Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Canberra-Yes or No?

Canberra-Yes or No?

Old Aug 23rd 2004, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

debio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canberra-Yes or No?

Anyone have any first hand experience on living and working here.We plan to go to WA,but i've noticed that there is a bit of a push on to get teachers to Canberra and surrounds.
So you knowledgable people out there get typing and give me the low down PLEASE
Ta,Debio
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Canberra-Yes or No?

I'm starting to think that maybe it's a NO!
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

I lived in canberra for 6 months, and personally I like the place. many people reckon it to be a bit lacking in soul, which if you like clubbing it every night it may well be.

The scenery around the city is stunning, particularly in the south, and you often see kangaroos bounding up the road. My sister in law often gets them on her front lawn.

If you have kids, Canberra has a lot to offer in terms of schools and sports.

As for the layout of the city, away from the centre, most of the suburbs are wel spead out, with bushland everywhere. Most of the larger suburbs have their own shopping malls, and are pretty much self contained communities.

One thing however, its absolutely freezing there at night in winter, often reaching -6, although the winter days can be quite warm.

The National Museum by the lake is also a classic example of why you should keep marketing people and arty farty designers away from that kind of project, its a true carbuncle, which is a shame as its on probably the best bit of land in canberra, a small penninsular that sticks out into the lake.

Apart from that, the other touristy sights to see are very well done, the war memorial is really excellent, Questacon is worth a visit, and the annual hot air balloon festival is really neat!

If you fancy a day at the beach, batemans bay is THE place to go if you are a canberran, a 2 - 3 hour drive down to the coast: the Clyde mountain stretch is a great place to test your brakes on the way there, and how good your radiator is on the way back!
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for that Trevglas,do the houses have heating then,if it gets that cold.I'm not into clubbing etc-we like the relaxed quiet life(not boring exactly ).
Thanks,
Debio
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 3:31 pm
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: Canberra-Yes or No?

Originally Posted by debio
Anyone have any first hand experience on living and working here.We plan to go to WA,but i've noticed that there is a bit of a push on to get teachers to Canberra and surrounds.
So you knowledgable people out there get typing and give me the low down PLEASE
Ta,Debio
Debio
I lived there for 4 months back in 96 and it was boring! Nothing to do for the kids especially apart from a few local attractions which you will see in a week. It really is suit city mon-fri 9-5, outside those times, it was shut!
I still enjoyed it though-don't get me wrong! I had no kids and many friends at that time but most entertaining is done at home.
Kids (youth) would often be hanging around on the streets - nothing to do etc. I heard the crime rate (youth related vandalaism etc) was quite high.
I passed my driving test there! the roads are so straight, people so polite and not many cars!
Highlights are going to the Mint and the Dinosaur (fossil) site.

That was 8 years ago - sure things may have changed and I would visit the place with my kids (the mint and dinosaurs) but I wouldn't want to live there.

(I hate being negative - this is just my opinion, sure the residents of ACT think it's great or they wouldn't stay there!)

Andrew
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

Many thanks Andrew-honesty was what i wanted after all
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

New houses in the ACT (and Queanbeyan) now have to be energy rated, and you see the ratings in the ads.

Many older (by older I mean more than 10 years old) have less insulation than something with no insulation at all! Double glazing and central heating appear to be non existant.

It seems to be a particularly aussie thing (i.e. not just Canberra), the houses are built for hot weather, yet inland, particularly in the south, it can get bloody cold.

We lived in a unit in Kambah, and our heating consisted of an electric convection heater, coats, jumpers and an electric blanket. However, many houses do have wood burning stoves, and gas heating is also available.

Being a fair way away from the coast does have one advantage, in summer, the humidity is right down, (10-20%). This makes 45 degree summers reasonably bearable. 35 degrees/90% humidity, like you get in Brisbane in summer for instance is absolutely oppressive
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 3:53 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi ya Deb.

I lived in Canberra for 3 months back when I used to work for the Government and moved up there on a temp contract.

I loved it. Not sure if I was in a different Canberra, but I found the nightlife awesome. Was never short of places to go and found the people were really friendly and didnt have a problem finding someone to go out with. Perhaps it helped that I was a public servant and Canberra is full of them.

As stated by Trev, it does get bloody cold, but I found it a beautiful cold, really crisp when the sun shone....

There are some lovely places around Canberra to go exploring, some lovely waterfalls and picnic areas....Although they have had bushfires in the area since I lived there.

Hope some of this info helps even just a little

Hels
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 3:54 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Trevglas
Double glazing and central heating appear to be non existant.

I had never even heard of double glazing till I left Oz in 98 and travelled the US and Europe....

Old Aug 23rd 2004, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks guys-it all helps
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 4:50 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Scutter is heading out there in the next couple of weeks.......I havent seen him online here for ages, but you could try emailing him?

I visited briefly in 1995, but there was a thick fog the whole time i was there, so saw virtually nothing!!
dunno if billy connolly's view holds much water, but he kinda likes it!!!!!

sue
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for that Sue,might try the e-mail option.
Hope all is well with you.
Debi
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 8:33 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

I went there ONCE.
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 8:40 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by diddy
I went there ONCE.

But you're alright now???

Old Aug 23rd 2004, 10:05 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

No!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.