British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Can you work on a fiance visa? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/can-you-work-fiance-visa-230400/)

Wanderlust May 13th 2004 11:11 am

Can you work on a fiance visa?

The heading says it all really - can you work on a fiance or prospective spouse visa?

W.

bundy May 13th 2004 11:13 am

Re: Can you work on a fiance visa?

Originally posted by Wanderlust
The heading says it all really - can you work on a fiance or prospective spouse visa?

W.

Short answer, yes. PM Pollyana for more details

JAJ May 13th 2004 11:48 am

Yes, as far as DIMIA are concerned.

However, for many long term, career-orientated jobs, you may find an employer less than willing to hire you unless you have full PR.

Jeremy

Originally posted by bundy
Short answer, yes. PM Pollyana for more details

Wanderlust May 13th 2004 11:50 am

Thanks all for the answers!

W. :D

MrsDagboy May 13th 2004 12:39 pm

Originally posted by Wanderlust

W.
So, is there something we should know? *tapping foot* :p

Pollyana May 13th 2004 12:51 pm

Have pm'd you wanderlust, hope it makes sense!! Basically yes, you can. However, the sponsor (thats you!) has to be able to prove they can support the fiance for two years.
I think - and I'm sure Jeremy will have views on this - you will need to have done more than just validated your PR and gone back to the UK, before you can sponsor a fiance.

However, read the pm and get back to me!

Mrs D......I'll see you for pizza and a gossip tomorrow:D

Wanderlust May 13th 2004 12:53 pm

Polly - you're a lifesaver. You can answer Mrs D's question without me having to spill my guts to the entire internet community.
Cheers!

W. :D

Pollyana May 13th 2004 1:05 pm

Didn't sign the Official Secrets Act all those years ago for nothing, did I!!!Might cost you a beer one day though :)

Seriously, PM me any more questions, and I'll deal with Mrs D!:D (well, as much as ANYONE can deal with Mrs D!)

jodie May 13th 2004 1:15 pm

Hi Polyanna

Out of curiosity did you find it difficult to find work when you were on the pros spouse visa ?

Me the sponsor is heading home in just 10 days but the fiance is not coming out for a couple of months yet and would like to suss things out for him in the meantime.

Cheers

Jodie

Originally posted by Pollyana
Didn't sign the Official Secrets Act all those years ago for nothing, did I!!!Might cost you a beer one day though :)

Seriously, PM me any more questions, and I'll deal with Mrs D!:D (well, as much as ANYONE can deal with Mrs D!)

JAJ May 13th 2004 8:18 pm

If a PR is sponsoring for a fiance visa, then there is a requirement to be 'usually resident' in Australia.

Another point about which new PRs need to be very careful when sponsoring for spouse/fiance visas - DIMIA will most likely compare the spouse application to the sponsor's original PR application, and if they find you already had a spouse (not declared) when going through the PR process, they can initiate visa cancellation procedures.

The definition of 'spouse' can be complex, but if you even think there might be a problem, get professional advice *before* submitting any application.

Jeremy

Have pm'd you wanderlust, hope it makes sense!! Basically yes, you can. However, the sponsor (thats you!) has to be able to prove they can support the fiance for two years.
I think - and I'm sure Jeremy will have views on this - you will need to have done more than just validated your PR and gone back to the UK, before you can sponsor a fiance.

However, read the pm and get back to me!

Mrs D......I'll see you for pizza and a gossip tomorrow:D

Pollyana May 13th 2004 9:09 pm

Hi Jodie,
Re finding work - a lot of it depends how determined you are. I came over vowing I would do anything to start with.
Applied for everything I could feasibly do on Seek and in the paper, spoke to agencies. Took me three weeks to land a temp Christmas job with Australia Post. While doing that I just kept up saturation level application forms, and got offered my current one, which is just admin work, on pretty low wages, but its a job. They are taking advantage of me no end, and I'm not really enjoying it, but will stick it while I keep applying elsewhere. Its easier to get a job when you're IN a job, and having Aussie referees and work experience on the resume seems to count.

suss out the local papers, local job agencies etc, and tell him to be prepared to "slum it" for a while till he gets the chance to choose something better :)

mlbonner May 13th 2004 9:17 pm

Hi Jodie,
Re finding work - a lot of it depends how determined you are. I came over vowing I would do anything to start with.
Applied for everything I could feasibly do on Seek and in the paper, spoke to agencies. Took me three weeks to land a temp Christmas job with Australia Post. While doing that I just kept up saturation level application forms, and got offered my current one, which is just admin work, on pretty low wages, but its a job. They are taking advantage of me no end, and I'm not really enjoying it, but will stick it while I keep applying elsewhere. Its easier to get a job when you're IN a job, and having Aussie referees and work experience on the resume seems to count.

suss out the local papers, local job agencies etc, and tell him to be prepared to "slum it" for a while till he gets the chance to choose something better :)

Hi - when I was in Brisbane last year I managed to get a job at a call centre, I worked my little socks off and made it up to Deputy Team Leader for Ergon Energy products (associated with the call centre - they've even offered me a job when I get back out there :)). I managed to do this within the WHV requirements as well, so it can work out okay for you.
Like Pollyana says though, to begin with the job was awful, I really didn't like it, was about ten (slight exageration!) levels lower than I wanted to be at & I just wanted to leave, however it pays to stick with it, just to get your foot in the door :D

Cheers :cool:

bondipom May 13th 2004 9:25 pm

The PR requirement is up to the company and plenty will waive it if the right candidate turns up.

MrsDagboy May 14th 2004 12:05 am

Well DB can deal with me & keeps me in line - most of the time anyway :D .

Looking forward to all the goss! http://www.computerpannen.com/cwm/ot...s/boldblue.gif

jodie May 14th 2004 1:55 pm

thanks for the feedback Polyanna, yeah my fiance will definitely be prepared to do anything at all on his arrival so will I when I head next week. I have one good aussie referee but I have been away for four years so I am a small bit concerned.

seek is an excellent website I have started applying for loads as well but presumable they prefer you to be in Australia and actually meet them.

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Well DB can deal with me & keeps me in line - most of the time anyway :D .

Looking forward to all the goss! http://www.computerpannen.com/cwm/ot...s/boldblue.gif