Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Capital Gains Tax on sale of UK property

Capital Gains Tax on sale of UK property

Old May 8th 2009, 1:13 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Capital Gains Tax on sale of UK property

Can anyone please confirm if the CGT situation remains the same as that discussed here:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=416779

(Thanks to MartinLuther for the helpful information that you provided on that thread)
Old May 8th 2009, 1:43 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Capital Gains Tax on sale of UK property

Originally Posted by paulry
Can anyone please confirm if the CGT situation remains the same as that discussed here:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=416779

(Thanks to MartinLuther for the helpful information that you provided on that thread)

You've done well if you still need to consider CGT since the house values have fallen in the last year.
Old May 8th 2009, 1:46 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BAY
You've done well if you still need to consider CGT since the house values have fallen in the last year.
I bought my house over 10 years ago - it's nearly tripled in value since then.
Old May 8th 2009, 3:42 am
Forum Regular

Ruptured gonad is an unknown quantity at this point

I bought my house over 10 years ago - it's nearly tripled in value since then.
A 200% increase only needs a 66% drop to be undone completely, even less if inflation is taken into account. 25% in last year.
Old May 8th 2009, 7:02 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Ruptured gonad
A 200% increase only needs a 66% drop to be undone completely, even less if inflation is taken into account. 25% in last year.
Strangely, houses like mine in my area have not changed much in price to what they were being sold for this time last year.
Old May 8th 2009, 7:24 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

See also the attached tax factsheet.

If you are a temporary visaholder the position differs in that net rental income from the UK and any capital gains arising on the disposal of overseas located investments are simply disregarded in Australia - unless the Australian Government changes the position in next week's Budget.

Best regards.
Attached Files
Old May 8th 2009, 9:32 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
See also the attached tax factsheet.

If you are a temporary visaholder the position differs in that net rental income from the UK and any capital gains arising on the disposal of overseas located investments are simply disregarded in Australia - unless the Australian Government changes the position in next week's Budget.

Best regards.
Thanks for that Alan.

It looks like it's hard work to stay on the right side of two tax authorities and at the same time minimise the amounts that have to be paid.

I think I'll try and sell the house first and see where I go from there.

Best regards,

Paul
Old May 8th 2009, 8:22 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

I am in the UK presently, Paul (London and Southampton mainly, for the next week) - if you would like 10 minutes on the phone discussing your situation please send me a PM or email with your phone number.

Best regards.
Old May 10th 2009, 8:28 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
I am in the UK presently, Paul (London and Southampton mainly, for the next week) - if you would like 10 minutes on the phone discussing your situation please send me a PM or email with your phone number.

Best regards.
Thanks for your kind offer Alan. My wife and I have settled on plan A for the moment (to sell). It represents the tidiest option for us right now. We prefer to walk away without having to worry about letting our house on the other side of the world and it's potential tax headache. But in a few months time and if it's not sold by then then we'll be hunting around for other options - At which point we'll definately contact you.

Best regards,

Paul
Old May 10th 2009, 9:08 am
Migration Agent

Thanks for your kind offer Alan. My wife and I have settled on plan A for the moment (to sell). It represents the tidiest option for us right now. We prefer to walk away without having to worry about letting our house on the other side of the world and it's potential tax headache. But in a few months time and if it's not sold by then then we'll be hunting around for other options - At which point we'll definately contact you.

Best regards,

Paul
Noted - thanks Paul.

Feel able to contact me if you need any help in the future.

Best regards.