look for 'flea markets' this is semi permanent and they have new stuff stalls as well as produce and 'boot type' stalls Lots of bargains there
Old Sep 22nd 2003, 4:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stoney is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ayanem

Mary
Hi Mary,
Canning Vale markets every Sunday (get there early) are about the closest thing I've seen, lots of new and crafty stuff also a British goods stall (kit kats tunnocks tea cakes walkers crisps polos etc) but there are car boot sellers there too with the usual junk.
Old Sep 22nd 2003, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

ayanem is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all your replies. We were contemplating a 'Garage sale' but living in a small Suffolk village we realised we wouldn't get the passing trade to make it worth while.

Suffolkdiva: We checked out the Car boot sale at Woodbridge Town FC on Sunday but think maybe a bigger site would be better - Ardleigh here we come!

Thanks Stoney for the info on Canning Vale market, we didn't know about that one.

While on the subject of markets, does anyone know if there is a big market in Perth for fresh food along the lines of Victoria market in Melbourne?

Mary

We hope to be in Perth at the end of THIS year - if this £$%^&* house ever gets sold!