Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cancelled our emigration - here's why.

Cancelled our emigration - here's why.

Old Sep 22nd 2005, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cancelled our emigration - here's why.

Originally Posted by MartinH
Thanks to all for your really nice posts.

For those who have thought about moving to a continental European country and been worried because of the language thing - then you really shouldn't. Most international employers will consider you, provided you are willing to learn. Our children were in international school for the first two years here but - mainly because of the cost - we decided to put them into the local school system. This has proved to be an excellent decision and they are both (13 and 10) now perfectly bilingual. What really surprised me was that the local children were so friendly and interested in "auslanders" and to my knowledge they have never been teased or bullied because they were 'different'. They do have an advantage that they the schools teach English as a foreign language - so they are always top in something!

Anyway, thanks again for your kind messsages

Interesting.

I will have to go home tonight and convince her that Australia isnt for us, and to consider heading for Germany!!!
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

Dmartyos has a spectacular aura aboutDmartyos has a spectacular aura aboutDmartyos has a spectacular aura about

One of the better posts to read on here at last.

It does make you sit down & think about things. I spent time in lake district & then over in europe recently & it has made me think, dam I cant do this anymore for a while maybe not for a long time. But I dont have the feeling of dread at the moment.

Mainly because were I am both physically & professionally is not here. Therefore if a person is like this & they will be open to doing extreme things to change it ie emigrate.

Your choice was made by yourself & family agreed so it sounds great for you, also Germany sounds like a brilliant place to work/live & bring up a family.
At the end of the day thats what most decent people want & for me it wasent going to happen in the UK at the moment.

Good luck with your lives in Germany & this will make you enjoy your lifestyle over there 10 folds. Marty
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 3:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

maggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond repute

Having cancelled our proposed move to Oz, I thought it might be interesting for those about to go or those who are having second thoughts, an alternative point of view.

First thing to say is that we are not completely green to this and Australia would have been our second big move, having ‘emigrated’ from England to Germany some six years ago.

Secondly, the cancellation of our move has created an unbelievable amount of disruption as we had already gone a long part of the way down the road (visa granted, house sold, removals booked, job resigned etc.).

We had decided to move to Oz basically because after nearly six years of living in Germany we wanted to return to an English speaking environment and for the children to continue their education in English. In addition, we took a big holiday in Australia last year and really enjoyed it.

Anyway, over the last few months there were a couple of events that started to make me feel a little uncomfortable about going; some of them I’ll admit are very personal and a little bit ridiculous. Anyway here goes…..

1. Over the last few months I’ve had the good fortune to visit Oslo and Prague and, as anyone who has visited either place will confirm, they are incredibly beautiful cities. That got me thinking of all the other places in Europe that I hadn’t visited and made me think how difficult it would be to visit those places living so far away.

2. The summer arrived. I live in a small town in southern Germany which is surrounded by mountains (well more like hills really) and the summer is such a great time to go mountain biking. There would have been minimal opportunities in Perth.

3. The mountains got me thinking about skiing and whilst there are opportunities to ski in the southern hemisphere, they are not the places where (like now) I could leave after work on Friday and be back at my desk on Monday morning. I was also starting to have difficulties picturing the family eating Christmas dinner in shorts.

4. I would have had to give my car (a Porsche) back. Ok I could have had a reasonably nice car down under but even then no opportunity to drive like I can in Germany (I’m aware that to a lot of people this will sound really pathetic!)

5. This may be controversial and I am prepared to be flamed for it BUT one of the things I like about Germany is the lack of Brits and living in a culture which still has a strong sense of discipline and order and I really worry about British / American culture invading Australia. I am not saying that Germany is perfect but the hooligan element is certainly much reduced.

I had not shared my concerns with the family having committed so much time and effort to organizing the move and the catalyst came when our dog failed its final blood test. This really through things into chaos as there was no way I could ask the children to leave their dog behind. We had a second blood test done and a third before finally after two-weeks she was given the all-clear. But over those two weeks we had shared our concerns as a family and had collectively come to the conclusion that there were more reasons to stay than to go.
So over the last two weeks we have had to dial-ourselves back into our life. We have moved house, got the kids back into school and (luckily) managed to get my job back (I had remained on very good terms with my employer and they had told me that if ever I decided to come back then the door would be open for me).

I don’t regret the decision as I think it has given us the opportunity to take a step back and look at our lives and appreciate all the great things about it – as opposed to looking at the other side of the hill and thinking the grass is greener.

In 10-15 years when we retire, when I can no longer mountainbike and when I no longer wish to drive like a loon then we may decide to go but for the now the chapter is closed.

My message to other is make sure you weigh up all the pro’s and cons. Don’t try and sell yourself on a “getting a better life” in general ticket. Really sit down and think about what you will gain but more importantly, what you will lose and then evaluate whether that is an acceptable sacrifice.
Prague is certainly a very beautiful place and was the last place we visited before making the move to oz.

Made us wander if we were doing the right thing but have no regrets now we are here.

Good luck mate wishing you all the best.

Mags and family
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 4:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Dmartyos
One of the better posts to read on here at last.

It does make you sit down & think about things. I spent time in lake district & then over in europe recently & it has made me think, dam I cant do this anymore for a while maybe not for a long time. But I dont have the feeling of dread at the moment.

Mainly because were I am both physically & professionally is not here. Therefore if a person is like this & they will be open to doing extreme things to change it ie emigrate.

Your choice was made by yourself & family agreed so it sounds great for you, also Germany sounds like a brilliant place to work/live & bring up a family.
At the end of the day thats what most decent people want & for me it wasent going to happen in the UK at the moment.

Good luck with your lives in Germany & this will make you enjoy your lifestyle over there 10 folds. Marty
Both myself and my wife are of the view that it is important not to have any regrets - when I lie on my death bed I want to feel that I've achieved all that I could and made the right decisions at the right time for the right reasons. That's also back by a firm belief that occaionally its necessary to "mix it up a bit". All the planning and now the putting things back in place has been that shake up. But I will never say never - and for most (on this forum obviously) I'm sure australia will be the great dream they always wished for.

Good luck to you as well.
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

zalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for that and you are so right. i forgot to mention the only thing that i regret is all the wasted energy that was put into the move and then having to straighten every thing out again. what a waste of time and energy . i am still unpacking boxes but i am just thankful that it hadnt all been shipped to toronto . cheers
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

A brilliant post. Thank you for being so honest and open despite the knowledge that you may get slated for your opinions ( as happens so often on here!).

I think that you and your family are very brave for making that decision. If you had gone ahead with the move without opening up with your family about how you felt then you could have all ended up not very happy over there. I am really pleased that you realised that you already had everything you want right where you are before you made the move.

I dont feel like I have all that i want right here at the moment and believe that there is something more out there for me. I know that australia isnt utopia but it is going to be a new experience for me and my family.

Good luck with your lives and always remember that Australia wont be going anywhere soon so you can always try again at a later date if you want to

Tracey
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 6:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

pako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nice

All the best to you and your family, you have to follow your heart..
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

baggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant future

great post martin

we to came to the decision to stay after much soul searching and hours and hours of shall we stay or shall we go (theres a song in there somewhere)
we (myself wife 2 daughters (2 & 4)and the mother in law)went over to perth in april for a reccie and thought what a beautiful and ideal place for kids to grow up,this made our decision so much harder it would have been easy if we didnt like perth but who could not want to be sitting at a cafe at hiliarys just taking in the atmos.....

anyway it took us a while to come to our decision but we came to realise that our lives really arent that bad here and you do get swept up the whole 'uk is rubbish and your kids will be worse off then you are'thing.

we and our daughters could also be worse off if we went having no other family but my wife and i,leaving behind our numerous friends and their children,cousins,nephews,aunties,uncles and the big one grandparents,after see'ing how much our girls are doted on by our their grandparents theres no way i could take that out of their day to day lives...

i know apprieciate what we used to take for granted and how beautiful the uk can be,hell i'm even looking forward to the winter (we're already in negotiations as to where we are having xmas dinner)autumn is coming and the sun is out at 7 am but theres a cetain nip in the air that wakes you up.

we are now looking to move out to a rural area to enjoy the things that we used to take for granted and hopefully retire early....

sorry to waffle on but you know how it is.......

p.s

we're still planning another trip to oz tho fantastic place just we dont feel we've seen enough of where we live now

karl
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 8:48 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I think that sometimes in life, you are lucky enough to get the 'warning signals' that what you are about to do is not and will not be right for you.

You have had that feeling which told you this wouldn't be right for you or your family and were lucky enough to get it before you made the move.

You slotted back into bits of your old life with a new house, new attitude and a new outlook and appreciation for the things that you have rather than the things you would have to move to get.

Quite suddenly, you have learned to enjoy the weather, the festive season and the convenience of being able to see and love other countries.

Sometimes you need to go quite far in a process to realise it isnt for you and sometimes, you also need the thought of moving away to make you REALLY SEE what is in front of you.

Well done for that, and when I say enjoy your new life, I mean enjoy your life with your new outlook on it.

Good luck

Samantha

Last edited by Cheetah7; Sep 22nd 2005 at 8:50 pm.
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 8:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

funkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant future

Having cancelled our proposed move to Oz, I thought it might be interesting for those about to go or those who are having second thoughts, an alternative point of view.

First thing to say is that we are not completely green to this and Australia would have been our second big move, having ‘emigrated’ from England to Germany some six years ago.

Secondly, the cancellation of our move has created an unbelievable amount of disruption as we had already gone a long part of the way down the road (visa granted, house sold, removals booked, job resigned etc.).

We had decided to move to Oz basically because after nearly six years of living in Germany we wanted to return to an English speaking environment and for the children to continue their education in English. In addition, we took a big holiday in Australia last year and really enjoyed it.

Anyway, over the last few months there were a couple of events that started to make me feel a little uncomfortable about going; some of them I’ll admit are very personal and a little bit ridiculous. Anyway here goes…..

1. Over the last few months I’ve had the good fortune to visit Oslo and Prague and, as anyone who has visited either place will confirm, they are incredibly beautiful cities. That got me thinking of all the other places in Europe that I hadn’t visited and made me think how difficult it would be to visit those places living so far away.

2. The summer arrived. I live in a small town in southern Germany which is surrounded by mountains (well more like hills really) and the summer is such a great time to go mountain biking. There would have been minimal opportunities in Perth.

3. The mountains got me thinking about skiing and whilst there are opportunities to ski in the southern hemisphere, they are not the places where (like now) I could leave after work on Friday and be back at my desk on Monday morning. I was also starting to have difficulties picturing the family eating Christmas dinner in shorts.

4. I would have had to give my car (a Porsche) back. Ok I could have had a reasonably nice car down under but even then no opportunity to drive like I can in Germany (I’m aware that to a lot of people this will sound really pathetic!)

5. This may be controversial and I am prepared to be flamed for it BUT one of the things I like about Germany is the lack of Brits and living in a culture which still has a strong sense of discipline and order and I really worry about British / American culture invading Australia. I am not saying that Germany is perfect but the hooligan element is certainly much reduced.

I had not shared my concerns with the family having committed so much time and effort to organizing the move and the catalyst came when our dog failed its final blood test. This really through things into chaos as there was no way I could ask the children to leave their dog behind. We had a second blood test done and a third before finally after two-weeks she was given the all-clear. But over those two weeks we had shared our concerns as a family and had collectively come to the conclusion that there were more reasons to stay than to go.
So over the last two weeks we have had to dial-ourselves back into our life. We have moved house, got the kids back into school and (luckily) managed to get my job back (I had remained on very good terms with my employer and they had told me that if ever I decided to come back then the door would be open for me).

I don’t regret the decision as I think it has given us the opportunity to take a step back and look at our lives and appreciate all the great things about it – as opposed to looking at the other side of the hill and thinking the grass is greener.

In 10-15 years when we retire, when I can no longer mountainbike and when I no longer wish to drive like a loon then we may decide to go but for the now the chapter is closed.

My message to other is make sure you weigh up all the pro’s and cons. Don’t try and sell yourself on a “getting a better life” in general ticket. Really sit down and think about what you will gain but more importantly, what you will lose and then evaluate whether that is an acceptable sacrifice.
Lovely post. Well as long as you and your family are happy with the desicion, then good luck to you all. As the saying goes.. always stick with your gut feeling, and follow your heart. All the best guys. FBxx
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 9:00 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Good post. It's refreshing to hear of someone thats taken a step back, evaluated their situation and taken a grasp of what they already have around them.
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 9:09 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

As you say, a refreshing post in contrast to many recently. It's good to see someone making an informed decision and making a rational case for it in public instead of just going with the herd.
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 10:09 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Great post Martin - good luck with your life in Germany & whatever you decide to do in the future .
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 10:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

An inspiring post mate.

It shows all of us reading, that gut feelings should be welcomed and explored fully.
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 12:14 am
Ashley Banjo Enthusiast

wholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck. Well done for deciding what is right for you. Funny, some of the mail points you listed as reasons for not going are the very things that appealed to me. And I love it here. Brilliantly illustrated how different people's needs and wants are. All the best - WWW

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.