Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

can't put my finger on it....

can't put my finger on it....

Old Nov 16th 2003, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

ellen fedulow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default can't put my finger on it....

since getting back from my fact finding trip to Perth a couple of weeks ago, i've totaly gone off the idea of emigration, its so bad that me and hubby have been looking for property locally!! as some of you know i went on my trip alone, i wasn't gone long and i only saw a minute part of oz, but i can't put my finger on what it was that put me off. Perth is beautifull, clean and there's something for every one, the people seemed friendly enough. But i just couldn't see me and my family settling there. I know my job skills are not in demand any where in oz and my hubby would also struggle, we are 39 and 41 and have 3 dependant kids. in the UK we are very much in demand and our lifestyle reflects that. I suppose the trip made me realise we had missed the boat, we should of done it years ago. i take my hat off to you all, and i wish you all the best... i have used this site for almost a year and nobody or nothing that was said has put me off, in my case it may be a case of cowardice or just simple realisation that sometimes the grass is just as green right under your very nose!
i will still visit this site as i feel i have almost made friends on here with certain people and it is always good to see people realising their dreams and getting that infamous yellow envelope. Once again i wish you all the very best

cheers
ellen1
Old Nov 16th 2003, 9:43 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future
Default Re: can't put my finger on it....

Originally posted by ellen fedulow
since getting back from my fact finding trip to Perth a couple of weeks ago, i've totaly gone off the idea of emigration, its so bad that me and hubby have been looking for property locally!! as some of you know i went on my trip alone, i wasn't gone long and i only saw a minute part of oz, but i can't put my finger on what it was that put me off. Perth is beautifull, clean and there's something for every one, the people seemed friendly enough. But i just couldn't see me and my family settling there. I know my job skills are not in demand any where in oz and my hubby would also struggle, we are 39 and 41 and have 3 dependant kids. in the UK we are very much in demand and our lifestyle reflects that. I suppose the trip made me realise we had missed the boat, we should of done it years ago. i take my hat off to you all, and i wish you all the best... i have used this site for almost a year and nobody or nothing that was said has put me off, in my case it may be a case of cowardice or just simple realisation that sometimes the grass is just as green right under your very nose!
i will still visit this site as i feel i have almost made friends on here with certain people and it is always good to see people realising their dreams and getting that infamous yellow envelope. Once again i wish you all the very best

cheers
ellen1
Glad you were able to make a clear decision - emigration is best only for a tiny minority - I say for those for whom Australia offers improved prospects or those for whom Australia has a strong personal connection.
Old Nov 16th 2003, 10:27 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

me and hubby have been looking for property locally!!

I hope the prices hold a bit longer (or go down!?) as we will be back in Notts in June!!!

Good luck Ellen, at least you went to look and can get on with life now.
Old Nov 16th 2003, 10:33 pm
WBB

you got to do what is best for you and your family, only you can decide that.

good luck.

Old Nov 17th 2003, 12:05 am
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

cheers
ellen1
Kismet...as Peter, my Swedish wind-surfing, solar-terrestrial physicist mate says..."feel the flow"...
Old Nov 17th 2003, 12:16 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

cheers
ellen1
The UK is not that bad and splitting a family by 10,000 miles is not easy. You are not being a coward and I respect someone who is willing to change their mind after investing so much personal effort.
Old Nov 17th 2003, 12:31 am
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Megalania
Glad you were able to make a clear decision - emigration is best only for a tiny minority - I say for those for whom Australia offers improved prospects or those for whom Australia has a strong personal connection.
There are a multitude of other reasons for a successful emigration which are not soley limited to monetary or family matters. Many people successfully leave the UK to live in other EU states like Spain, France or Italy & will not be come under these reasons.
Old Nov 17th 2003, 12:52 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by ossigeno
There are a multitude of other reasons for a successful emigration which are not soley limited to monetary or family matters. Many people successfully leave the UK to live in other EU states like Spain, France or Italy & will not be come under these reasons.
Not solely, but mainly? Be interesting if you would name a few of these other reasons and ascribe a degree of significance to them.
Old Nov 17th 2003, 12:58 am
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Megalania
Not solely, but mainly? Be interesting if you would name a few of these other reasons and ascribe a degree of significance to them.
Let me have a go...

Other reasons, not based on career or family.

(1) Idly rich...and bored...
Old Nov 17th 2003, 2:40 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

cheers
ellen1
Ellen there is no simple answer. Some people like to put others in little boxes to explain things... life is just not like that.
You either like it or you don't.. for many reasons, not for just one or two reasons. You should know that as you're social worker aren't you.

Take myself and hubby.. we are well paid, own our house, own a boat, .. basically we want for nothing. Our weekends are filled with various activities... but this is still not enough. I could probably write 100 pages long why we don't like it here and not one specific point. I prefer Asia to Australia, and of course I prefer my home country.. I wasn't searching for a utopia.. we have been working abroad for the past eleven years for a total different reason to most - the money we are personally on, and the challenge, the plain .. lets do it.

Personally looking back when we offered to come to Aus, we should have taken the offer in China . Hindsight eh?

You either feel for the country - or you don't. Don't feel bad about it.. at least you have come to a decision, at least you looked and tried.

Good luck with the future

Last edited by Ceri; Nov 17th 2003 at 3:17 am.
Old Nov 17th 2003, 3:22 am

Originally posted by ossigeno
I agree with you but all of continental Europe is within 4 hours flight. It takes 4 hours flying to get out of Australia/NZ from Sydney let alone the 24 hours to get to Europe. Add in the 9-11 hours jet lag and airfares and a weekend away at the parents is out of the question.
Old Nov 17th 2003, 4:59 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

cheers
ellen1
This is exactly why a recce trip is such a good idea.

I compare this emigrating lark to an arranged marriage (no prior visit) and a marriage of love.

With an arranged marriage you might fall in love with Australia, learn to love Australia, put up with it or plain hate it.

A love marriage can last forever, particularly if Australia doesn't keep bloody nagging at you to put those shelves up.
Old Nov 17th 2003, 5:16 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

QUOTE]a weekend away at the parents is out of the question.[/QUOTE]
Not always such a bad thing! Faced with a weekend amongst a squabbling family, all wanting me to take sides - and they aren't even MY family - I could cheerfully run back to the UK!

Renth has made a good comparison there - it is rather like a marriage, an arranged marriage probably needs more work in order to succeed, and even then may not survive, but bear in mind even some marriages of love fail occasionally.
Old Nov 17th 2003, 6:17 am

Originally posted by Pollyana
QUOTE]a weekend away at the parents is out of the question.

Not always such a bad thing! Faced with a weekend amongst a squabbling family, all wanting me to take sides - and they aren't even MY family - I could cheerfully run back to the UK!

Renth has made a good comparison there - it is rather like a marriage, an arranged marriage probably needs more work in order to succeed, and even then may not survive, but bear in mind even some marriages of love fail occasionally. [/QUOTE]

LOL

I agree but there are those who are very close to their family. I speak to my family more often here than when I was 10 mins walk away. I was packed off to boarding school at 9 so they can hardly complain.
Old Nov 17th 2003, 7:50 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I think I shall probably speak to my own family more often than I did in the UK, though we've never been really close. Must be really difficult for those of you that are close, moving so far away. I now seem to have landed in the middle of my "new" family, while they are about to declare a Cold War!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.