Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Canadians headed to Australia

Canadians headed to Australia

Old Oct 14th 2009, 1:18 am
Forum Regular

Location: Toronto, Canada - Darwin NT - Newcastle NSW - Toronto - Townsville QLD - Brisbane - Toronto
paularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud of
Default Re: Canadians headed to Australia

Hi Dollys_girl....I'm a Canadian/Australian married to an Aussie...we live in Milton. We're heading to north Queensland - so other side of the country from Perth. We're planning to land there in January, for the start of the school year for our 9 yr old daughter.

Anyway, just wanted to say hello
Old Oct 14th 2009, 1:27 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dollys_girl
Got me there. Don't know what NOR or SOR mean yet.

We are going to be looking for rental accomodations in North West Perth. My husband is on a long-term temp visa so we can't buy a house (unless under $300K - or so I've read). Where we end up will depend on which school will accept our kids. We are applying at the Catholic schools and Colleges as we have one going in Year 6 and one in Year 8 next Feb.
I believe NOR and SOR mean north of the river and south of the river (I think).

I also think that the rules on buying property on a temp visa may have changed recently.

http://www.firb.gov.au/content/default.asp
http://www.firb.gov.au/content/polic...dential_policy
Old Oct 14th 2009, 3:40 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Got it in one Comet. NOR = north of the river and SOR = south of the river.

Dolly, if your husband is going to be working in northwest Perth you would probably want to live NOR. Otherwise it would be like commuting from N Van to Coquitlam every day for him.

We're up in the northern 'burbs in Butler. I'll send my mobile phone number via PM to you girls so we can organise something for when you arrive. January is school holidays so my kids will be home then. It gets mighty hot in January here in Perth and we have a pool so we'll organise a bbq or something at ours.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 3:45 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Japonica
Happy Thanksgiving. I went to look for turkey pieces here, thinking I could roast turkey parts or something and nope, just chicken available unless I buy turkey mince and make meatballs. LOL. I do miss the idea of pumpkin pie though so unless I buy some from the specialty importer in Melbourne, then it'll have to be sweet potato pie instead.

You'll have a few reminders of the Canadian way of thinking when you get here...we rented a house on a corner lot and for a split second when we were viewing it, the old "can't rent it, corner lot, too much shovelling" came into our heads.
I made a pumpkin pie for a Canadian exchange teacher we have at our school. I just used regular kent pumpkin available in Woolworths and steamed it and pureed it. It was lovely and tasted no different to when I used canned pumpkin in Canada, just a tip for you for next year.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 3:54 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
I made a pumpkin pie for a Canadian exchange teacher we have at our school. I just used regular kent pumpkin available in Woolworths and steamed it and pureed it. It was lovely and tasted no different to when I used canned pumpkin in Canada, just a tip for you for next year.
You have just made my OH a very happy man. Did you use a recipe or just wing it? I know you are a spectacular cook so probably just made it up in your head.

On that note I am bringing butter tarts to our business meeting next week. Only one of the docs here has heard of them and that's because he spent a year in Vancouver doing some training.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 3:56 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
You have just made my OH a very happy man. Did you use a recipe or just wing it? I know you are a spectacular cook so probably just made it up in your head.

On that note I am bringing butter tarts to our business meeting next week. Only one of the docs here has heard of them and that's because he spent a year in Vancouver doing some training.
http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/6226/pumpkin+pie

It really was very nice. The recipe makes a lot of mix and I halved it because I was using a small tart tin.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 3:57 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

This is my mother's recipe, which I suspect is actually Betty Crocker's recipe.

PUMPKIN PIE

For an 8 inch pie crust
1 egg
1 and 1/4 cups of canned pumpkin
2/3 cup of sugar
1/4 teaspoon of salt
3/4 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon of ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon of ground cloves
1 and 1/4 cups of evaporated milk (or substitute with light cream)

Mix all ingredients together, pour in pie crust. Cook at 425 Farenheight for 15 minutesReduce to 350 F for 35 more minutes.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 3:57 am
Canuck/Aussie

That's great.... it helps when it gives you the quantities knowing you don't have cans of pumpkin!
Old Oct 14th 2009, 4:02 am
Canuck/Aussie

I did post a recipe of pumpkin cheescake that my mom emailed me, but on closer inspection I could not even find pumkin listed in the recipe! I'll have to email her to find out what the deal is.

Last edited by comet555; Oct 14th 2009 at 4:05 am. Reason: no pumkin in recipe!
Old Oct 14th 2009, 4:04 am
Gutter Gob!!

Originally Posted by comet555
Here's something a bit different. This was my favourite Thangsgiving treat. Apologies for the formatting, I copied it from an email I saved.

PUMPKIN CHEESECAKE PIE

Crust:
2 cups graham wafers (500 ml)
2/3 cup of melted butter (150 ml)
3 tablespoons of sugar (50 ml)
pinch of cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg

Mix together, press into a springform pan. If wanted cut out a circle of parchment paper and line the pan first before putting in crust.

Filling:
Beat 1 pound (500g) of cream cheese and 2/3 of a cup of sugar (150 ml) until light and fluffy. Beat in 1/4 cup (50 ml) of flour. Add 6 eggs, one at a time, beat after each one. Add 1 teaspoon cinnamon (5 ml), 3/4 teaspoon nutmeg (4 ml), 1/4 teaspoon of all spice (1 ml). Pour filling into pan, on top of the crust.

Bake at 350 F (180 C) or (160 C fan forced) for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Cheesecake should be barely firm to the touch. Run a knife around the edge of the pan to loosen the cake. Turn off the heat, and let the cheesecake stand in the oven for another 30 minutes. Open the oven door and let stand for another 30 minutes. Put it on a wire rack and let cool again for 1 hour. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. Decorate with whip cream on top if desired, you can also sprinkle icing suger (powdered sugar) if you like.
Where is the pumpkin????
Old Oct 14th 2009, 4:07 am
Still alive

Where is the pumpkin????
It's probably better off without it. I actually hate pumpkin pie but my husband and kids love it. Now, give me a nice piece of warm apple pie with pralines & cream ice cream and I'll be yours forever.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 4:07 am
Canuck/Aussie

Where is the pumpkin????
I just spotted that too! My mom emailed it to me a year ago and I saved it. I never noticed the lack of pumpkin in that one! She's in Alberta right now visiting family but I'll definitely ask her what's up with it when she gets back.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 4:10 am
Canuck/Aussie

I suspect this is very similar to her recipe (the complete one that is!):
http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes....kin-cheesecake
Old Oct 14th 2009, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

Going back to the Brisbane - Melbourne choice:

In favour of Melbourne:
- breadth of job market
- restaurants / nightlife (by a considerable margin)
- shopping (Melbourne is a larger, longer-established commercial centre; it has a wider array of both discount and high-end shops)
- fresh food market (Brisbane has no true equivalent to Footscray [for Torontonians, think Kensington or St. Lawrence Markets])
- commuter traffic (surprising, since Brisbane is smaller, but true)

In favour of Brisbane:
- *much* better weather
- more attractive terrain (most of Melbourne is basically flat; Brisbane proper is pleasantly hilly, and there are lots of physically attractive locations in the commutable hinterland)
- more relaxed pace of life
- easier access to a huge variety of beaches and other family recreation options
- slightly cheaper housing

I'm an ex-Torontonian currently living in Brisbane; my wife's family is from Melbourne. I do miss some of the 'big city' features of Toronto and Melbourne, but not enough to relocate on that basis. (Brisbane supposedly has 1.7M people, but 'feels' like a *much* smaller city in terms of downtown development and cultural amenities; the earlier comparison to Calgary is actually pretty apt.)

Overall, we're *very* happy with Brisbane, but may need to leave it due to lack of career opportunity.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Toronto, Canada - Darwin NT - Newcastle NSW - Toronto - Townsville QLD - Brisbane - Toronto
paularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud of

Hi Abner,

What do you and your wife do? Re: lack of career opportunities comment

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.