Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Capalaba,Brisbane

Capalaba,Brisbane

Old May 27th 2004, 8:45 pm
PENNINE ELECTRICAL

Location: Was Wakefield, Now Bayside,Capalaba, Brisbane since 2004
Darren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant future
Default Capalaba,Brisbane

Can Any one gives us any information or views on Capalaba,Brisbane Any information would be great.
We are a young family of three.
Old May 27th 2004, 10:08 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Capalaba,Brisbane

Originally posted by leannefr
Can Any one gives us any information or views on Capalaba,Brisbane Any information would be great.
hi, i live about 10-15 minutes away from capalaba.

its got plenty of shops, it's got some good areas and some not so good.

i'd be happy to answer any specific questions etc.

are you planning on heading for the area, or is it one of several choices ?

Old May 28th 2004, 9:46 am
Happy mum of 2 Aussies

Wanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

I recently went over to Oz on my validation trip and looked around at different areas to live. I would love to live in Manly (right on the coast) but Capalaba would be my next choice. Its very close to Manly (hence very close to the coast) and I thought it was great! I even viewed a couple of properties there and thought they were fantastic. Mind you - I dont have kids - so I wouldnt have a clue about schools, etc. But the area was lovely and had everything you could need.

W.
Old May 28th 2004, 9:58 am
ABCDiamond

Wanderlust
Do you think you will end up here in the Bayside area when you come over then ?

for leannefr
There are some very good schools around the Capalaba area, most with 10 mins drive. Some excellent private schools at around $5,000 per year.

Old May 28th 2004, 10:08 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

leanne, its a step up from where you were last looking anyway .

As ABC has said, some areas are nice, some are not so nice, but it is certainly well equiped with shops/services/schools etc.
Old May 28th 2004, 10:14 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

I think Capalaba has some great areas, on the drive in towards Birkdale, theres some great Properties on the rhs.

Always makes me laugh, because no matter how hard i try i never remember to pronounce KAH PALLIBAH coorectly
Old May 28th 2004, 10:19 am
Happy mum of 2 Aussies

Wanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ABCDiamond
Wanderlust
Do you think you will end up here in the Bayside area when you come over then ?

Hiya ABC,

I certainly hope so - I love it around there. I guess it all depends on where I find work though. Strong possibility I'll be working around the airport area, which is north of the city..... but I'd put up with the commute to be able to live in the bayside area.

W.
Old May 28th 2004, 10:19 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by MrsDagboy

As ABC has said, some areas are nice, some are not so nice, but it is certainly well equiped with shops/services/schools etc.
Where was she looking last time ?

There are some lovely 1.5 acre properties on Tipuana Drive, in the south Capalaba, not sure of prices now, but they were around $450-500k about 18 months ago.

Old May 28th 2004, 11:31 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
Where was she looking last time ?

There are some lovely 1.5 acre properties on Tipuana Drive, in the south Capalaba, not sure of prices now, but they were around $450-500k about 18 months ago.
She was looking at Hillcrest & Logan area :scared: .

Those lovely properties arent like that last property you showed us with the patchwork driveway are they? Right under the major powerlines? LOL

Wanderlust, its actually quite easy to get to the airport from here, about 15 mins over the Gateway bridge & you're there. I used to work over there, a few people used to live at Wynnum/Manly, actually very very convenient.
Old May 28th 2004, 11:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosy is an unknown quantity at this point

We lived in Capalaba for around 18 months, and generally found it to be a good area. We were in Ferntree Park, where all the properties were large and on "protected" acreage, i.e. no sub-division allowed. Plots were 1.5 acres, generally fairly flat, and well cleared.

Most people living there were professionals, and it was pretty quiet during the day, but unfortunately at night we were bugged by "hoons" - so you need a fence around your front garden to stop the donuts on the lawn!

Capalaba itself is a large suburb, and there are good and not so good areas. It is also the heart of the business and retail community for Brisbane Bayside - i.e. two large Malls (Capalaba Park and Capalaba Central), lots of fast food outlets, small and medium sized businesses etc.

It doesn't get too humid because of the closeness of the bay, but there are no decent beaches there - mind you Wellington Point is very nice and our children often swam there. They also have lots of those free bbq things in the park area there if you're into BBQs.

Vikky Point is also not too far away - again, not a swimming beach, but a short ferry ride to Coochiemudlo Island and there you can swim etc.

The further towards the business/shopping centre of Capalaba you get, the dodgier the areas - lots more units and higher density housing, personally I would definitely avoid Mount Cotton Road, and areas around there.

As far as schools are concerned, the primary school (Hilliards in Alexandra Hills) is supposedly one of the best state primaries in Bayside (although we weren't impressed!) and there is also Sheldon College, an expensive but supposedly very good private school which takes children from kindy right through High School.

all in all, Capalaba has a lot going for it, providing you pick the right part.
Old May 28th 2004, 3:42 pm
PENNINE ELECTRICAL

Darren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Rosy
We lived in Capalaba for around 18 months, and generally found it to be a good area. We were in Ferntree Park, where all the properties were large and on "protected" acreage, i.e. no sub-division allowed. Plots were 1.5 acres, generally fairly flat, and well cleared.

Most people living there were professionals, and it was pretty quiet during the day, but unfortunately at night we were bugged by "hoons" - so you need a fence around your front garden to stop the donuts on the lawn!

Capalaba itself is a large suburb, and there are good and not so good areas. It is also the heart of the business and retail community for Brisbane Bayside - i.e. two large Malls (Capalaba Park and Capalaba Central), lots of fast food outlets, small and medium sized businesses etc.

It doesn't get too humid because of the closeness of the bay, but there are no decent beaches there - mind you Wellington Point is very nice and our children often swam there. They also have lots of those free bbq things in the park area there if you're into BBQs.

Vikky Point is also not too far away - again, not a swimming beach, but a short ferry ride to Coochiemudlo Island and there you can swim etc.

The further towards the business/shopping centre of Capalaba you get, the dodgier the areas - lots more units and higher density housing, personally I would definitely avoid Mount Cotton Road, and areas around there.

As far as schools are concerned, the primary school (Hilliards in Alexandra Hills) is supposedly one of the best state primaries in Bayside (although we weren't impressed!) and there is also Sheldon College, an expensive but supposedly very good private school which takes children from kindy right through High School.

all in all, Capalaba has a lot going for it, providing you pick the right part.

Cheers to everyone who has replied,this area gives me hope....
When we Come over on sep 15th we are staying at the happy koala homes on jacarada rd, we are hoping to have a good look round the area so hopefully we will stay around there........
By reading the threads i suspect birkdale isnt bad either.........

Thanks again

Leanne
Old May 28th 2004, 4:00 pm
PENNINE ELECTRICAL

Originally posted by MrsDagboy

lol.
Yes we had gone off the idea of logan area due to a lot of peoples comments.
We were looking around Acacia Ridge and Mt Gravvit but the only accomadation Happy Koala Homes had was in Capalaba.
So had a look at Real estate prices and rent and it doesnt seem that bad.
So maybe we have stumbled across a good area judging by the replies.
Cheers.
Darren(Mr Leannefr)
Old May 28th 2004, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

Gryff is an unknown quantity at this point

hi everyone.

We've been thinking about Birkdale...but the hubby found a gorgeous house on the net at Sunnybank....whats it like anyone???? and how far is it to Moreton Bay College????
Old May 28th 2004, 5:41 pm
PENNINE ELECTRICAL

Originally posted by Gryff
hi everyone.

We've been thinking about Birkdale...but the hubby found a gorgeous house on the net at Sunnybank....whats it like anyone???? and how far is it to Moreton Bay College????

Hi we are also like you we are toying between sunnybank,acaica ridge,capalaba and birkdale,by the sounds of it abc diamond and mrs dragboy are the best candiates to give us info............
abc diamond i am going to pm you soon if thats ok for more info........
leanne
Old May 28th 2004, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

Gryff is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi we are also like you we are toying between sunnybank,acaica ridge,capalaba and birkdale,by the sounds of it abc diamond and mrs dragboy are the best candiates to give us info............
abc diamond i am going to pm you soon if thats ok for more info........
leanne
Goody let me know the outcome!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.