Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can't get it up in Oz!

Can't get it up in Oz!

Old Jul 23rd 2006, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

PegLeg is a jewel in the roughPegLeg is a jewel in the roughPegLeg is a jewel in the roughPegLeg is a jewel in the roughPegLeg is a jewel in the rough
Default Can't get it up in Oz!

Anyone else having trouble getting it up in Oz?

Cakes rising that is and other such things that need to rise in the oven ;-)

Recipes that used to work fine in the UK just don't seem to rise here in the oven. Not sure if its the electric fan assisted oven or the self raising flour thats the problem.

Anyone else had the same problem ? :-)
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 2:42 pm
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice
Default Re: Can't get it up in Oz!

Originally Posted by PegLeg

Recipes that used to work fine in the UK just don't seem to rise here in the oven. Not sure if its the electric fan assisted oven or the self raising flour thats the problem.

I am finding the ovens over here are bullshit...I cant even get mine to cook properly, let alone make me yorkshires rise...Im convinced mine is hotest at the bottom I know we are upside down but thats ridiculous...its a brand new oven for gods sake...I'd wager its nowt to do with the flour...well in my house it isnt...I want another new oven...
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

georgiagal is a jewel in the roughgeorgiagal is a jewel in the roughgeorgiagal is a jewel in the roughgeorgiagal is a jewel in the rough

We had the same problem in the US, it's the flour apparently. HOwever, if you're making good old Yorkies, you must have 1 egg per 1 tblsp. of flour, then you'll get some beauties.
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 11:24 pm
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

I think it may be down to the humidity.

Having no problems now, but in the summer nothing seems to rise. Even with Yorkshire pud mix brought back from the UK. Rising a treat now, but back in February they were just like cakes!
Old Jul 24th 2006, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

We had the same problem in Belgium and in the US and both times it was down to the different flour and it just took some experimentation to get it sorted. Neither Belgium or the US have true self raising flour. When we moved here I used my modified recipies from Belgium and just got huge cakes that were all air. I reverted back to the UK recipies and it has been fine. However we are not in an area with high humidity so that might be a problem. I know that altitude can cause real problems as well but that is unlikely to be a real problem over here . In Belgium I used a different butter depending on whether it was winter or summer as I could only cook with the best quality butter in the summer (the cheaper stuff melted too quickly and wouldn't whip up properly) or else the cakes looked OK but had a layer of cake that hadn't risen when you cut it Don't ask me why but through trial and error I learnt that when the cakes started to go wrong like this I would change the butter and it would be fine until the weather changed again.
Keep with it and just adjust your raising agents or ingredients until you find a mix that works. I am really enjoying not having to do that here ,good luck. At the moment most of my cakes are made with Nuttelex as I can't tolerate any dairy and it works really well.
Nicky
Old Jul 24th 2006, 12:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future

I thought I'd lost my touch! So, thanks, will experiment with flour. I think the fan oven is too fierce though. If you put the fan on it cooks too quickly and if you don't put it on the oven doesn't seem to work. Hopefully will be OK when I am out of the rental market and have my own place.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 1:22 am
Forum Regular

liverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to all
Unhappy Re: Can't get it up in Oz!

I'm glad I'm not the only one having problems with Oz ovens. The ovens I have used take half an hour to reach temp (according to the little light on the over) and then when I put the food in it burns before the time is up. I never had this problem in the UK. I use the oven as little as possible and cook on the hob now.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 1:41 am
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute

I am going to show my hubby this thread. I was always renowned in England for making such good yorkshire puds, now I just just get laughed at because they are either a big stodgy dollop, or they are completely flacid!! I have even bought a brand new Neff oven (not cheap) and it has not made much difference. I have been experimenting by using less flour and more eggs and it has helped a bit. I have decided that I am going to go to the British shop and buy some Homepride flour and see if that will get me back on track. My youngest has even stopped eating my yorkies Totally unheard of before. I am determined to get it sorted then I will make them sick by eating loads and loads of them HA!
Old Jul 24th 2006, 1:43 am
gjs
Forum Regular

gjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Re: Can't get it up in Oz!

Originally Posted by liverpool girl
I'm glad I'm not the only one having problems with Oz ovens. The ovens I have used take half an hour to reach temp (according to the little light on the over) and then when I put the food in it burns before the time is up. I never had this problem in the UK. I use the oven as little as possible and cook on the hob now.
Mine too. we've got an Ariston and it's crap.It's about as warm as the temps here at night.My DD went to heat up some oven chips and they took 5o mins to cook.So we use the hob or the rotisserie on the barbie!Gorgeous
Old Jul 24th 2006, 2:18 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PegLeg

YES yes yes
my oven is crap. everything i bake just does not seem to cook right.
I thought ik lost my touch. ITs so frustrating.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 1:17 pm
SJR
Forum Regular

SJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to all

[QUOTE=PegLeg]Anyone else having trouble getting it up in Oz?

Anyone else had the same problem ? :-)[/QUOT
Hi there, I thought it was just me!!! I did a trial run of making a chocolate cake out of ye olde faithful Bero Book and it just didn't rise at all. To make a decent sized cake I had to TREBLE the recipe!!! Maybe it's the flour....
Old Jul 24th 2006, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

I could never get anything to rise before so maybe I'll have more success now!
Old Jul 24th 2006, 1:37 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

A friend complained her baking was crap when she first moved into her rental, but she sorted it by changing the fat she used.

I've been baking with butter since we arrived here and haven't had any problems yet. Also use raw sugar, and organic S/R flour. Mind, I got some organic sugar a few weeks ago and tried baking with that and the cakes were really greasy and yuk. Went back to ordinary raw sugar and they were fine again.

I think any change of oven, when you've been used to a specific one for baking, can wreck baking. My MIL moved a mile down the road in Bristol and her cakes and yorkshires have never been the same since. She blames the oven.

Sue