Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can't convince son to attend a single sex school - help

Can't convince son to attend a single sex school - help

Old Dec 8th 2005, 4:12 am
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future
Default Can't convince son to attend a single sex school - help

After weeks of looking at schools we have finally found one that is great, but it is boys only, Jack is distraught as he has always attended co-ed. He is nearly 15 and many of his friends in the UK were female (he had a huge friendship group). The local co-ed schools offer less sport and sport ruled his life in the UK. We know he can join a rugby club but will that be enough?
I just don't know what to do, should I choose or let him make the decision. How can I convince him to attend the single sex school?
Thanks
Tara
Old Dec 8th 2005, 4:21 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can't convince son to attend a single sex school - help

Originally Posted by ali south
After weeks of looking at schools we have finally found one that is great, but it is boys only, Jack is distraught as he has always attended co-ed. He is nearly 15 and many of his friends in the UK were female (he had a huge friendship group). The local co-ed schools offer less sport and sport ruled his life in the UK. We know he can join a rugby club but will that be enough?
I just don't know what to do, should I choose or let him make the decision. How can I convince him to attend the single sex school?
Thanks
Tara

He's 15. Let him choose. There's stacks of sports clubs outside of school anyway.
Old Dec 8th 2005, 4:30 am
birmingham to brisbane

cam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nice

Originally Posted by diddy
He's 15. Let him choose. There's stacks of sports clubs outside of school anyway.

Plus at 15 .. the sort of 'sport' he'll be interested in .. wont be at a single sex school

(or at least thats what it was like when i was 15 )
Old Dec 8th 2005, 5:51 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Can't convince son to attend a single sex school - help

Originally Posted by cam_uk
Plus at 15 .. the sort of 'sport' he'll be interested in .. wont be at a single sex school

(or at least thats what it was like when i was 15 )
Blimey! They have single-sex schools in Oz???? I thought that was just a left-over of the English Victorian days when it was forbidden for a girl to look at a boy in case she got aroused or some such rubbish.

On my experience, let the kid go to the mixed school. I went to same-sex schools until I was 12, thankfully was co-ed after that. Many of my friends who stayed at the same-sex school until they were 18 are still unattached (and not gay!) in their 30's as they have no idea how to relate to females!

He needs to experience the Ozzie Sheila's to get a fully rounded expat experience too!

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Dec 8th 2005, 7:35 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I can only tell you that from my personal experience of being sent to an all-boys school that being able to confidently communicate with members of the opposite sex is a far more important skill than knowing how ox-bow lakes form. Like everyone else said, if he's so sporty, let him join an outside club.

Old Dec 8th 2005, 7:41 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

I went to an all boys boarding school and didnt do me a bit of harm

Honestly tell him the girls fall over themselves when they find out you are in an all boys school.
Old Dec 8th 2005, 8:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seang
I went to an all boys boarding school and didnt do me a bit of harm

Honestly tell him the girls fall over themselves when they find out you are in an all boys school.
There's an element of truth in this, the nicest birds often like a bloke who has been fashioned in an all boys school after they get bored with the wankers in the state school. Yes, I know that you get wankers in private schools too, but at least it will be wanker with an education and a bit of elan. Lol. Tell him that a bit of sex and snobbery has been making the world go around for years. He can always raid the local private girl's school with his mates and he'll be apples.
Old Dec 8th 2005, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Tara
I would let him decide and if he has been in a co ed school for his schooling so far he may find harder to settle into a single sex school. Both my two older daughters had very good friends that were boys and would have died if I had sent them to an all girls school. They mix confidently with males and I am sure this is because they went to a mixed school.
Old Dec 8th 2005, 9:37 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

You can try to convince, but don't make the decision for him ...

Thanks
Tara
Old Dec 8th 2005, 9:37 am
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Good god...don't send him to a single sex school, do you want Freddie Mercury for a son!?

Send him to a state school so he can get a root and drink beer - it's all part of growing up...

isn't it?!

R
Old Dec 8th 2005, 10:39 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by samnrob2
Good god...don't send him to a single sex school, do you want Freddie Mercury for a son!?

What ? an International best selling recording artist? Suppose it would be an added bonus for the OP
Old Dec 11th 2005, 1:58 am
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future

Thanks Everyone
Old Dec 11th 2005, 8:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

After weeks of looking at schools we have finally found one that is great,
What are his UAI ambitions? I'm not saying they can't be achieved at a co-ed school but your judgment "after weeks of looking...is great" may be code for having found a culture where academic achievement is valued. Schools here tend to be more competitive for those seeking university placement.

There are plenty of opportunities for friendships on the travel to school phase of the day and at beaches and other outdoor activities. Having a sister helps.
Old Dec 11th 2005, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

angela&rob is a jewel in the roughangela&rob is a jewel in the roughangela&rob is a jewel in the roughangela&rob is a jewel in the roughangela&rob is a jewel in the rough

I went to a single sex school and wouldn't send my child to one. Your social skills are so much more rounded whne you leave a co-ed school than when you leave a single sex school.

As long as the academics are good then I would worry about the sport. If he loves sport, he'll play it whether the school offers shed loads or not. Besides, interests change and at 15 am sure they are changing on a regular basis
Old Dec 14th 2005, 11:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by samnrob2

Send him to a state school so he can get a root and drink beer - it's all part of growing up...

isn't it?!

R

What crap! I went to a co-ed school and I am 100% gay and proud about it!
Don't draw such stupid bigoted conclusions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.