Reload this Page >

Canadians headed to Australia

Canadians headed to Australia

Old Jan 18th 2010, 4:54 pm
Just Joined

Green Hornet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Canadians headed to Australia

Originally Posted by paularn
Our house closes on Wednesday and our movers are coming tomorrow to pack and Wednesday it will be loaded into the container. Nervous as hell. Not sure why though as I've lived in OZ in the past, so know what to expect. Going to miss family ALOT and just hoping that hubby and I land jobs easily and quickly and that our 9yr old daughter settles into school easily.

I've had my fair share of moments of "WTF am I doing?".

I think I'm more upset and worried about my dog that I have to board until March at which time she'll fly to Sydney and be quarantined for 4-5 weeks. We won't see her until end of April. Have to keep telling myself that she will be ok
Anyway, one of my biggest reasons for moving back to Australia is because of the weather here, hate the snow and cold and wouldn't you know it, we are in the 3rd week of January and we have yet to get a snowstorm (southern Ontario)...I can see the grass in my front and backyards. Seems strange. IF all winters were like this I wouldn't have a problem. And, I've probably just jinxed myself and a huge storm will come on the day we want to fly out
Sounds similer to us. We really cant stand the weather here even in so called mild west coast it is cold and nasty in the single digits and raining all the time.
In alot of ways it was better back east , at least it was brighter back east even if it was freezing for half the year .

We have three dogs we wanted to bring with us so the whole chips and testing had to be done and the wife is figureing out the boarding. Hate the thought of haveing them boarded for a month of quarentine .

who are you useing for your container and if you dont mind me asking roughly how much ? and volume?

You are going to townsville?

Thanks

Last edited by Green Hornet; Jan 18th 2010 at 4:56 pm.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Toronto, Canada - Darwin NT - Newcastle NSW - Toronto - Townsville QLD - Brisbane - Toronto
paularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Green Hornet
Sounds similer to us. We really cant stand the weather here even in so called mild west coast it is cold and nasty in the single digits and raining all the time.
In alot of ways it was better back east , at least it was brighter back east even if it was freezing for half the year .

We have three dogs we wanted to bring with us so the whole chips and testing had to be done and the wife is figureing out the boarding. Hate the thought of haveing them boarded for a month of quarentine .

who are you useing for your container and if you dont mind me asking roughly how much ? and volume?

You are going to townsville?

Thanks
Hi,

The thing with our dog is that she will need to spend 3 months in quarantine because of the rabies titre test only getting done at the end of October. End of April will be the 6 month mark where she can be let go to our home. So I'm debating whether I board her here for 2 months and then the last bit done in OZ or whether I should just send her there at the end of January and she spends the full time in OZ in quarantine. Either way she will be boarded/kennelled. So I'm tossing around do I send her now so that I can be the one to do the final leg of paperwork etc that needs to be done and I get her to the airport etc, or do I board her and depend on someone here to do all the last bits for me. I need to make the decision and I need to make it quick!

Our mover - we chose Global International Canada based out of Markham Ontario. We have a near full 20 ft container for $8900 + insurance. I believe we will also have about a $800-1000 cost in Australia. That is door to door, they do all the packing and unpacking. He's told me it is 850cuft and 5525lbs.

yes we are going to Townsville, where are you headed?
Old Jan 18th 2010, 11:23 pm
Forum Regular

dollys_girl will become famous soon enoughdollys_girl will become famous soon enough

Our house closes on Wednesday and our movers are coming tomorrow to pack and Wednesday it will be loaded into the container. Nervous as hell. Not sure why though as I've lived in OZ in the past, so know what to expect. Going to miss family ALOT and just hoping that hubby and I land jobs easily and quickly and that our 9yr old daughter settles into school easily.

I think I'm more upset and worried about my dog that I have to board until March at which time she'll fly to Sydney and be quarantined for 4-5 weeks. We won't see her until end of April. Have to keep telling myself that she will be ok

Anyway, one of my biggest reasons for moving back to Australia is because of the weather here, hate the snow and cold and wouldn't you know it, we are in the 3rd week of January and we have yet to get a snowstorm (southern Ontario)...I can see the grass in my front and backyards. Seems strange. IF all winters were like this I wouldn't have a problem. And, I've probably just jinxed myself and a huge storm will come on the day we want to fly out
Paula, sorry I missed meeting you before I left. We've been checking in with our friends back in Oakville/Milton and ,yes, you guys have not had a real winter yet. Don't fret, start thinking summer and pack up those winter things for good! We handed off our kids winter coats and boots to relatives at the airport to donate to kids who don't have any.

Best of luck with the move and getting your house packed up.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 12:07 am
Forum Regular

alzo will become famous soon enoughalzo will become famous soon enough

Anyone know of any other option other than western union or the banks to transfer funds without paying through your nose in fees. The only option I found that does not charge fees for over 10k is Canadian forex(strange enough they ate owned by an Aussie bank).

http://www.canadianforex.ca/get-star...e-services.asp
Old Jan 19th 2010, 12:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

I've had almost weekly "WTF am I doing here?" episodes. But it passes. My husband, who has settled easier than I have at present, doesn't give it a second thought.

The irony for us too...we were leaving the snow and cold, but then Edmonton had one of the warmest Septembers on record, days 30C and the same with November...I had a friend pointing out the days it hit plus 17.

I'm sure your daughter will do fine. School's great for making new friends etc. My 5 year old has been invited to two birthday parties so far and she meets up with classmates for playdates etc.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alzo
Anyone know of any other option other than western union or the banks to transfer funds without paying through your nose in fees. The only option I found that does not charge fees for over 10k is Canadian forex(strange enough they ate owned by an Aussie bank).

http://www.canadianforex.ca/get-star...e-services.asp
We used both Ozforex/Canadian forex and Currency Online. http://www.currencyonline.com/

Not much difference, from our experience, between the two. The Ozforex/Canadian forex was easier (after we got it set up) in that we could do the transfer ourselves online through our existing internet banking (bill payment screen) with our Canadian account. The Currency Online had to be a wire transfer, which can be hard to do with the time difference and needing a fax machine so you can send the Canadian bank a written letter with signature as authorization to do the transfer. And there's the bank service charge for doing a wire transfer.

The Canadian forex took a bit of work to get it set up on our internet banking site...we did a search for companies and it didn't show up (it wasn't recognized). So, we made a few phone calls to the Forex people and to the bank in Canada and the bank had to input it manually. But it worked out. Also, it depends on how much you're transferring at a time. I know when we did the internet banking transfer (it goes through like a bill payment), there was a $5000 maximum amount per transaction, so if you're doing a lot at once, you might want to do a wire transfer instead.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 12:30 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Let's arrange something for one day in February to get together. We live north, but we're happy to travel. Shall we look at meeting in King's Park one day? I'll get my mum to send me over a Canadian Flag so you can all find us.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 1:30 am
Forum Regular

dollys_girl will become famous soon enoughdollys_girl will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Japonica
We used both Ozforex/Canadian forex and Currency Online. http://www.currencyonline.com/

Not much difference, from our experience, between the two. The Ozforex/Canadian forex was easier (after we got it set up) in that we could do the transfer ourselves online through our existing internet banking (bill payment screen) with our Canadian account. The Currency Online had to be a wire transfer, which can be hard to do with the time difference and needing a fax machine so you can send the Canadian bank a written letter with signature as authorization to do the transfer. And there's the bank service charge for doing a wire transfer.

The Canadian forex took a bit of work to get it set up on our internet banking site...we did a search for companies and it didn't show up (it wasn't recognized). So, we made a few phone calls to the Forex people and to the bank in Canada and the bank had to input it manually. But it worked out. Also, it depends on how much you're transferring at a time. I know when we did the internet banking transfer (it goes through like a bill payment), there was a $5000 maximum amount per transaction, so if you're doing a lot at once, you might want to do a wire transfer instead.
We use Canadian Forex as well but did my homework as well. I tested a transfer of $10K AUS and with forex it was $9900 CDN (different exchange rate back in Nov 09). The same transfer through my TD Canada Trust account would have cost me $10,150 CDN - More than $AUS! - and I would have to fax my home branch each time and wait for my branch manager to approve it. So Forex would keep an extra $200-300 in my pocket.

Forex charges a transaction fee of $10 for amounts under $10K which was definitely still cheaper than my Bank exchange. With Forex, as mentioned earlier, you just need to set them up as a bill and pay them as you would your Visa or MC bill. Simple transactions!
Old Jan 19th 2010, 1:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Let's arrange something for one day in February to get together. We live north, but we're happy to travel. Shall we look at meeting in King's Park one day? I'll get my mum to send me over a Canadian Flag so you can all find us.
Dorothy, I am all for a little Cdn meet-up in Perth! I too am NOR (learnt that expression thanks to this group) but also happy to travel.

I have a Canadian flag but we'll see if my container arrives with my stuff before then. Was due this week but we were updated that our stuff just left Singapore.

Also interested in meeting up with anyone else with 'tween kids. I have two boys 10 & 12 and they are looking for similar aged kids to meet.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dollys_girl
We use Canadian Forex as well but did my homework as well. I tested a transfer of $10K AUS and with forex it was $9900 CDN (different exchange rate back in Nov 09). The same transfer through my TD Canada Trust account would have cost me $10,150 CDN - More than $AUS! - and I would have to fax my home branch each time and wait for my branch manager to approve it. So Forex would keep an extra $200-300 in my pocket.

Forex charges a transaction fee of $10 for amounts under $10K which was definitely still cheaper than my Bank exchange. With Forex, as mentioned earlier, you just need to set them up as a bill and pay them as you would your Visa or MC bill. Simple transactions!
Yup, I couldn't believe our bank's exchange rate...about 3 cents on a dollar difference (not in our favour) than what forex was offering. It's best to avoid the banks for exchanging a large amount of money.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 2:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Dorothy, I am all for a little Cdn meet-up in Perth! I too am NOR (learnt that expression thanks to this group) but also happy to travel.

I have a Canadian flag but we'll see if my container arrives with my stuff before then. Was due this week but we were updated that our stuff just left Singapore.

Also interested in meeting up with anyone else with 'tween kids. I have two boys 10 & 12 and they are looking for similar aged kids to meet.
Dorothy, Dolly...I'm up for a meet up too. King's park or something sounds fine. If it's a weekend, then my husband can come along to help wrangle the kids...they're 5 and almost 2.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 3:08 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Japonica
Dorothy, Dolly...I'm up for a meet up too. King's park or something sounds fine. If it's a weekend, then my husband can come along to help wrangle the kids...they're 5 and almost 2.
Weekends are best for us too. I have a teenage daughter who is a great kid wrangler. I also have a 13 year old son, but he's not much of a people-person, so probably wouldn't want to come along to a meet. We'll leave it to Dolly to come up with a date since she's got the flag.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 3:53 am
Forum Regular

Weekends are best for us too. I have a teenage daughter who is a great kid wrangler. I also have a 13 year old son, but he's not much of a people-person, so probably wouldn't want to come along to a meet. We'll leave it to Dolly to come up with a date since she's got the flag.
Flags not here yet! Still en-route. Your mom's mail may be quicker than getting my container into port and through quarantine!! I received a letter from my sister in Canada sent on Dec 30th and I received it Jan 4th. How's that for mail over the New Year holiday.

Would you ladies like to meet for coffee or a Gloria Jean's before we plan to get the clan's together? I'll DM you.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 6:34 am
Still alive

Flags not here yet! Still en-route. Your mom's mail may be quicker than getting my container into port and through quarantine!! I received a letter from my sister in Canada sent on Dec 30th and I received it Jan 4th. How's that for mail over the New Year holiday.

Would you ladies like to meet for coffee or a Gloria Jean's before we plan to get the clan's together? I'll DM you.
Our first Christmas here my dad mailed us our parcel in November. It arrived in March. Truly Canada Post at its finest.

Yep, I've replied to your PM
Old Jan 19th 2010, 6:41 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by alzo
Anyone know of any other option other than western union or the banks to transfer funds without paying through your nose in fees.
We've used Ozforex several times. I find them far better than dealing with the bank. Ozforex is faster and the rate is always better too... plus there seems to be less hassle. It can take a bit of work to set it up but not too bad and it's definitely worth it.

Let's arrange something for one day in February to get together.
There's also someone on the Canucks Abroad message board looking for people in perth. Perhaps I'll direct here to this thread.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.