Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can you work on a fiance visa?

Can you work on a fiance visa?

Old May 13th 2004, 11:11 am
Happy mum of 2 Aussies

Wanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to behold
Default Can you work on a fiance visa?

The heading says it all really - can you work on a fiance or prospective spouse visa?

W.
Old May 13th 2004, 11:13 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can you work on a fiance visa?

Originally posted by Wanderlust
The heading says it all really - can you work on a fiance or prospective spouse visa?

W.

Short answer, yes. PM Pollyana for more details
Old May 13th 2004, 11:48 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, as far as DIMIA are concerned.

However, for many long term, career-orientated jobs, you may find an employer less than willing to hire you unless you have full PR.

Jeremy

Originally posted by bundy
Short answer, yes. PM Pollyana for more details
Old May 13th 2004, 11:50 am
Happy mum of 2 Aussies

Wanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to behold

Thanks all for the answers!

W.
Old May 13th 2004, 12:39 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Wanderlust

W.
So, is there something we should know? *tapping foot*
Old May 13th 2004, 12:51 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Have pm'd you wanderlust, hope it makes sense!! Basically yes, you can. However, the sponsor (thats you!) has to be able to prove they can support the fiance for two years.
I think - and I'm sure Jeremy will have views on this - you will need to have done more than just validated your PR and gone back to the UK, before you can sponsor a fiance.

However, read the pm and get back to me!

Mrs D......I'll see you for pizza and a gossip tomorrow
Old May 13th 2004, 12:53 pm
Happy mum of 2 Aussies

Polly - you're a lifesaver. You can answer Mrs D's question without me having to spill my guts to the entire internet community.
Cheers!

W.
Old May 13th 2004, 1:05 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't sign the Official Secrets Act all those years ago for nothing, did I!!!Might cost you a beer one day though

Seriously, PM me any more questions, and I'll deal with Mrs D! (well, as much as ANYONE can deal with Mrs D!)
Old May 13th 2004, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

jodie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Polyanna

Out of curiosity did you find it difficult to find work when you were on the pros spouse visa ?

Me the sponsor is heading home in just 10 days but the fiance is not coming out for a couple of months yet and would like to suss things out for him in the meantime.

Cheers

Jodie

Originally posted by Pollyana
Didn't sign the Official Secrets Act all those years ago for nothing, did I!!!Might cost you a beer one day though

Seriously, PM me any more questions, and I'll deal with Mrs D! (well, as much as ANYONE can deal with Mrs D!)
Old May 13th 2004, 8:18 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

If a PR is sponsoring for a fiance visa, then there is a requirement to be 'usually resident' in Australia.

Another point about which new PRs need to be very careful when sponsoring for spouse/fiance visas - DIMIA will most likely compare the spouse application to the sponsor's original PR application, and if they find you already had a spouse (not declared) when going through the PR process, they can initiate visa cancellation procedures.

The definition of 'spouse' can be complex, but if you even think there might be a problem, get professional advice *before* submitting any application.

Jeremy

Have pm'd you wanderlust, hope it makes sense!! Basically yes, you can. However, the sponsor (thats you!) has to be able to prove they can support the fiance for two years.
I think - and I'm sure Jeremy will have views on this - you will need to have done more than just validated your PR and gone back to the UK, before you can sponsor a fiance.

However, read the pm and get back to me!

Mrs D......I'll see you for pizza and a gossip tomorrow
Old May 13th 2004, 9:09 pm
Home and Happy

Hi Jodie,
Re finding work - a lot of it depends how determined you are. I came over vowing I would do anything to start with.
Applied for everything I could feasibly do on Seek and in the paper, spoke to agencies. Took me three weeks to land a temp Christmas job with Australia Post. While doing that I just kept up saturation level application forms, and got offered my current one, which is just admin work, on pretty low wages, but its a job. They are taking advantage of me no end, and I'm not really enjoying it, but will stick it while I keep applying elsewhere. Its easier to get a job when you're IN a job, and having Aussie referees and work experience on the resume seems to count.

suss out the local papers, local job agencies etc, and tell him to be prepared to "slum it" for a while till he gets the chance to choose something better
Old May 13th 2004, 9:17 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Hi Jodie,
Re finding work - a lot of it depends how determined you are. I came over vowing I would do anything to start with.
Applied for everything I could feasibly do on Seek and in the paper, spoke to agencies. Took me three weeks to land a temp Christmas job with Australia Post. While doing that I just kept up saturation level application forms, and got offered my current one, which is just admin work, on pretty low wages, but its a job. They are taking advantage of me no end, and I'm not really enjoying it, but will stick it while I keep applying elsewhere. Its easier to get a job when you're IN a job, and having Aussie referees and work experience on the resume seems to count.

suss out the local papers, local job agencies etc, and tell him to be prepared to "slum it" for a while till he gets the chance to choose something better

Hi - when I was in Brisbane last year I managed to get a job at a call centre, I worked my little socks off and made it up to Deputy Team Leader for Ergon Energy products (associated with the call centre - they've even offered me a job when I get back out there ). I managed to do this within the WHV requirements as well, so it can work out okay for you.
Like Pollyana says though, to begin with the job was awful, I really didn't like it, was about ten (slight exageration!) levels lower than I wanted to be at & I just wanted to leave, however it pays to stick with it, just to get your foot in the door

Cheers
Old May 13th 2004, 9:25 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

The PR requirement is up to the company and plenty will waive it if the right candidate turns up.
Old May 14th 2004, 12:05 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Well DB can deal with me & keeps me in line - most of the time anyway .

Looking forward to all the goss!
Old May 14th 2004, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

jodie is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the feedback Polyanna, yeah my fiance will definitely be prepared to do anything at all on his arrival so will I when I head next week. I have one good aussie referee but I have been away for four years so I am a small bit concerned.

seek is an excellent website I have started applying for loads as well but presumable they prefer you to be in Australia and actually meet them.

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Well DB can deal with me & keeps me in line - most of the time anyway .

Looking forward to all the goss!