Canberra

Old Feb 26th 2007, 8:38 pm

carmele is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canberra

What is in Canberra for children, ages of mine are 5 and 3.5? Are there lots of things to do? Zoo? An amusement park of some description? Playbarns? Other out dorsey activities such as maybe horse riding or........

It's tricky because when i look on google and enter canberra they love showing me these buildings! They are lovely buildings but I am certain there is more to it than that and that it has a lot to offer!

Anyone help me out? I have read posts by some who have got children of a similar age as mine?Any information greatly received!
Oh also flights to sydney and melbourne look regular, just thinking about weekends away etc?

What are the best bits........... ooooo come on sell it to me!
Thanks
C

Last edited by Pollyana; Feb 27th 2007 at 10:55 pm. Reason: spam url
Old Feb 26th 2007, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canberra

Originally Posted by carmele
What is in Canberra for children, ages of mine are 5 and 3.5? Are there lots of things to do? Zoo? An amusement park of some description? Playbarns? Other out dorsey activities such as maybe horse riding or........

It's tricky because when i look on google and enter canberra they love showing me these buildings! They are lovely buildings but I am certain there is more to it than that and that it has a lot to offer!

Anyone help me out? I have read posts by some who have got children of a similar age as mine?Any information greatly received!
Oh also flights to sydney and melbourne look regular, just thinking about weekends away etc?

What are the best bits........... ooooo come on sell it to me!
Thanks
C
x

http://www.touristaustralia.com/dest...uct_id=9040285

http://www.questacon.edu.au/index_flash.asp

http://www.zooquarium.com.au/

Much much more

Sas

Last edited by Pollyana; Feb 27th 2007 at 10:55 pm. Reason: spam url removed from quote
Old Feb 26th 2007, 9:18 pm

Thanks for the info sasbear, so much more..........?

What do you love about it?

Thanks
Carmel

Last edited by Pollyana; Feb 27th 2007 at 10:54 pm. Reason: url removed
Old Feb 26th 2007, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Where to start???

Clean
Safe
Quiet
beautiful
not too hot
not too cold
has 4 seasons
nothing like a big city
lots of choices for eating out
surrounded by countryside
90 minutes from the coast
90 minutes from the snow

It just really suits me and plus the added bonus is my asthma has al but gone
Sasx

Last edited by Pollyana; Feb 27th 2007 at 10:53 pm. Reason: Removing quoted post - contains spam url
Old Feb 26th 2007, 10:22 pm

These are great reasons, remarkable how it's helped with your asthma that's fabulous!

Sas, what place would you say it was like? Milton Keynes in terms of design?

Quiet? Does this mean the roads? or areas? in terms of the lack of children hanging around on street corners?

I'm worried it will be too quiet? Like no mans land? It's not as quiet as that is it?

Is there a big shopping area in the city centre with the usual shops etc?

I sense Canberra is built in pockets of areas?

My OH reckons there would be no traffic jams? It's funny how you conjure up all these ideas that couldn't be further from the truth! - Is it like a City on a Sunday? (Well what sunday's used to be like before shops opened every minute of the day!)

Thanks
Carmel

Last edited by Pollyana; Feb 27th 2007 at 10:52 pm. Reason: removing spam url
Old Feb 26th 2007, 10:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=carmele;4458587] These are great reasons, remarkable how it's helped with your asthma that's fabulous!

Yes I was on preventive and treatment inhalers and had a nebuliser at home

Sas, what place would you say it was like? Milton Keynes in terms of design?

I have hear it compared to Milton Keynes but I have never been there so hard to sday. It reminds me of lots of small villages (suburbs) and are linked with a good roadwork system - and lots of facilities in these areas as well as bigger facilities in specific locations - Belconnen, Woden, Tuggeranong, Civic

Quiet? Does this mean the roads? or areas? in terms of the lack of children hanging around on street corners?

both I suppose - no traffic jams as such - You only have to stop when you are at the lights! No kids hang around streets as such but they do have them hanging around the malls - never witnessed any trouble (they say Canberra is the safest city in the world) - when Tom's mates came to stay from UK they were in a caravan in front of the property. They couldn't beleive how quiet it was and played a game of spotting how many people walked past our house in one day. They counted 5! Not sure if they were kidding but we do live on a road where people dont walk unless they live here as it isn't a through road.

I'm worried it will be too quiet? Like no mans land? It's not as quiet as that is it?

Not as quiet as that - civic and shopping areas are busy and other areas come alive in the eveing - Dickson, Woden and Manuka

Is there a big shopping area in the city centre with the usual shops etc?

Yep and big shopping malls in Belconnen, Woden and tuggeranong also and lots of other areas - like the warehouse just opened near the airport - bit like Meadowhall

I sense Canberra is built in pockets of areas?

Exactly but linked quite well

My OH reckons there would be no traffic jams?

Some traffic jams but hardly ever - when new roads are being built - like the gunghalin link - then we have traffic jams - I had to wait all of 10 minutes in this last week!
Sas

Last edited by Pollyana; Feb 27th 2007 at 10:52 pm. Reason: Removing URL in quote
Old Feb 26th 2007, 11:11 pm

Meadowhall! - OH book the flights!!!

Thanks so much for the info it's helping me create a much clearer picture of what to expect when we arrive. Just found a website called thisweekinaustralia.com/canberra
Is there enough to keep your children occupied, sports and activities?
How long have you been there Sas?

Blimey is that the time! Can't get off " t'internet" once I start , research, research, reearch!

x
Old Feb 26th 2007, 11:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by carmele
Meadowhall! - OH book the flights!!!

Thanks so much for the info it's helping me create a much clearer picture of what to expect when we arrive. Just found a website called thisweekinaustralia.com/canberra
Is there enough to keep your children occupied, sports and activities?
How long have you been there Sas?

Blimey is that the time! Can't get off " t'internet" once I start , research, research, reearch!

x
September 04 and still love it.

I have mates who have kids that are never at home lol. After school activities are plentiful and lots of out of school sporty stuff too.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 11:47 pm

Sounds great, good to know it's as safe as it gets!

Can't believe the time! Promised myself an early night as well!

No doubt I will be popping up as a regular soon, questions! questions!

Thanks again

Carmel