Canberra salary

Old Aug 23rd 2011, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

riccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of light
Thumbs down Canberra salary

My wife, 3 kids and I are moving to Canberra within the next 10 weeks and my wife has been offered a job with a salary of $50,000 to start with.

I have heard Canberra is very expensive to live in and was wondering would this be hard to get by on (would I need a job?) or could we get bye ok on this ?

I have to be a househusband to the kids start school in February.

Just how dear is Canberra ?

Thanks in advance

Richard
Old Aug 24th 2011, 1:34 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canberra salary

Many people in Canberra live on less, but at first glance, it doesn't look like a high salary. Are you sure it's in line with the going rate for the job? Also look at costs to rent property, etc. Your previous posts suggest you are looking for a 457 visa, so obviously you won't have much bargaining power once you uproot to take the job.

Don't forget school fees in the ACT for children on 457 visas - these can be very expensive.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 1:38 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

I think that's a very low salary for a single income family. You'd be taking home about $1500 per fortnight and wouldn't be eligible for government assistance with the kids etc (due to 457). I think you would have to work also, or you'd find it quite tight.

Good luck.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 3:31 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

50k for wife and 3 kids is low.

A good indication of salaries is having a look at federal pay on dept websites. They should list the pay with the APS level.

Originally Posted by riccardo1888
My wife, 3 kids and I are moving to Canberra within the next 10 weeks and my wife has been offered a job with a salary of $50,000 to start with.

I have heard Canberra is very expensive to live in and was wondering would this be hard to get by on (would I need a job?) or could we get bye ok on this ?

Thanks in advance

Richard
Old Aug 24th 2011, 3:51 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

50k That's like living of 20k in London.

I very much doubt that plenty of families would live on less. You need to work or this country will **** you.

Last edited by Sue; Aug 25th 2011 at 11:19 am. Reason: magic eraser
Old Aug 24th 2011, 6:51 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

I think that would be a real struggle for a family of 3 - probably enough for a single person to live comfortably. Beware the 457 visa - you pay for things others take for granted.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 7:07 am
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
I think that would be a real struggle for a family of 3 - probably enough for a single person to live comfortably. Beware the 457 visa - you pay for things others take for granted.
$50k would be a struggle, maybe do-able for a single person.

A rough example;

$780 weekly take home

$400 weekly rent
$150 weekly shop
$20 weekly electric
$20 weekly gas
$10 weekly water
$5 weekly contents insurance
$10 weekly car insurance
$10 weekly internet
$15 weekly mobile

$640 for just the basics.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 10:20 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by riccardo1888

Thanks in advance

Richard

Are you entilted to family assistance as that would be the deal breaker.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 10:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I have one child under 18 and have shared care with my ex. I can just about manage on $48k in Adelaide - which is a lot cheaper than Canberra. I also get Family Tax Benefit and rent assistance - not much, but I get something at least. You wouldn't be entitled being on a 457

So I'd say you will struggle on one income. Can she get Living Away from Home Allowance on top of her wage? will they help with school fees or anything else? may be worth asking her employers - it may make all the difference depending on how much it is.

Also, you say $50k to start with, how likely are they to increase that, how long is the to 'start with' period of time and how much would they increase it by?
Old Aug 24th 2011, 10:53 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

50k package or base?
Old Aug 24th 2011, 8:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Not a hope in hell. Sorry.

Average salary here would be close to $80k and most families are two income to make ends meet.

Your housing is going to cost you at least $20k pa and if, as JAJ mentioned, you happen to be on a 457 visa then you could be up for $30k pa in school fees with 3 kids unless your wife's occupation is on SOL.

You would really have to scrounge around for all benefits and salary sacrifice options to even come close to having a reasonable lifestyle (probably running two cars, insurances, entertainment, food, power etc). We are a retired couple and we dont splurge but pay everything on the credit card and pay it off each month - my credit card averages around $5k per month and we have no rent or mortgage to pay!
Old Aug 25th 2011, 7:20 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

very few people survive in Australia off one income. This is not the UK where it's possible to live off 1 income because everything is soo cheap.
Old Aug 25th 2011, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weebie
very few people survive in Australia off one income. This is not the UK where it's possible to live off 1 income because everything is soo cheap.
Quite a high percentage of parents at my daughters' school live off one income - however, I believe many of these are mortgage free

We survived on one income for nearly 4 years - and not a great deal more than the OP stated. However, we had a nice amount of equity to bring over and two young children, so family assistance was circa $500 a month.

I now work part-time and it does make a huge difference